Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilacs
I just want to know if it includes everything

For the price, i would assume it contains the 5 you mentioned and a mattress protector.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1821
Original post by MadMike457
I would go for grizedale personally, they have hog roasts apparently. All of the colleges are sociable though, depending on who you hang out with, I've heard there is a mix of different people in different colleges, i.e. you'll find outgoing and shy ones everyone.

Cheers, i've whittled my choices down to - Grizedale/County Townhouse and/or Grizedale/County/Furness Superior Ensuite. So im slowly getting there :smile:

At least theres a while till the deadline, so theres no rush to make a hasty decision.
I really can't decide between catered or self-catering. Can anyone give me their opinions on either?
I was going to go for Bowland, so can anyone tell me what the kitchens there are like? Or if the supermarket on campus is any good?
Reply 1823
Original post by Mattgarman
I really can't decide between catered or self-catering. Can anyone give me their opinions on either?
I was going to go for Bowland, so can anyone tell me what the kitchens there are like? Or if the supermarket on campus is any good?

Go self-catered. Catered is a waste of money. Everyone I know who did catered thought so. It also doesn't teach you how to cook! But the cost is the main factor.
Just a quick question. When can you move into accommodation? Is it possible to move in before the semester starts?
Original post by jordan.uni
Just a quick question. When can you move into accommodation? Is it possible to move in before the semester starts?

Usually not. But, if you contact your college accommodation/residence officer [once you know which college you are in] they might be able to sort something for you. That might end up being a guestroom thing for a couple of nights, or they might be able to let you move in early. They usually try their best to help if you ask. :smile:
Do all of the bedrooms have a radiator in?

If so, would you recommend buying a small drying rack that would hook onto the radiator so you can hang washing on it, and so save money by not using the tumble dryers?

(I've applied for accommodation in the townhouses so I'm particularly interested in finding out about the heating in these rooms)
Could a current student please tell me how long it takes from;

County Superior Ensuite to Lancaster Square?
Grizedale Superior Ensuite to Lancaster Square?
Original post by Erratic

I guess you mean Alexandra Square? It's about 3 mins from County and 5 mins from Grizedale.

Original post by rachaelizabeth
Do all of the bedrooms have a radiator in?

If so, would you recommend buying a small drying rack that would hook onto the radiator so you can hang washing on it, and so save money by not using the tumble dryers?

(I've applied for accommodation in the townhouses so I'm particularly interested in finding out about the heating in these rooms)

Dunno about the townhouses, but i'm pretty sure all rooms in every college have radiators.
You're probably better off using dryers in the laundrettes as it saves you time, unless you wash good shirts, dresses or jeans and what not, then a drying rack is helpful. I had mine and it was definitely useful.
Original post by Erratic

What do you mean by Lancaster Square? Do you mean Alex Square, where the library and learning zone are?

In which case, Grizedale to Alex Square takes approx 5 minutes. If you are trying to go up at around 10-to the hour during the work day, it might take a couple of minutes more, just because the spine will be busy. :smile:

County to Alex Square is, again, only around 5 minutes.

No where is far on campus. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
What do you mean by Lancaster Square? Do you mean Alex Square, where the library and learning zone are?

In which case, Grizedale to Alex Square takes approx 5 minutes. If you are trying to go up at around 10-to the hour during the work day, it might take a couple of minutes more, just because the spine will be busy. :smile:

County to Alex Square is, again, only around 5 minutes.

No where is far on campus. :smile:

Original post by RabbitCFH
I guess you mean Alexandra Square? It's about 3 mins from County and 5 mins from Grizedale.

Yeah, I meant Alexandra Square, sorry!

Thanks for the prompt responses. Rep'd you both :smile:
Reply 1831
Could anyone possibly tell me which halls would be best to apply for at Lancaster, if i'm going to study Accounting and Finance? I cannot seem to find out which one is closest to the management school, which i'm assuming is where the Accounting department resides?
Reply 1832
Original post by NessEB
Could anyone possibly tell me which halls would be best to apply for at Lancaster, if i'm going to study Accounting and Finance? I cannot seem to find out which one is closest to the management school, which i'm assuming is where the Accounting department resides?

grizedale college is right by the management school! i would choose there
Reply 1833
Original post by IJC
grizedale college is right by the management school! i would choose there

Thanks for your help :smile: which one would you say is "second closest" haha :tongue:
Original post by NessEB
Thanks for your help :smile: which one would you say is "second closest" haha :tongue:

Probably Pendle or old Fylde (George Fox).
Reply 1835
Out of all the upgraded standard accommodation on offer this year (bowland, furness, grizedale, pendle), which college offers the highest bathroom:student ratio? does anybody know how many are in each flat and would be sharing a kitchen? and does anybody have any insight into which college out of those is best? :P

also, is the extra £10 a week worth upgrading to a townhouse? i'm interested mostly in the social aspect to be honest, I'm sure I'll enjoy wherever I am once I've made friends :smile:
If you get the maximum maintenance grant, is there any discount on accommodation?

On the accommodation website, it says cartmel rooms are from 78 ponds per week but I can only find en suites in cartmel

Also, what is the difference between standard and upgraded standard?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1837
Original post by NuckingFut
If you get the maximum maintenance grant, is there any discount on accommodation?

No, not that I know of, but if your household income is less than £25000 I think you are entitled to a £5000 bursary from the university (over 3 years), so of course you could use this money towards the cost of accommodation.

Please anyone correct me, I might be wrong :smile:
Original post by NuckingFut

On the accommodation website, it says cartmel rooms are from 78 ponds per week but I can only find en suites in cartmel

Also, what is the difference between standard and upgraded standard?

Original post by Lamb.
No, not that I know of, but if your household income is less than £25000 I think you are entitled to a £5000 bursary from the university (over 3 years), so of course you could use this money towards the cost of accommodation.

Please anyone correct me, I might be wrong :smile:

You're right. £1,000 of the NSP is used towards accommodation.

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/

Lancaster Scholarship
£1,000 on-campus accommodation discount in the 1st year of study

P.S. Anyone know how many floors Grizedale superior ensuite and County superior ensuite have? Also, would it be possible if we can request to be on a certain floor?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hang on, you do get a bursary in your first year right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending