The Student Room Group

Is the UK preparing for war or for the Olympic Games?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Perseveranze
Except, 99.3% terrorists are Non-Muslim.

Today, I’d like to update our readers with new Europol data: the data for 2009 and 2010 is now available.

Once again, a minuscule percentage of terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by Muslims. In 2009 and 2010, there were a grand total of 543 terrorist attacks, of which only 4 were committed by Muslims. This means that only 0.7% of terrorist attacks–again, less than 1%–were committed by Muslims.

Meanwhile, in that same time frame, separatist groups in Europe committed 397 terrorist attacks, or 73% of terrorist attacks overall. In other words, separatist groups committed 99.2 times (almost 100 times) more terrorist attacks than Muslims.

Another 85 attacks were committed by left-wing groups, accounting for about 16% of terrorist attacks overall.

Here is the data for 2009:

And for 2010:

In the 2010 report, the annex contains a summary of the results from the previous and current years:

(Due to size constraints, the table is a bit difficult to read here; you can see the actual report here.)

This “mega-table” shows that from 2007 to 2009, out of 1,317 terrorist attacks only 3 of them were committed by Muslims. From a percentage standpoint, that means only about 0.2% of terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by Muslims in those years–again, far less than 1%.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/11/updated-europol-data-less-than-1-of-terrorist-attacks-by-muslims/

You must be a Muslim, considering you defend them so vehemently.
Reply 41
Well I guess there is going to be a riot at how terrible our opening ceremony will be
Reply 42
If I'm honest I don't understand why G4S were given the contract ahead of the armed forces.

Having circa 10,000 briefly/barely trained general public holding down the security, or the british army? I know what I'd prefer as a member of the general public.

I also know what I'd prefer if I was a terrorist...

I'm quite happy that G4S have ****ed up because I think the presence of the army in London will do a great deal to restore confidence in the general public amid security fears.
The UK is not preparing for war, it is protecting itself from Muslims
Reply 44
London Olympics is a big deal and the govt is supposed to be ready for any situation. But, i do believe they're going a tad overboard :/
Original post by Harry Callahan
He's right, though. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.

So the IRA are Muslims are they? :rolleyes:

Recent reports suggest that its actually Latin America that produces the vast majorty of terrorists in the world today. The Muslims seem to be slacking as of recent.
Original post by Greenlaner

Recent reports suggest that its actually Latin America that produces the vast majorty of terrorists in the world today. The Muslims seem to be slacking as of recent.

Can I see this report ?
Reply 47
I was watching the BBC news the other day and they were interviewing a soldier in London. He said that if an unauthorised plane flies into the restricted fly zone and does not respond to the military when they attempt to understand why its there and remove it they will shoot to down it. Now I'm not a military strategist or anything, but isn't that a bit of a bad idea? Shooting down an aircraft over a densely populated area? It seems a bit counter productive, stopping a plane being driven into people by dropping it on some other people.
Reply 48
Original post by Bronze Thistle
Can I see this report ?

Don't know how reliable this is...

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not-all-terrorists-are-muslims/

*edit*

After a small amount of further digging it transpires that some of the terrorist acts included in this data are animal rights activists spraying graffiti on a construction site and a racist throwing a molotov at a synagogue. Not exactly on the same level as flying planes into buildings, imho.
(edited 11 years ago)
Lord Coe was a good athlete, that does not make him someone who can lead an organisation. Two security contracts at least should have been awarded so that the fiasco could have been avoided.
Reply 50
Original post by Tesphena
I was watching the BBC news the other day and they were interviewing a soldier in London. He said that if an unauthorised plane flies into the restricted fly zone and does not respond to the military when they attempt to understand why its there and remove it they will shoot to down it. Now I'm not a military strategist or anything, but isn't that a bit of a bad idea? Shooting down an aircraft over a densely populated area? It seems a bit counter productive, stopping a plane being driven into people by dropping it on some other people.

Entirely reasonable. This allows them to decide where the plane goes down - ie, where casualties will be lowest. It also assumes that any terrorist attack will be aimed at a more sensitive target than simply, say, a street of houses in Blackheath.
Reply 51
We are already at war, so were just preparing for the worst
Seriously? For educated people a lot of the people on this thread are guilty of such stereotypes!
I totally understand the reputation that these fundamentalists have plastered all over muslims in today's society; but is that honestly fair to blame an everyday Muslim for?
Has it ever occurred to you that these people who commit such inhumane attacks are aware of the bad name they are going to give Muslims? If anything is there ANYBODY more against Muslims than these 'muslim' terrorists themselves?!
So for the love of all that is good please fight the urge to always mention Muslims and terrorists together!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 53
Original post by L i b
Entirely reasonable. This allows them to decide where the plane goes down - ie, where casualties will be lowest. It also assumes that any terrorist attack will be aimed at a more sensitive target than simply, say, a street of houses in Blackheath.

Tbh, I'd rather it hit the tourists than some innocent person in Blackheath. :tongue:

Got a copy of the report?
Can we please stop referring to Muslim terrorists as 'Muslims'. They are Islamist Extremists, a tiny percentage of Muslims who act outside the boundaries of organised Islam. We don't talk about the 'threat from Christian terrorism and extremist Christians', the 'Troubles from the Northern Ireland Christians', or 'the Christian bombings during the 80s'. It was Dissident Republicans, the IRA, who happen to be Catholic. The fact that they are Christian is totally irrelevant to their politics.

The same goes for Islamists: They could be Zoroastrians and their ideology would be exactly the same: Western civilisation is evil and must be destroyed, all Middle Easterners must take up the holy war.
(edited 11 years ago)
Got a copy of the report?

There is no one report on the subject, its just the impression have gotten from looking at various different sources. I dont have time to look them all up again, if you really care about it then google is your friend.

Besides it wasnt my intention to spark a debate on which group produces the most terrorists, i was merely trying to point out that the notion that "all terrorists are Muslim" is completely ridiculous.
Reply 57

Original post by Perseveranze

He's right, though. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.
Except, 99.3% terrorists are Non-Muslim.

Today, I’d like to update our readers with new Europol data: the data for 2009 and 2010 is now available.

Once again, a minuscule percentage of terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by Muslims. In 2009 and 2010, there were a grand total of 543 terrorist attacks, of which only 4 were committed by Muslims. This means that only 0.7% of terrorist attacks–again, less than 1%–were committed by Muslims.

Meanwhile, in that same time frame, separatist groups in Europe committed 397 terrorist attacks, or 73% of terrorist attacks overall. In other words, separatist groups committed 99.2 times (almost 100 times) more terrorist attacks than Muslims.

Another 85 attacks were committed by left-wing groups, accounting for about 16% of terrorist attacks overall.

Here is the data for 2009:

And for 2010:

In the 2010 report, the annex contains a summary of the results from the previous and current years:

(Due to size constraints, the table is a bit difficult to read here; you can see the actual report here.)

This “mega-table” shows that from 2007 to 2009, out of 1,317 terrorist attacks only 3 of them were committed by Muslims. From a percentage standpoint, that means only about 0.2% of terrorist attacks in Europe were committed by Muslims in those years–again, far less than 1%.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/11/updated-europol-data-less-than-1-of-terrorist-attacks-by-muslims/

You must be a Muslim, considering you defend them so vehemently.

What a great retort to facts and figures you've got there. In no way does it look like you're butthurt in the first degree!
/sarcasm
There is no one report on the subject, its just the impression have gotten from looking at various different sources. I dont have time to look them all up again, if you really care about it then google is your friend.

Besides it wasnt my intention to spark a debate on which group produces the most terrorists, i was merely trying to point out that the notion that "all terrorists are Muslim" is completely ridiculous.

So you don't actually have any sources at all? :biggrin:

Original post by Piprod01
What a great retort to facts and figures you've got there. In no way does it look like you're butthurt in the first degree!
/sarcasm

It doesn't specify what sort of attacks they were, though. They certainly weren't highly publicised. When I say terrorist attacks, I refer to considerable news stories, e.g. 9/11, 7/7, and other attacks, not spraying graffiti on a wall.

BTW, please don't use the word 'butthurt'; it really is a ****-ish Yank phrase.
Original post by Bronze Thistle
The UK is not preparing for war, it is protecting itself from Muslims

The Cabinet Office know a lot more about terrorism and risks to Britain than you do. Do not make yourself look stupid by trying to deny it. They reckon that any terrorist attack is just as likely to be instigated by the Irish or by animal rights activists as by Muslims. You need to grow up, understand how bigotted you are and do something about it.

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/default/files/resources/CO_NationalRiskRegister_2012_acc.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending