The Student Room Group

Head Girl Interview

Hi,
I have been selected through pupil and teacher voting to interview for head girl. I have reached the final 6 from 90 students and really want this. I handed in my written application today but we have an interview next week with our head teacher, deputy head, assistant head, governors and head of year. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips about what sort of questions they will ask and what sort of things I could say.

Thank you :smile:
xx
Reply 1
Original post by EllieMegan1997
wow- thanks for the great advice.

aha

do a search, this question is asked plenty of times.

some tips. Be honest. Be yourself. Be humble - they won't like arrogance. Apart from that, take some time to think before you answer, speak slowly rather than quickly, make eye contact, smile, shake hands before and after the interview.

And try to talk about yourself. In school interview things, they often like to ask silly things like 'what would you say in your first speech?' or 'what do you like about your school', which aren't terrible questions, but they don't give any reflection of you as a person. They force you to blag, and you'll end up saying cheese. Be wise and relate as many questions as you can to your experiences, your personality.

'why would you make a good senior prefect?'
'well I have spent lots of time developing my skills in communication...
my role in.... has taught me.... and...'

talk about your interests and what you have done, avoid cheese and the Apprentice-style blagging.
thank you SO much (:
I would echo what Pride has said :smile: Try to prepare for loads of obvious questions, I was asked "What positions of responsibility have you had around school?", "If a younger student came and told you something really serious, but asked that you not tell anybody else, what would you do?", "What would you like to change about the school?" and plain ol' "How would you describe yourself?", among others.

Try to set yourself apart from other applicants, what have you done that they haven't?

Don't be arrogant, but try not to be too modest either. Try to say things that you can easily back up and prove; "I am reliable" is okay, "I am reliable and responsible, shown by the fact that I have a perfect homework record" is better. When I was asked to describe myself, I said that I wasn't very confident, but that I was working on becoming better, which made me look honest, without me having to explicitly say "I am honest" XD

Try to appear at ease, even if you're feeling really nervous. Sit up straight and make eye contact with your interviewers. If you have long hair, it may help to tie it up, as then you won't be tempted to fiddle with it (I should have done this, haha :tongue: ) It also makes you look a little bit neater. It goes without saying that your uniform should be perfect too :smile:

Best of luck! :smile: Let us know how you get on. Super well done on getting this far, lets hope you can go all the way :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
will do, thank you (:
Reply 5
Good luck!! No idea myself (I'm in Y10, we don't do it until Sixth Form), but I'm wondering...I didn't have a good lateness record until this year, but academically, I'm okay, which doesn't mean a lot, I guess. I haven't done a lot of extra-curriculars for the school but I do clubs and volutneering etc. outside. Do you think I stand a chance at all? I really want to be Head Girl (or at least Deputy), because - cheesy alert - I really want to make my school better. Genuinely.
Original post by nombo
Good luck!! No idea myself (I'm in Y10, we don't do it until Sixth Form), but I'm wondering...I didn't have a good lateness record until this year, but academically, I'm okay, which doesn't mean a lot, I guess. I haven't done a lot of extra-curriculars for the school but I do clubs and volutneering etc. outside. Do you think I stand a chance at all? I really want to be Head Girl (or at least Deputy), because - cheesy alert - I really want to make my school better. Genuinely.

Last year by attendance was absolutely atrocious :s-smilie:. I improved a lot this year (only missed one day due to an appointment that could not be rescheduled), and I got made deputy head girl, so I don't think it matters too much. :smile: I think that if you can prove that you're not going to let your punctuality slip again, then you're in a good position. :smile: You sound like you'd genuinely be a great person for the job. :yep:
common questions:

What will you contribute to the school

Obv..why do you want to be head girl

you could potentially get questions about the responsibilities..e.g. what are the responsibilities of a head girl

...maybe also some 'situation type questions' ..e.g. you see a pupil breaking the rules...what do you do ..I've never had an interview for headgirl as I never wanted to do it ..but those are the questions that come to mind. Good luck! ...ohh also maybe speak to previous head girls/boys from your school at ask them about the role/duty and what their interviews were like
Reply 8
Little Tail Chaser, thank you so much! I still have a year to work on it, so I hope I'll be good by then! I was just worried because lots of girls in my Year are so amazing (Wimbledon ballgirls, athletic champion UK, etc.) and I've done nothing for the school , but you've calmed me down...I still have next year to join clubs and stuff as well! Thank you!!!
they are bound to ask you what can you offer the school and what do you think the role of the head girl is :smile:
good luck!
Reply 10
Make sure you talk about yourself loads, but if your school has like a senior prefect team, Assistant Head Girl, Deputy Head Girl etc, make sure you say something like

'Collectively, I feel I can lead the senior team in establishing real effect around the school. Its the team that collaboratively works together in really making a difference, not one person alone.' and then say how you have the skills to manage the team.

Hope this helps, good luck xxx
Interviews tomorrow...wish me luck! xx
Interviews tomorrow...wish me luck! xx

Good luck! :biggrin:
had the interview this morning- extremely hard and dont think i stand a chance but hay ho (: find out tomorrow xx
good luck!
I GOT HEAD GIRL! ahh- thank you all so much for your help xxx

WOOOO!!! well done :smile: I bet you aced it with our amazing advice :wink:

seriously, if you are taking it seriously im sure you will do a great job and your school will have a great head girl :smile:

Congratulations! :biggrin: I knew you'd do well! Best of luck for your new role! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest