Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sky TV advice

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have sky hd in my house. my previous sky+ box is still working. one room as sky hd in and the other only has the freeview thta comes with the t.v
    is there anyway that i can wire up my other t.v to include the sky + box
    i am not on about multirrom. i mean where i can just use teh sky box for free viewig- like skys freeview.
    which extra wires will i require from my satelite and can i do them my self
    thanks alot.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Braniac101)
    i have sky hd in my house. my previous sky+ box is still working. one room as sky hd in and the other only has the freeview thta comes with the t.v
    i am not on about multirrom. i mean where i can just use teh sky box for free viewig- like skys freeview.
    thanks alot.
    It is possible to have two TVs connected to the same box, from what I can tell it's just a case of using simple splitter cables for the video-out on the box. However it will only mirror whatever the box is showing, if you want to watch two things on the two TVs independently of each other you do need multi room.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It is possible to have two TVs connected to the same box, from what I can tell it's just a case of using simple splitter cables for the video-out on the box. However it will only mirror whatever the box is showing, if you want to watch two things on the two TVs independently of each other you do need multi room.
    thanks. what my cousing has is his sky hd box which he pays for downstairs.
    in his room upstairs, he has his old sky box connected to the dish with a sky card
    however, he does not pay a penny for this. he only receives all of the free channels like bbc, itv and radio channels. gold
    all the crap ones. i was just wanderign how i can also connect a similar wire from my dish outside to my room so i can run this "freeview sky box"
    thanks alot,
    which cable do i need and how simple to connect to the same dish as other sky cabe.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot.
    You'd need a cable that runs from the low noise box (LNB), found at the tip of the arm on the dish to your Sky box. Most dishes have two LNB outputs by standard, one for viewing and one for recording. If you want more than these two you'll either need to:

A) Create a splitter cable for the LNB to box cables
    B) Install a new dish and wire that in yourself

Once you've done this, you can buy a freeview card from Sky for as fairly nominal fee.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can have the sky+ box in the other room, you just need to get a free view card to put in that box. I think they're about £25 but if you ring up then they can send one out to you and explain how to set it up
    And like Gofre said you can use a splitter cable (we have a splitter box in our house so it goes to all the TVs) but it will be the same thing on every TV.
    You could also get a magic eye (pretty sure you can't get them from sky anymore) which means you can control the main box from the other room without having to have the other box, but that will have the same picture in both rooms, but you can change it from either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks. what my cousing has is his sky hd box which he pays for downstairs.
    in his room upstairs, he has his old sky box connected to the dish with a sky card
    however, he does not pay a penny for this. he only receives all of the free channels like bbc, itv and radio channels. gold
    all the crap ones. i was just wanderign how i can also connect a similar wire from my dish outside to my room so i can run this "freeview sky box"
    thanks alot,
    which cable do i need and how simple to connect to the same dish as other sky cabe.
    thanks, that is what im looking for. i think sky hd has 2 cables. so will i need to switch that bit stick out into 4 slots. then 2 for hd box, and 2 cables for sky +
    thanks.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You'd need a cable that runs from the low noise box (LNB), found at the tip of the arm on the dish to your Sky box. Most dishes have two LNB outputs by standard, one for viewing and one for recording. If you want more than these two you'll either need to:

A) Create a splitter cable for the LNB to box cables
    B) Install a new dish and wire that in yourself

Once you've done this, you can buy a freeview card from Sky for as fairly nominal fee.
    Pretty much this. However I'm not sure you can safely split the coax from the LNB to two different sky boxes as the sky boxes provide power to the LNB over the coax so just splitting the cable means you'll have two boxes trying to provide power and the boxes will also be sending power to each other which might do nasty things to them. There's also problems with just splitting coax which might mean you do nasty things to the signal.

I think you can get LNB's with 1, 2, or 4 outputs. If there aren't spare outputs on the current LNB you might need to replace it with one with more outputs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot.
    You will need the LNB with 2 free outputs to connect the box to. Once you have done that, you have three options:

1. Use the box without a viewing card, allowing you to view unencrypted FTA channels. These include BBC channels, ITV channels and shopping channels. However, you will need a valid viewing card to view encrypted channels (channel 5 is encrypted, it is free to view but not free to air), so if you want to view more channels, you will need to use one of the other two options. You can not use SKY+ features without a viewing card.

2. Pay sky a one off fee of £25 for a freesatfromsky viewing card. This will allow you to view encrypted free-to-view channels as well as free-to-air ones. According to the sky website, there are around 240 channels you can watch with a freesatfromsky card. However, you can't use SKY+ features with freesatfromsky. Therefore, you won't be able to record TV, or pause/rewind live TV.

3. Pay about £10 a month for a multiroom subscription. I'd say this is the best option as it allows you to view all of the channels that you subscribe to (e.g. if you have sky movies/sports, you can view this on your other box as well). This is the only option that allows you to use sky+ features as well. However, at £120 a year this is considerably more expensive than the other two options.

Also worth noting is that if your LNB only has two outputs, you will need a replacement LNB with at least 4 outputs (SKY+ and SKY+HD both use 2 outputs each, so they can tune to 2 different channels at the same time). You will also need cables for the dish, and to drill holes to put the cables through.

If you want to be able to use your box for recording, you will need a multiroom subscription. If you feel that this is too expensive, you may be better off getting a Freeview or Freesat PVR, although you probably won't get as many channels with these.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewFolder)
    You will need the LNB with 2 free outputs to connect the box to. Once you have done that, you have three options:

1. Use the box without a viewing card, allowing you to view unencrypted FTA channels. These include BBC channels, ITV channels and shopping channels. However, you will need a valid viewing card to view encrypted channels (channel 5 is encrypted, it is free to view but not free to air), so if you want to view more channels, you will need to use one of the other two options. You can not use SKY+ features without a viewing card.

2. Pay sky a one off fee of £25 for a freesatfromsky viewing card. This will allow you to view encrypted free-to-view channels as well as free-to-air ones. According to the sky website, there are around 240 channels you can watch with a freesatfromsky card. However, you can't use SKY+ features with freesatfromsky. Therefore, you won't be able to record TV, or pause/rewind live TV.

3. Pay about £10 a month for a multiroom subscription. I'd say this is the best option as it allows you to view all of the channels that you subscribe to (e.g. if you have sky movies/sports, you can view this on your other box as well). This is the only option that allows you to use sky+ features as well. However, at £120 a year this is considerably more expensive than the other two options.

Also worth noting is that if your LNB only has two outputs, you will need a replacement LNB with at least 4 outputs (SKY+ and SKY+HD both use 2 outputs each, so they can tune to 2 different channels at the same time). You will also need cables for the dish, and to drill holes to put the cables through.

If you want to be able to use your box for recording, you will need a multiroom subscription. If you feel that this is too expensive, you may be better off getting a Freeview or Freesat PVR, although you probably won't get as many channels with these.
    thanks dude, alot of help. i am only going to be using this for freeview, so is it pointless buying sky+ box
    i might just go for a standard sky box. which is the best sky standard ox. i have an lnb with four outputs, 2 go too sky hd, 2 are free. are these enough fr sky standard box
    thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks dude, alot of help. i am only going to be using this for freeview, so is it pointless buying sky+ box
    i might just go for a standard sky box. which is the best sky standard ox. i have an lnb with four outputs, 2 go too sky hd, 2 are free. are these enough fr sky standard box
    thanks
    Standard sky boxes that don't record only require one input, so you'll be fine with your LNB.

You can get standard sky digiboxes from eBay, quite cheap. As long as the box is listed as working, any of them will do, don't worry about brands, they're basically all the same. Once you have one, you'll need a freesatfromsky card from sky, they are £25. Don't get the viewing card from anyone else (e.g. don't get a box with a viewing card included). Once you've got the box and the card, just connect it all up, put the viewing card in and it should work (not sure if you need to connect to a phone line to activate the card, if so, just connect the box to a TV that is close to a phone socket, and just connect it temporarily to the phone line for activation, you can disconnect it from the phone line permanently once this is done).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Standard sky boxes that don't record only require one input, so you'll be fine with your LNB.

You can get standard sky digiboxes from eBay, quite cheap. As long as the box is listed as working, any of them will do, don't worry about brands, they're basically all the same. Once you have one, you'll need a freesatfromsky card from sky, they are £25. Don't get the viewing card from anyone else (e.g. don't get a box with a viewing card included). Once you've got the box and the card, just connect it all up, put the viewing card in and it should work (not sure if you need to connect to a phone line to activate the card, if so, just connect the box to a TV that is close to a phone socket, and just connect it temporarily to the phone line for activation, you can disconnect it from the phone line permanently once this is done).
    thanks again. which cable will i need then from lnb to a sky box. obviously a single, but will any single sky coaxial cable do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks again. which cable will i need then from lnb to a sky box. obviously a single, but will any single sky coaxial cable do?
    Yes, any satellite cable will do. Thinner cable is easier to install, but thicker cable is less susceptible to interference. You will also need some connectors, such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-cost-f-p...in-pack-512995
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Yes, any satellite cable will do. Thinner cable is easier to install, but thicker cable is less susceptible to interference. You will also need some connectors, such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-cost-f-p...in-pack-512995
    As above any cable for satellite should work. If you want to compare cables one thing to look for is the loss value (although make sure you compare for the same frequency and the same length). The lower the loss the better.

If it's likely to get a lot of sunlight exposure you might want to consider a cable with uv protection.

Again as above you'll want some F connectors, you'll probably want the screw on ones and you might need to check you have the right size for your cable.

The last thing that might be worth getting is amalgamation tape. This is tape you wrap tightly around the connector and cable where it joins the lnb and it makes it all water proof. It's a bit like electrical tape (but not as sticky) however it joins with itself to make a better seal that lasts.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.