The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oz40
What kind of score do KCL GEP want?

For 2012 entry, the cutoff was 715.
Reply 701
Original post by select the right name
For 2012 entry, the cutoff was 715.

Wow. That's blimmin high.

Any idea at the cut off for the 5 year course?
Original post by oz40
Wow. That's blimmin high.

Any idea at the cut off for the 5 year course?

Sorry, got no idea. I only know this cos my friend wanted to apply to Kings GEP but just missed the cutoff. If you search this years Kings thread I'm sure you'll find out what the undergrad cutoff was.
Original post by allyjack110
@ AJ smiley.

I am in a similar situation myself. I am from Scotland as well and really have [had] my heart set on a career in medicine. I really wanted to apply for 2013 entry but decided against it simply because of the financial constraints it would place upon myself and parents. I had done my research and identified the universities that I wanted to apply to. They included Dundee, Keele, Kings and Warwick universities. However, the 3 English universities are out of the question simply because I cannot afford to pay £9000 per year for tuition fees. When you include other factors such as the cost of rent, books and living costs etc I am looking at potentially £50,000 + worth of debt; it’s money I simply do not have. It is even worse for American students studying for a medical degree (MD/DO). Many complete their studies with several hundred thousand dollars worth of debt. I already have approximately £16K worth of debt from my previous degree and am ineligible to take out another student loan as the SAAS will not fund a second degree. I am sure there are many other people out there in my situation. Not being an English resident either, I would not qualify for an NHS bursary if I did decide to apply to an English university. I even enquired into a commercial loan but was strongly advised against it because of the high interest rates. Even Dundee University seems financially undoable - at the moment - despite the cheaper tuition fees here in Scotland. I feel dejected about Dundee because it is a great medical school. I actually did my History degree there (MA 2:1) and so the university and city have a special place in my heart. They have a widening access course that I am eligible for but again, £1900 a year for six years - whilst a lot cheaper compared to rest of the UK - is still a lot of money. My parents would love to help me out but they cannot afford it; both are retired. Also, being 27 and currently unemployed I really do not think it is their responsibility or duty to pay me through another degree no matter how much I want to do it. Shame, I had booked my ukcat test for the 19th July in Glasgow 1 day before my 28th birthday but had to cancel it last month. That was a terrible day. However, if I ever came into enough money then I would certainly finance my way through med school without hesitation. I am thinking of saving-up for a few years before I apply to Dundee in the future. However, Dundee is a very small medical school and I wonder how wise and worthwhile it would be to apply to a single medical school. Oh well, at least I can say I was 'good enough' for medical school. I wish you (and anyone else in my situation) the very best and hope you manage to get the funding you require.

SAAS would not pay your fees for a second degree but you can still apply for the full living cost loan. Also, students studying medicine as a second degree can apply for fees, bursary and loan from year 5 onwards as long as your first degree does not qualify you with a profession. see http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/special_circumstances/med_dentistry.htm#degree_holders
Reply 704
Original post by allyjack110
@ AJ smiley.

I am in a similar situation myself. I am from Scotland as well and really have [had] my heart set on a career in medicine. I really wanted to apply for 2013 entry but decided against it simply because of the financial constraints it would place upon myself and parents. I had done my research and identified the universities that I wanted to apply to. They included Dundee, Keele, Kings and Warwick universities. However, the 3 English universities are out of the question simply because I cannot afford to pay £9000 per year for tuition fees. When you include other factors such as the cost of rent, books and living costs etc I am looking at potentially £50,000 + worth of debt; it’s money I simply do not have. It is even worse for American students studying for a medical degree (MD/DO). Many complete their studies with several hundred thousand dollars worth of debt. I already have approximately £16K worth of debt from my previous degree and am ineligible to take out another student loan as the SAAS will not fund a second degree. I am sure there are many other people out there in my situation. Not being an English resident either, I would not qualify for an NHS bursary if I did decide to apply to an English university. I even enquired into a commercial loan but was strongly advised against it because of the high interest rates. Even Dundee University seems financially undoable - at the moment - despite the cheaper tuition fees here in Scotland. I feel dejected about Dundee because it is a great medical school. I actually did my History degree there (MA 2:1) and so the university and city have a special place in my heart. They have a widening access course that I am eligible for but again, £1900 a year for six years - whilst a lot cheaper compared to rest of the UK - is still a lot of money. My parents would love to help me out but they cannot afford it; both are retired. Also, being 27 and currently unemployed I really do not think it is their responsibility or duty to pay me through another degree no matter how much I want to do it. Shame, I had booked my ukcat test for the 19th July in Glasgow 1 day before my 28th birthday but had to cancel it last month. That was a terrible day. However, if I ever came into enough money then I would certainly finance my way through med school without hesitation. I am thinking of saving-up for a few years before I apply to Dundee in the future. However, Dundee is a very small medical school and I wonder how wise and worthwhile it would be to apply to a single medical school. Oh well, at least I can say I was 'good enough' for medical school. I wish you (and anyone else in my situation) the very best and hope you manage to get the funding you require.

Re funding: £1,820 is easily affordable if you have a summer and part time job and you'd still get a maintenance loan from SAAS. Paying for medicine as a graduate in Scotland is not a huge issue (as long as you're willing to study for up to 6 years) and is certainly not a reason for not applying. Remember, if you apply and get an offer you aren't obliged to accept it and they may have allowed you to defer if money really was an issue. There is still time to apply, although perhaps you ought to try to take a year out working in a hospital or care home if you are so unsure.

I'm going to be graduating with an MA(Hons) in Philosophy and my plan is to apply to all of the Scottish medical schools bar Glasgow (i.e. Aberdeen, Dundee, St. Andrews, and Edinburgh). My suggestion is that if you do decide to apply that you do so to more than one school.
Reply 705
Hey, does anyone know if Imperial consider how good a 2.1 someone gets?

And also what's the usual UKCAT cut off point for them?
Reply 706
Original post by 419

Imperial uses the BMAT, not the UKCAT. :smile:
Reply 707
Original post by Vulpes
Imperial uses the BMAT, not the UKCAT. :smile:

:no:

not for graduate entry.
im really unclear on funding for grad medicine... im currently doing a bsc in biomedical sciences (if it makes a different?)

so my current understanding is this (correct me if wrong):

year one
you have to pay £3500ish of the tuition fee's up front
student loan covers the difference upto 9000 a year
means tested maintenance loan too

years two to four
NHS pay the £3500ish of tuition fee's
student loan cover's the difference upto 9k a year
means tested maintenance loan
nhs means tested bursary to live off

so is that correct or have i missed anything or added anything? also. anyone know how much roughly you get for means tested loans/bursarys?
Reply 709
Original post by 419
:no:

not for graduate entry.

Ah, my mistake :yep:
Original post by 419

I don't know the usual UKCAT cutoff but as far as I'm aware they don't look at how good a 2:1 someone gets, also those with a 1st have no advantage.
Original post by good morning
im really unclear on funding for grad medicine... im currently doing a bsc in biomedical sciences (if it makes a different?)

so my current understanding is this (correct me if wrong):

year one
you have to pay £3500ish of the tuition fee's up front
student loan covers the difference upto 9000 a year
means tested maintenance loan too

years two to four
NHS pay the £3500ish of tuition fee's
student loan cover's the difference upto 9k a year
means tested maintenance loan
nhs means tested bursary to live off

so is that correct or have i missed anything or added anything? also. anyone know how much roughly you get for means tested loans/bursarys?

The student loan in years 2-4 is reduced (due to the NHS bursary). Also iirc in addition to whatever you get for the NHS bursary you get a £1000 NHS scholarship (non-means tested)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok, so wouldn't mind some feedback..

I'm 29, and looking to apply for 2014, 2 GEP's, and possibly couple of 5yr courses to help play the odds more favourably. My academics are a bit meh and -taking the amount of competition into account - I'm starting to have doubts about the feasibility of being offered a place. I currently have a 2:1 LLB Law, 3 A-levels - ACC (non-science), and 7 GCSE's A-C (inc. English A, Maths B, but D in Science).

Tomorrow, I've a final interview with local college with a view to sitting Chemistry and Biology A-levels, possibly cramming those into one year. I'd also try and sit GCSE science as a private candidate during this time, and compile a portfolio of relevant volunteering.

Frankly -, am I completely barking to even entertain the idea of becoming a medical student based on those academics? Do I chase my dream, or am I merely inviting heartache further down the line?
Is there a list or does anyone know for the GEP courses that require you to have your degree awarded/graduated before you apply?

I know Leicester and Liverpool want you to have graduated, any others before I go emailing around?
Original post by arcl
Is there a list or does anyone know for the GEP courses that require you to have your degree awarded/graduated before you apply?

I know Leicester and Liverpool want you to have graduated, any others before I go emailing around?

Birmingham as well to add to that list
Original post by capricasix
Ok, so wouldn't mind some feedback..

I'm 29, and looking to apply for 2014, 2 GEP's, and possibly couple of 5yr courses to help play the odds more favourably. My academics are a bit meh and -taking the amount of competition into account - I'm starting to have doubts about the feasibility of being offered a place. I currently have a 2:1 LLB Law, 3 A-levels - ACC (non-science), and 7 GCSE's A-C (inc. English A, Maths B, but D in Science).

Tomorrow, I've a final interview with local college with a view to sitting Chemistry and Biology A-levels, possibly cramming those into one year. I'd also try and sit GCSE science as a private candidate during this time, and compile a portfolio of relevant volunteering.

Frankly -, am I completely barking to even entertain the idea of becoming a medical student based on those academics? Do I chase my dream, or am I merely inviting heartache further down the line?

You don't necessarily need to do A levels to apply for graduate entry. Newcastle, Warwick, Nottingham, Leicester, St Georges don't consider A levels. What's more important is getting relevant work/voluntary experience.

Also for the 5 year programmes you will need to self fund the £9000 tuition fees for the first 4 years.

Where were you thinking of applying?
Original post by select the right name
You don't necessarily need to do A levels to apply for graduate entry. Newcastle, Warwick, Nottingham, Leicester, St Georges don't consider A levels. What's more important is getting relevant work/voluntary experience.

Also for the 5 year programmes you will need to self fund the £9000 tuition fees for the first 4 years.

Where were you thinking of applying?

Hey, I was thinking of applying to GEP's at Warwick, St.George's and Nottingham, plus a standard 5 year course at Hull York? HY seems to be the only 5 year course which would account for my current GCSE profile, though does that still remain relevant for mature students? I'm aware that the universities you've mentioned don't require A-levels, though it would seem nearly impossible to pass the GAMSAT without the A-level knowledge base?

I'm also weighing the pros and cons of starting some A-levels this year, or an Access course next? A-levels would seem to give me more options and give me an opportunity to fully prepare for the GAMSAT/UKCAT.

Finally, I'm aware that GEP course tend to be considered a backroute for biomed degree students, what are the odds of being considered with a 2:1 law/humanitaries based degree? Thanks, I know that's quite a bit. :colondollar:
Reply 717
Original post by capricasix
Hey, I was thinking of applying to GEP's at Warwick, St.George's and Nottingham, plus a standard 5 year course at Hull York? HY seems to be the only 5 year course which would account for my current GCSE profile, though does that still remain relevant for mature students? I'm aware that the universities you've mentioned don't require A-levels, though it would seem nearly impossible to pass the GAMSAT without the A-level knowledge base?

I'm also weighing the pros and cons of starting some A-levels this year, or an Access course next? A-levels would seem to give me more options and give me an opportunity to fully prepare for the GAMSAT/UKCAT.

Finally, I'm aware that GEP course tend to be considered a backroute for biomed degree students, what are the odds of being considered with a 2:1 law/humanitaries based degree? Thanks, I know that's quite a bit. :colondollar:

For those places that accept both Sciences and Arts grads there should be no preference for either. Re GAMSAT, most people seem to self-teach with the aid of A-level revision guides and such (Griffiths GAMSAT guide can be bought online for little money and is very helpful for the whole thing, including telling you which bits of the three sciences to concentrate on). I'm presuming you'd be paying to sit the A-levels so it could be a waste of time and money if you're comfortable self-teaching - you have got a long time to prepare if you're going for 2014 entry after all. And re UKCAT, the A-levels won't help you at all there. Get the 600Q UKCAT book, it's excellent, and do some GCSE-level Maths practice. :smile:
Hi every one,

I'm a second year biomed student at KCL and just got my results for this year which were really disappointing (59% so a 2.2) I got 65% in my first year and I think my tutor would still be willing to predict me a 2.1, basically my question to any past applicants or people in the know is- do we have to include our module grades so far or can we just put our predicted classification? and if we do have to put our module grades do you think being predicted higher than what I've actually gained so far will work against me? will they believe I can get it?

Every thing else in my application is pretty strong and I really didn't expect to come up below par at the first hurdle. Not even sure there's much point in trying now :frown:
Reply 719
Original post by reee
I wanna do medicine(I wanted to do it before pharmacy tbh)... I got a 2:1! However, I am thinking of applying to non-ukcat unis, so I have 3 choices only (bham, Bristol and Liverpool), my GCSEs and A-levels weren't that great, but I am hoping that they consider my MPHARM degree.

However, I am not sure whether to apply for the 5 or 4 years course. Since I can apply for 4 unis, will I be able to apply to both 5 and 4 years to one of the unis mentioned above?

Has anyone else applied to non UKCAT unis ONLY?

Cheers

I'm doing exactly this as well because I doubt I can achieve a very good UKCAT score (I got something like 600-650 average at 18, not horrendous but hardly spectacular, and I think the chances of me raising my score by ~100 is minimal).

I've just graduated from Liverpool and that's my first choice, I desperately miss the city and would love to go back! Bham ask for a 1st class degree though. I'm applying to Liv, Bham and Bristol grad entry and then probably Liverpool 5yr but I'm very much hoping I'll get into a 4yr course as the financial difference is staggering for graduates, but I'm sure you know this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending