The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flywithemma
ME TOO :eek:

and I got 71 on the paper that I thought I'd be lucky to scrape a 2:1 on...eek swishy gown next year <3

Congrats!!!! Yay swishy gown :biggrin:
Haha it is so hard to tell how things went. I always tell myself there's no point in trying to estimate how well I did because most of the time I'm wrong but I can't help it. Case in point - on one paper I thought I got a low 2.i when I actually got 83??! I'm still hoping it's not an administrative error!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8761
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Your smilies:

:awesome: :woo: :banana: :danceboy: :biggrin: :party: :awesome:

May I have some smilies please, TLG? :love:

I got a First in Finals and am going to Cambridge! :biggrin:

Also just got married... is there a bride smiley? :tongue:

THAT'S JAWESOME!

Congratulations. :lol: To all of you in general actually, here is a shark.
What is everyone actually talking about..?
What are these swishy gowns people are talking about? :')

Reply 8765
Original post by MattRay94

If you get a first in prelims, or if you're a choral scholar, you get to wear a scholar's gown, which is bigger and swishier and therefore infinitely better than a commoner's gown. Given your course and college, the chance that you'll get one is somewhere close to 100%.

Original post by Theafricanlegend
What is everyone actually talking about..?

:goaway:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MattRay94

Well all undergraduates in first year wear a commoner's gown and then if you do well in first year you get a fancier 'scholar's gown'.

http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/acatalog/Oxford_University_Student_Gowns.html
Original post by HoVis

Of course! :colone:

:woo: :awesome: :danceboy: :yay: :congrats: :party: :ymca: :macarena: :dance: :yeah: :cool: :crazy: :jumphug: :woo:

Congratulations on both counts! A huge achievement with regard to your grades. Wishing you a long, healthy, happy and prosperous marriage :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:jumphug:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well done you! :awesome: :woo: :danceboy: :congrats: :yay: :party: :rave: :yeah: :cool: :awesome:

75 in labs is insane! :eek: Very impressed :holmes:

Original post by cpchem
Wow... assessed labs. That would have terrified me. The most terrifying thing we ever imagined was having to sign off a PTCL lab with Logan or Manolopoulos.

Good part II lined up?

Original post by Salliana23
Well done!!!! Especially with the first in assessed labs, that's so good! :biggrin: what are you doing for Part II?

Thank you all! :biggrin: I think knowing the labs were assessed was partially what made the long hours bearable for me, especially as someone who was always last to leave the labs, often half an hour after they were supposed to close. :redface: Ah well, it seems it was worth it. I'd finished labs by half way through Michaelmas due to doing a supplementary + summer project combination. I'm so glad I did: they introduced a system in the Organic teaching labs not long after which meant that every single photocopy of a spectrum has to be signed by a demonstrator, because they got wise to the fact that some people were obtaining spectra from other people and getting signed off for experiments they hadn't done. I never did this, but labs took me long enough without that potential added fuss...

Anyway, I'm in the Hamilton group next year. :smile: Professor Hamilton doesn't have time to run the group, being the Vice-Chancellor and all, so it's actually run by a Junior Research Fellow who was my Organic tutor in 2nd year. Really looking forward to next year! :biggrin:
Any historians here?
Original post by SebCross
Any historians here?

Me, but if you have a question could you post on another thread or open up a new one? I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it :smile:
Original post by HoVis

You got a First? Great News! :clap2: Just married too? That's lovely, many congratulations! :happy2: You're going to Cambridge? Oh. :indiff:

:tongue:
Original post by SebCross
Any historians here?

me, although having only just finished first year i might not be much use.

also have found out something sad on the swishy gown front: as part of Keble's reevaluation of rewards for exams, distinction in prelims doesn't automatically guarantee me a scholarship, and therefore a scholar's gown/money/other stuff. it's totally up to my tutors, and apparently takes into consideration your performance throughout the year. this may be problematic, as whilst i was pretty decent in my work throughout the year/went to all my tutes/didn't hand in essays late/never walked out of collections or anything, I was doing distinctly averagely (read: mid/low 60s). also my performance in prelims, whilst being a distinction overall, was actually only 68.5 average, with 2 papers being 65 and 66...so I guess I'll just have to wait and see and hope :colondollar: :redface: :frown:

also have found out something sad on the swishy gown front: as part of Keble's reevaluation of rewards for exams, distinction in prelims doesn't automatically guarantee me a scholarship, and therefore a scholar's gown/money/other stuff. it's totally up to my tutors, and apparently takes into consideration your performance throughout the year. this may be problematic, as whilst i was pretty decent in my work throughout the year/went to all my tutes/didn't hand in essays late/never walked out of collections or anything, I was doing distinctly averagely (read: mid/low 60s). also my performance in prelims, whilst being a distinction overall, was actually only 68.5 average, with 2 papers being 65 and 66...so I guess I'll just have to wait and see and hope :colondollar: :redface: :frown:

Fingers crossed for you :yep: I think you deserve a swishy gown :yep: :biggrin: :yep:

Ah, finger's crossed you get that swishy gown! The stipulations and differences in terminology between colleges are a bit weird. At Trinity a scholarship is only awarded in final year after Michaelmas collections and gets you more money than Exhibitions (which are awarded after Prelims/Mods). Both allow the use of a scholar's gown.
I think at some other colleges scholarships can be awarded after Prelims to people who maintained a distinction standard throughout the year, while an exhibition refers to those who maintained a close to distinction standard....

So depending on your college you might get an exhibition but not a scholarship? (Which is the standard thing at Trinity regardless of how high the distinction was in Prelims)

How recent was this re-evaluation at Keble? My college mum who has all her tutes at Keble complained that she got a 68 average in German last year and she didn't get any recognition from Trinity, while her friend at Keble got significantly lower and was awarded something or other...
(edited 11 years ago)
...as part of Keble's reevaluation of rewards for exams, distinction in prelims doesn't automatically guarantee me a scholarship, and therefore a scholar's gown/money/other stuff. it's totally up to my tutors, and apparently takes into consideration your performance throughout the year. this may be problematic...i was pretty decent in my work throughout the year/went to all my tutes/didn't hand in essays late/never walked out of collections or anything...

..and went to all your lectures too :unsure: :tongue:

Doesn't Scholarship near miss = Exhibition = same swishy gown at Keble?

:crossedf:
Reply 8776

That sounds mean, if Merton did that I would definitely not be getting a gown for next year. As far as I know Merton gives exhibitions to people getting any first in mods/prelims, and can choose to upgrade them to postmasterships (scholarships) based on further good work, though I'm not sure what the criteria for that are.
So how many of you actually go to Oxford, or are you all just SCRAPES? :colone:

I won't worry about having just ended your first year. That's great as far as I'm concerned because I start this October. I'm technically not even a real Oxford student, for those snobs out there that worry about that sort of thing. At least, I'm not associated with a college as such as the course I'm starting is run by the Department for Continuing Education (associated with Kellogg College, the graduate college on Banbury Road). Despite not being on a full-time undergrad' course, I'm still entitled to attend all of the Faculty of History lectures which certainly sounds good, particularly seeing as this year's poor buggers are paying £9,000 for the privilege and my own fees, for the Foundation Certificate in History course, come in at less. I'm very much looking forward to it, though, and hopefully if I can get some strong results I'll be eligible to apply for an undergrad' college for entry into Year 2 of the History programme. That's the game-plan, at least.

@flywithemma: How did you find your first year, then? The course I'm taking is effectively the first-year undergraduate course spread out into two years (it's part-time) and with a few differences. Did you find your first year illuminating, overall, or was it case of trying to 'find your feet' for the first couple of terms?

Best of luck regarding your 'swishy gown' situation. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm assuming this status is basically a reward for strong exam performance?

Latest