The Student Room Group

Orthodontics messed up! What should I do?

When I was 14
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go the docs and say your depressed , should come under the NHS:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by SugarPuddle
When I was 14, I had braces to correct my fang teeth and supposedly my overbite after my operation on my teeth (my fang teeth weren't going to grow down without the surgery, which was a success). My orthodontist only fitted the top brace and never fitted the bottom brace. He asked me if I wanted the bottom brace which I refused since I saw no point in it - he didn't mention the fact that the whole procedure would be pointless without it. All I could of think of was the fact that my bottom teeth were straight, what's the point? Being 14, I didn't know much about orthodontics and like everyone else that age, just wanted them off due to the pain. He never insisted or even bothered to explain to my mum and I that all this pain is for nothing because he knew that my teeth would become wonkier and my fang teeth would retract.

To make matters worse, instead of fitting the bottom brace, he glued two cemented blocks onto my bottom teeth to allow my fang teeth to come forward (the cemented blocks being made up of what you use for fillings, and there's still some on my teeth even after all these years). My retainer never fitted my mouth properly due to my poor bite and broke in my mouth, which he then refused to replace.

My teeth now are horrible. My overbite is giving me a lisp, my fang teeth have gone way back into my mouth so you can't see them any more when I smile, my front teeth are beginning to overlap and my bite still doesn't fit together properly. I also have a gap between the top and bottom teeth.

What should I do? I tried complaining but they didn't want to know so now I'm having to pay to get a consultation with him. Being a student with no money shows how desperate I'm getting to have these fixed.

Long story short: bottom brace was never fitted despite having an overbite, all my teeth are hugely messed up now. What should I do?

Start saving.
sue the dentist
Reply 4
Er...anyone else? I can't sue since I don't have the money to sue. Neither do I have any way to save up since I'm going to university.

I really don't see why I have to pay out for his laziness and mistakes...
Reply 5

I really don't see why I have to pay out for his laziness and mistakes...

His laziness and mistakes? Sounds to me you are just bitter about your own teeth and are taking it out on him mate.

He asked me if I wanted the bottom brace which I refused since I saw no point in it - he didn't mention the fact that the whole procedure would be pointless without it. All I could of think of was the fact that my bottom teeth were straight, what's the point? Being 14, I didn't know much about orthodontics and like everyone else that age, just wanted them off due to the pain. He never insisted or even bothered to explain to my mum and I that all this pain is for nothing because he knew that my teeth would become wonkier and my fang teeth would retract.

Teeth move. Your face and jaw develops as you grow older and most orthodontic treatment isn't permanent.

He asked you what you wanted, your mother was present and you refused. What did you expect him to do? Get out a G clamp and clamp open your mouth and fit the lower set? :s-smilie:

What do you mean you can't save because you are going to university? Get a part time job! Work in your holidays! That's a ridiculous thing to say.
Reply 6
Original post by digitalis
His laziness and mistakes? Sounds to me you are just bitter about your own teeth and are taking it out on him mate.

Teeth move. Your face and jaw develops as you grow older and most orthodontic treatment isn't permanent.

He asked you what you wanted, your mother was present and you refused. What did you expect him to do? Get out a G clamp and clamp open your mouth and fit the lower set? :s-smilie:

What do you mean you can't save because you are going to university? Get a part time job! Work in your holidays! That's a ridiculous thing to say.

right
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow. Okay. Did you not read what I wrote? Because I have an overbite, you HAVE to fix the bottom brace to fix it, which is what he was supposed to do. Especially since the whole reason I had braces was to bring my fang teeth forward. I shouldn't of got a say in it since I was 14 and knew nothing of what he had to do or what the outcome would be. It is his failing that he never even bothered to explain to us why I needed the bottom brace. It was pure laziness, it was never discussed properly. Any other orthodontist would of fixed it on no matter what. My teeth were never straight in the first place, they've been moving ever since because he didn't finish the work and he never replaced my retainer which broke because he didn't fit it into my mouth properly. Just absolute laziness all around.
He should of done his job properly instead of finding a quick way around the problem and therefore not fixing it whatsoever. I'm not bitter at all, I'm angry that he never did his job properly and it's his job to fix the mistakes he made. I have only had them over just over a year and since I'm 19, not in my thirties, I doubt my jaw has grown that hugely in a year that my teeth start impacting on themselves and moving so far back in my mouth they're no longer visible.

& braces cost nearly 6 grand. I won't have any time to work to fund that much money if I want to get my degree. Things aren't as simple as saving up 6 grand when you're struggling to eat due to lack of money because you're studying. If I had 6 grand to throw at him, I would, his mistake or not, just to get it done, but I don't. And he needs to finish what he started anyway. I only posted this up here to see if anyone knew what I should do, instead of being criticised. Thanks for your opinion anyway?

What degree are you studying? The only people who can chuck that around are people who are doing Medicine/Dentistry.
Reply 8
Wow. Okay. Did you not read what I wrote? Because I have an overbite, you HAVE to fix the bottom brace to fix it, which is what he was supposed to do. Especially since the whole reason I had braces was to bring my fang teeth forward. I shouldn't of got a say in it since I was 14 and knew nothing of what he had to do or what the outcome would be. It is his failing that he never even bothered to explain to us why I needed the bottom brace. It was pure laziness, it was never discussed properly. Any other orthodontist would of fixed it on no matter what. My teeth were never straight in the first place, they've been moving ever since because he didn't finish the work and he never replaced my retainer which broke because he didn't fit it into my mouth properly. Just absolute laziness all around.
He should of done his job properly instead of finding a quick way around the problem and therefore not fixing it whatsoever. I'm not bitter at all, I'm angry that he never did his job properly and it's his job to fix the mistakes he made. I have only had them over just over a year and since I'm 19, not in my thirties, I doubt my jaw has grown that hugely in a year that my teeth start impacting on themselves and moving so far back in my mouth they're no longer visible.

& braces cost nearly 6 grand. I won't have any time to work to fund that much money if I want to get my degree. Things aren't as simple as saving up 6 grand when you're struggling to eat due to lack of money because you're studying. If I had 6 grand to throw at him, I would, his mistake or not, just to get it done, but I don't. And he needs to finish what he started anyway. I only posted this up here to see if anyone knew what I should do, instead of being criticised. Thanks for your opinion anyway?

OK, firstly, I've been meaning to ask but: fang teeth?? :confused:

You failed to address what I brought up in my last post. How do you propose that he fitted the braces when you refused on the grounds of pain? Would it have even changed the outcome, I wonder, had he explained the necessity of it.

As for your jaw not changing because you are 19: are you telling me your body hasn't changed since you were 14? :rolleyes:

I assume from "Any other orthodontist would of fixed it on no matter what" that you have already sought second opinion and have determined that this treatment falls below the expected standard of a dentist. In that case, you should have no problems engaging a solicitor and filing suit against him for compensation and repair, as this is what you want done. Make sure it is no win, no fees......
Reply 9
When I was 14, I had braces to correct my fang teeth and supposedly my overbite after my operation on my teeth (my fang teeth weren't going to grow down without the surgery, which was a success). My orthodontist only fitted the top brace and never fitted the bottom brace. He asked me if I wanted the bottom brace which I refused since I saw no point in it - he didn't mention the fact that the whole procedure would be pointless without it. All I could of think of was the fact that my bottom teeth were straight, what's the point? Being 14, I didn't know much about orthodontics and like everyone else that age, just wanted them off due to the pain. He never insisted or even bothered to explain to my mum and I that all this pain is for nothing because he knew that my teeth would become wonkier and my fang teeth would retract.

To make matters worse, instead of fitting the bottom brace, he glued two cemented blocks onto my bottom teeth to allow my fang teeth to come forward (the cemented blocks being made up of what you use for fillings, and there's still some on my teeth even after all these years). My retainer never fitted my mouth properly due to my poor bite and broke in my mouth, which he then refused to replace.

My teeth now are horrible. My overbite is giving me a lisp, my fang teeth have gone way back into my mouth so you can't see them any more when I smile, my front teeth are beginning to overlap and my bite still doesn't fit together properly. I also have a gap between the top and bottom teeth.

What should I do? I tried complaining but they didn't want to know so now I'm having to pay to get a consultation with him. Being a student with no money shows how desperate I'm getting to have these fixed.

Long story short: bottom brace was never fitted despite having an overbite, all my teeth are hugely messed up now. What should I do?

I don't think you have a case regarding the bottom teeth. He asked you if you wanted it and you declined consent. While legally he could have taken your mother's consent, in practice no orthodontist is going to forcibly fit a bottom brace to a child who is refusing to have it fitted. He could hardly pin you down and force it in your mouth.

Understandably, you are now saying that if he had fully explained the reason for the bottom brace you would have consented. But from the POV of a legal claim the burden of proof would be on you to show that:

1) He didn't provide you with enough information to make a fully informed decision on consent (this would also include any leaflets he gave you about the procedure, which I find they tend to throw at you like candy so they can show they've "explained everything", even if they haven't actually said a word about it;
2) If he had provided you with that information you wuold have consented. And this is without the benefit of hindsight. I.e. would the 14 year old girl in the chair have consented to a procedure which she knew would cause more pain to teeth that my her own admission were already straight. I'm not doubting you would have, but the burden would be on you to prove that, which will not be easy. Consent claims are never easy.

I don't have very much information on the other work done, such as whether the cement was put on incorrectly (It sounds like it was supposed to stay in the mouth for at least the duration of the brace, but I'm not sure how much is still left when you say there is "some still on your teeth" - if it is a small amount and its not doing any harm its probably reasonable), whether the retainer was measured correctly, whether the orthodontal treatment is responsible for your lisp and the current cosmetic defects and whether these are recognised complications of having a brace in the first place.

Your case sounds quite complicated, to be honest. There might be something there, there might not. You have three years to bring a clinical negligence claim, which, as you were a minor when you had the treatment, will run from your 18th birthday (i.e. expires when you hit 21). I'm not sure how old you are, but that will obviously dictate what you do.

In the first instance I would suggest making a complaint. Sometimes an explanation of what went wrong is enough. In rare occassions they may even agree to redo the work. If you're not happy following that its probably worth looking into making a claim if you wanted to.

With regards to funding I'd suggest asking your parents (if you live with them) to check their insurance policies for any legal expenses insurance, which might cover the costs of a claim. If not, check if you're entitled to legal aid. There's a means test (how much your household income is) plus a merits test. My gut instinct is that you would fail the merits test, because they demand quite a high chance of a succesful claim, but its worth applying if you meet the means test.

If that's also a no, you might be able to get a solicitor to take it on a conditional fee agreement (I.e. no win no fee) but be VERY careful what you're signing up to. Some will expect you to pay expenses, which can range from a few hundred to a thousand pounds plus. They're not scams, but make sure you know exactly what you are signing yourself up to and in what circumstances you would be liable to pay for anything. You could either try one of the claims management companies (the "have you had an accident?" ones you see on TV), but bear in mind their panel firm may be some way away from you. That's probably not a problem at this stage, but if you want to see someone face to face you might want to start with the Law Society's Find a Solicitor tool on their website to look for a local firm instead.

Also worth a mention, if you are still under 18 you would to bring a claim via a responsible adult (usually a parent) as your 'Litigation Friend'. They would sign any legal proceedings on your behalf and probably deal with most of the claim for you.

Whatever you do, good luck. Feel free to PM me if any questions. Bear in mind that anything I've said is purely on a very brief look at the facts and of course nothing should be held to be binding legal advice. I'm not acting for you, just giving you my thoughts.
I have braces to correct a gap between my two front teeth caused by not having lateral incisors. I also do not have a brace on the bottom row, despite the orthodontist saying he was going to fit one in the initial consultation. He changed his mind of his own accord but I trust him, he's the expert.

Anyway I can only see good things with my teeth, they are coming along great. I can't see how it would be possible for your teeth to get worse during treatment, so I can only assume you have done something wrong after.

Are you sure you followed the instructions on wearing your retainers absolutely to the letter? Even straying a little can allow the teeth to move again. Also, you should continue to have follow up appointments after treatment or during the main retainer phase where he would spot any problems.
Reply 11
Original post by digitalis
OK, firstly, I've been meaning to ask but: fang teeth?? :confused:

I'm no dentist, but canines, surely?
Original post by Norton1
I'm no dentist, but canines, surely?

Me neither mate, I genuinely don't have a clue what 'fang teeth' are. Does sound like how a ten year old would describe them though, that I do know.
Original post by Vohamanah
I don't think you have a case regarding the bottom teeth. He asked you if you wanted it and you declined consent. While legally he could have taken your mother's consent, in practice no orthodontist is going to forcibly fit a bottom brace to a child who is refusing to have it fitted. He could hardly pin you down and force it in your mouth.

Understandably, you are now saying that if he had fully explained the reason for the bottom brace you would have consented. But from the POV of a legal claim the burden of proof would be on you to show that:

1) He didn't provide you with enough information to make a fully informed decision on consent (this would also include any leaflets he gave you about the procedure, which I find they tend to throw at you like candy so they can show they've "explained everything", even if they haven't actually said a word about it;
2) If he had provided you with that information you wuold have consented. And this is without the benefit of hindsight. I.e. would the 14 year old girl in the chair have consented to a procedure which she knew would cause more pain to teeth that my her own admission were already straight. I'm not doubting you would have, but the burden would be on you to prove that, which will not be easy. Consent claims are never easy.

I don't have very much information on the other work done, such as whether the cement was put on incorrectly (It sounds like it was supposed to stay in the mouth for at least the duration of the brace, but I'm not sure how much is still left when you say there is "some still on your teeth" - if it is a small amount and its not doing any harm its probably reasonable), whether the retainer was measured correctly, whether the orthodontal treatment is responsible for your lisp and the current cosmetic defects and whether these are recognised complications of having a brace in the first place.

Your case sounds quite complicated, to be honest. There might be something there, there might not. You have three years to bring a clinical negligence claim, which, as you were a minor when you had the treatment, will run from your 18th birthday (i.e. expires when you hit 21). I'm not sure how old you are, but that will obviously dictate what you do.

In the first instance I would suggest making a complaint. Sometimes an explanation of what went wrong is enough. In rare occassions they may even agree to redo the work. If you're not happy following that its probably worth looking into making a claim if you wanted to.

With regards to funding I'd suggest asking your parents (if you live with them) to check their insurance policies for any legal expenses insurance, which might cover the costs of a claim. If not, check if you're entitled to legal aid. There's a means test (how much your household income is) plus a merits test. My gut instinct is that you would fail the merits test, because they demand quite a high chance of a succesful claim, but its worth applying if you meet the means test.

If that's also a no, you might be able to get a solicitor to take it on a conditional fee agreement (I.e. no win no fee) but be VERY careful what you're signing up to. Some will expect you to pay expenses, which can range from a few hundred to a thousand pounds plus. They're not scams, but make sure you know exactly what you are signing yourself up to and in what circumstances you would be liable to pay for anything. You could either try one of the claims management companies (the "have you had an accident?" ones you see on TV), but bear in mind their panel firm may be some way away from you. That's probably not a problem at this stage, but if you want to see someone face to face you might want to start with the Law Society's Find a Solicitor tool on their website to look for a local firm instead.

Also worth a mention, if you are still under 18 you would to bring a claim via a responsible adult (usually a parent) as your 'Litigation Friend'. They would sign any legal proceedings on your behalf and probably deal with most of the claim for you.

Whatever you do, good luck. Feel free to PM me if any questions. Bear in mind that anything I've said is purely on a very brief look at the facts and of course nothing should be held to be binding legal advice. I'm not acting for you, just giving you my thoughts.

PRSOM. Do sound like you know what you are talking about :smile:
He never insisted or even bothered to explain to my mum and I that all this pain is for nothing because he knew that my teeth would become wonkier and my fang teeth would retract.

Did you ask him to explain or not?

I was offered braces around the same age. The dentist wasn't overly sure if I'd manage with them. Given that I currently have several teeth coming through, they'd probably be wonky again anyway.
Reply 15
Probably unhelpful as not very knowledgeable about dentistry/orthodontic practice but...

How old are you? As long as you're in full time education and 18 or under I'm sure you can get them done. I had a similar issue, had twin block (jaw aligning) braces at 13, when I reached 17 (being more self aware) I realised they still were pretty bad and wonky, was sent to many orthodontists for help, some rejected me, then when I was 18 I went to one and said how they were getting me down, and they gave me train tracks for free on NHS.
Reply 16
Original post by fnm
Probably unhelpful as not very knowledgeable about dentistry/orthodontic practice but...

How old are you? As long as you're in full time education and 18 or under I'm sure you can get them done. I had a similar issue, had twin block (jaw aligning) braces at 13, when I reached 17 (being more self aware) I realised they still were pretty bad and wonky, was sent to many orthodontists for help, some rejected me, then when I was 18 I went to one and said how they were getting me down, and they gave me train tracks for free on NHS.

That must of been such a pain! I'm glad they refitted them for you, did you have to pay to go have all those consultations? I'll definitely tell them how they're causing me pain and getting me down because it's the truth and see how it goes. I'm booking an appointment tomorrow to ask him about the procedure and if he can do anything to fix the problem, and if not, how much it's going to cost. I think since they've cost steadily worse in the last year, the retainer was never fitted properly, there were no follow up appointments and the procedure wasn't completed despite it being on his notes to do, it's definitely worth a shot.
Reply 17
That must of been such a pain! I'm glad they refitted them for you, did you have to pay to go have all those consultations? I'll definitely tell them how they're causing me pain and getting me down because it's the truth and see how it goes. I'm booking an appointment tomorrow to ask him about the procedure and if he can do anything to fix the problem, and if not, how much it's going to cost. I think since they've cost steadily worse in the last year, the retainer was never fitted properly, there were no follow up appointments and the procedure wasn't completed despite it being on his notes to do, it's definitely worth a shot.

No I didn't, as I was under 18. Honestly with the orthodontists it was a bit hit and miss, but I could tell some where more likely to say yes than others if that makes sense...the person who said yes was a woman who was really friendly and you could tell she wanted to help, especially as I said they were getting me down etc. Keep persevering. Even exaggerate it...say your previous ortho was going to give you them again or that your dentist recommends having them and say that they're really making you sad. You're well in your rights to have them.
Reply 18
Original post by fnm
No I didn't, as I was under 18. Honestly with the orthodontists it was a bit hit and miss, but I could tell some where more likely to say yes than others if that makes sense...the person who said yes was a woman who was really friendly and you could tell she wanted to help, especially as I said they were getting me down etc. Keep persevering. Even exaggerate it...say your previous ortho was going to give you them again or that your dentist recommends having them and say that they're really making you sad. You're well in your rights to have them.

I'm so glad someone on here has actually seen my problem for what it is and see that it's getting me down, moreso than criticising me for not saying yes to something I had no clue about. I'm moving soon to go to university so if I fail to get them here, I'll see if I can get some money together to go visit for a consultation there. I asked my dentist about it about a month ago and he said I definitely need braces again but it will cost thousands to fix, and that he didn't want anything to do with it because the mistake is so evident that I could sue my orthodontist. He offered the referral but we saw no point on it because he said that it would cost thousands of pounds to fix, something we don't have. But now that it's beginning to get painful and my teeth are beginning to overlap, we see a definite need in going to see what has happened.

You got so lucky with your orthodontist, but you were of age to get braces for free, I'm not.
Reply 19
I'm so glad someone on here has actually seen my problem for what it is and see that it's getting me down, moreso than criticising me for not saying yes to something I had no clue about. I'm moving soon to go to university so if I fail to get them here, I'll see if I can get some money together to go visit for a consultation there. I asked my dentist about it about a month ago and he said I definitely need braces again but it will cost thousands to fix, and that he didn't want anything to do with it because the mistake is so evident that I could sue my orthodontist. He offered the referral but we saw no point on it because he said that it would cost thousands of pounds to fix, something we don't have. But now that it's beginning to get painful and my teeth are beginning to overlap, we see a definite need in going to see what has happened.

You got so lucky with your orthodontist, but you were of age to get braces for free, I'm not.

How old are you? If you're 18 it's fine. I got mine when I was 18 in the last few months of sixth form...my ortho kept asking are you sue you want them even when at uni, i said of course. well worth it. good luck.

Quick Reply