Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My website-help/advice/opinion

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have been working on a website as a summer project/ICT coursework and decided to take the opportunity to start my own small online business, my aim when building the site is to make it look professional and trustworthy, I have everything linked and done already except for the search box which I m stuck on, I want it to search only for images on the site and display the results within a template like the one on the website within the tables, so I would appreciate any advice on how to do it, any opinion on the site, report if broken links and misspellings.

Here's the link http://dcorz.co.cc/index.html

PS. I m not very experienced with coding, this is my first website and I'm using Dreamweaver and fireworks CS6 to build it.

Thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sadly it doesn't look too professional but it's not all doom and gloom!

I like it though. The whole background when you come on caught my eye etc. However maybe think of cutting it down (http://phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mobile/ the way that has the deal bar near the top). Also, having all the buttons on the left isn't creating a great vibe. Maybe having a top bar or lining them up on the left. At the moment they're randomly floating about. And the style of button (drop shadow and circular) isn't very 'in' at the moment.

One other very important thing, for me anyway... Learn to code with DIV tags (and I best not see any AP DIVS anywhere!). Don't import with from Fireworks either. Build it piece by piece. Using DIVs makes it more versatile (for example, you can make it fill 100% rather than setting pixels).

I don't mean to be a killjoy, so I apologise. I just want you to do the best you can with it Try a "container" background. Basically a light grey background which envelopes everything. For example, the white on Tesco Mobile website.

I'll try keep replying to this if you need/want it, but if not feel free to message me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radarr)
    Hey, sadly it doesn't look too professional but it's not all doom and gloom!

I like it though. The whole background when you come on caught my eye etc. However maybe think of cutting it down (http://phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mobile/ the way that has the deal bar near the top). Also, having all the buttons on the left isn't creating a great vibe. Maybe having a top bar or lining them up on the left. At the moment they're randomly floating about. And the style of button (drop shadow and circular) isn't very 'in' at the moment.

One other very important thing, for me anyway... Learn to code with DIV tags (and I best not see any AP DIVS anywhere!). Don't import with from Fireworks either. Build it piece by piece. Using DIVs makes it more versatile (for example, you can make it fill 100% rather than setting pixels).

I don't mean to be a killjoy, so I apologise. I just want you to do the best you can with it Try a "container" background. Basically a light grey background which envelopes everything. For example, the white on Tesco Mobile website.

I'll try keep replying to this if you need/want it, but if not feel free to message me.
    Thx i appreciate the reply, i don't mind any criticism, since I want to make it the best it can be also, I ll have a look at some div tutorials and improve it, do you have any advice on what i should use for the search box for it to work?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    One thing I'd really recommend is not to rely too heavily on images. Your menu on the left would be much better if it were styled text in rounded boxes. The main image on your homepage is really big (2MB!) and slimming it down would be a kindness on your users (I'd recommend extracting the text as actual text and saving the image as a jpg instead).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    One thing I'd really recommend is not to rely too heavily on images. Your menu on the left would be much better if it were styled text in rounded boxes. The main image on your homepage is really big (2MB!) and slimming it down would be a kindness on your users (I'd recommend extracting the text as actual text and saving the image as a jpg instead).
    Yh, the only reason i had the text with the image is because i m a beginner with Dreamweaver and couldn't find out how to edit the text on there, but I ll have a look to do it as u suggested, cheers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good lord. Not even a page title. The search bar is an image. A visitor counter.

However, the product-display side of things and Paypal integration appears to work fine, so that's some kudos there.

"A" for effort, but this doesn't look professional. Or trustworthy. (In my personal opinion)

I recommend you look into a CMS. It's so much easier and better looking to set up a website using something like Magento or Wordpress. Not much coding involved.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not bad, but if I want to buy something online, I want to know your safe? So, what about some badges, like, what payment types do you accept? How do I know that I am safe to buy with you?

Definately need a page title, I suggest something like first keyword | second keyword | third keyword | site name .

Also, you may want to try and get into the practice of writing your css in a seperate file. and reference it with

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="url of stylesheet" /> between the two <head></head>'s.

This can help to speed up load time and is good practice, also makes it less cluttered.

I would suggest trying to either make it fill the whole page, or add something in the footer/sidebar as it feels too static, perhaps something dynamic like a twitter feed, and some badges as I said before, like "pay with paypal".
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    You also have no text one your homepage aside from some navigation. That wouldn't do any good for SEO purposes which would be vital to your business.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 15, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.