The Student Room Group

University of Bristol's reputation in the UK and amongst employers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poprocks1
Well... it's quite likely I'll see you there then :smile: What do you study?

So you made your decision then? Good for you :smile:

Cellular and molecular medicine.

Do post grads stay in halls or private accommodation?
And do they get to go to freshers?
Reply 21
Original post by Naomiimoan
So you made your decision then? Good for you :smile:

Cellular and molecular medicine.

Do post grads stay in halls or private accommodation?
And do they get to go to freshers?

Ahh -- fellow scientist!!

And yeah, as long as everything falls into place... then yes absolutely going to Bristol!

There are residence halls for graduate students, but since I'll be moving with a boyfriend and a dog, I'll probably have to look for an apartment off-campus (not sure how you say this in the UK)... have you been to bristol before.. what are the areas to look in? Also, do you think my boyfriend will be able to find a job there? Are you moving into a residence hall??
Ahh -- fellow scientist!!

And yeah, as long as everything falls into place... then yes absolutely going to Bristol!

There are residence halls for graduate students, but since I'll be moving with a boyfriend and a dog, I'll probably have to look for an apartment off-campus (not sure how you say this in the UK)... have you been to bristol before.. what are the areas to look in? Also, do you think my boyfriend will be able to find a job there? Are you moving into a residence hall??

Snap! :biggrin:

I visited in May and talked to a few students and visited the halls on my list. There are rental houses riiiiight next to the university so you should look into some of those. I think the area the uni is in is Clifton (but I don't remember. I'm sleepy lol)

I've applied for two so hopefully I'll get a hall.

Do you mean job as in, in Starbucks or job as in, with a real role in an office/lab?
Reply 23
Original post by Naomiimoan
Snap! :biggrin:

I visited in May and talked to a few students and visited the halls on my list. There are rental houses riiiiight next to the university so you should look into some of those. I think the area the uni is in is Clifton (but I don't remember. I'm sleepy lol)

I've applied for two so hopefully I'll get a hall.

Do you mean job as in, in Starbucks or job as in, with a real role in an office/lab?

Haha -- I mean a real job... he Has a degree in marketing, and has been a marketing manager for a big beverage company over here... I think he'd be open to a Starbucks-ish job at first, just to get a visa, but i think he'd like to find something that will ultimately enhance his CV.
Haha -- I mean a real job... he Has a degree in marketing, and has been a marketing manager for a big beverage company over here... I think he'd be open to a Starbucks-ish job at first, just to get a visa, but i think he'd like to find something that will ultimately enhance his CV.

I say sign up to reed.co.uk

I did and had many an interview for marketing/sales/have to wear a suit type jobs.

If that doesn't work, you can try calling job agencies
Reply 25
This is a great site! Thank you -- and job agencies -- do you mean recruitment firms?
This is a great site! Thank you -- and job agencies -- do you mean recruitment firms?

Yh
Reply 27
QS ranks bristol in the worlds top 15 universities for reputation from Employers !!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 28
Original post by jfranks
urban. cos of banksy and the vast ethnic diversity and cos its a city
historic. cos of posh buildings in clifton like the suspension bridge
a bit posh in places. again cos of rich places like clifton and the fact bristol is in the south west region, which is the posh region
fun. cos of festivals like harbourside and the hot air balloon thing
academic. cos of the big schools and the university
media. cos of bbc offices there and cos shows like skins are filmed there

also employers dont care about location!

what the hell?

I've lived all over the south west and I really don't know what to say to that. The counties bordering London are the posh ones (sussex/surrey/parts of essex/anything ending in 'shire') if I recall correctly
Reply 29
ok ok! oh my word! why r people being so harsh cos i gave my opinion on bristol and tried to be a bit helpful to the OP in making their choice?
and sorry tht i made a few mistakes in what i said, my bad, but honestly stop fussing over it. im sorry ok? i'll never try to be helpful again then. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending