The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nlaji
Hi I found an article about Imperial's admissions process. I don't know if it is true.. it states:

"Let’s imagine that you and I are two Medical applicants applying to Imperial College, London. You have 10A*s at GCSE, predicted 4A*s at A-level, months of caring work experience. But unfortunately you slightly underperformed at BMAT, scoring just below Imperial’s cut-off score for in section 1 whilst doing well in the other two sections (eg 4.6, 6.5, 4A) . Now lets say I had 3A*s, 5As and a B at GCSE, predicted 4As at A-level and one week of caring work experience. I on the other hand get a relatively average BMAT score which just about satisfies Imperial’s cut-off scores in each section (eg 5.0, 5.0, 2.5C). As unfair as this sounds, you are almost guaranteed to be rejected without interview, whilst I am almost guaranteed to be called for interview. It’s obvious that you have worked a lot harder than I have and that you are more committed to the vocation, however the person who wins in this situation is simply the one who has been consistent in BMAT. When selecting candidates for interview, it’s not really about carefully considering each application to select the candidates with the most potential, It’s pretty much about finding an efficient way to cut numbers. "

Is that true?? I found it on this place called themess.info

There are so many applications that they really can't look at them all individually properly. They have to get rid of applications quickly somehow so they can basically use admissions tests, GCSEs or questionnaires. In Imperial's case, the admissions test wins.
Any IB offer holders who also got their place secured on the 6th? :biggrin:
Reply 3402
Original post by Nlaji
Hi I found an article about Imperial's admissions process. I don't know if it is true.. it states:

"Let’s imagine that you and I are two Medical applicants applying to Imperial College, London. You have 10A*s at GCSE, predicted 4A*s at A-level, months of caring work experience. But unfortunately you slightly underperformed at BMAT, scoring just below Imperial’s cut-off score for in section 1 whilst doing well in the other two sections (eg 4.6, 6.5, 4A) . Now lets say I had 3A*s, 5As and a B at GCSE, predicted 4As at A-level and one week of caring work experience. I on the other hand get a relatively average BMAT score which just about satisfies Imperial’s cut-off scores in each section (eg 5.0, 5.0, 2.5C). As unfair as this sounds, you are almost guaranteed to be rejected without interview, whilst I am almost guaranteed to be called for interview. It’s obvious that you have worked a lot harder than I have and that you are more committed to the vocation, however the person who wins in this situation is simply the one who has been consistent in BMAT. When selecting candidates for interview, it’s not really about carefully considering each application to select the candidates with the most potential, It’s pretty much about finding an efficient way to cut numbers. "

There is some truth in that I'm afraid. But they don't do it just to be annoying, or because they are cruel, they simply need to cut down the numbers so they can get under way with the interviewing sooner rather than later.
Original post by Nlaji

It's right, as I recall, but there are people (20 or so, someone correct me if I'm wrong, please) each year under the cutoff that get invited to interview.
Original post by Nlaji

The BMAT is about cutting numbers because they simply cannot interview everyone, so it is true that if you score below the cut off then you won't get an interview. However if you have an average BMAT but potentially below average grades you are by no means guaranteed an interview.

There are brackets of BMAT scores with allocated priorities, so they interview the people with the highest BMAT scores first and then continue down until they fill all of the offers.

The grades and effort are still important factors in getting the interview and the place, but unfortunately only after they have considered the BMAT.
This thread needs a resuscitation. :biggrin:

So who's excited for freshers week? Or living in London? Or anything to do with Imperial and medicine?
Original post by <XOXO>
This thread needs a resuscitation. :biggrin:

So who's excited for freshers week? Or living in London? Or anything to do with Imperial and medicine?

Definitely excited for living in London. Got gig tickets already :-)
Original post by italienmoose

Wow, that is eager! What are the tickets for?

Who you seeing man, I might tag along :P?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by <XOXO>
Wow, that is eager! What are the tickets for?

Original post by brighteyes1994
Who you seeing man, I might tag along :P?

Alice Cooper and Nightwish
Alice Cooper and Nightwish

NIGHTWISH! YES! Nice taste, have always wanted to see them live.
Has anyone sent their essay for the scholarship yet?
Reply 3412
Original post by 4 Mathlete the win
Has anyone sent their essay for the scholarship yet?

No, not yet.

Still writing mine. Week and a half till the deadline, so still a fair bit of time to go yet.

Edit: Neg? Next time I won't answer a question then. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NP473L
No, not yet.

Still writing mine. Week and a half till the deadline, so still a fair bit of time to go yet.

Edit: Neg? Next time I won't answer a question then. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you got neg for that. I'm in the same boat, struggling with full time work though. I think I'll be running right up to the deadline
Reply 3414
I don't know why you got neg for that. I'm in the same boat, struggling with full time work though. I think I'll be running right up to the deadline

Yeah. Fortunately it's not the longest thing we'll ever have to write, but every time I write something I think to myself 'No...that sounds pathetic,' so I'd say I've been 'scratching around' a fair bit.

Best of luck to you. :smile:
Will any Medicine applicants be going to their UKCAT help course in September?
Reply 3416
Whew!

Completed and quadruple checked my essay. I'll sleep on it and send it tomorrow.

Time for summer to truly start now. :grin:
Good luck with the essays, guys :biggrin: Hope you get the scholarship!
Reply 3418
Original post by NP473L
Yeah. Fortunately it's not the longest thing we'll ever have to write, but every time I write something I think to myself 'No...that sounds pathetic,' so I'd say I've been 'scratching around' a fair bit.

Best of luck to you. :smile:

hey guys, sorry for the ridiculous question but when it says deadline of 31st july, does that mean it has to be submitted tonight before 12am or can i submit it on 31st july etc? :smile:
Hi guys I want todo medicine at imperial and I have chosen bio, chem, history and economics for A level and after reading the entry requirements I was slightly confused @@ so could someone please tell me whether I need maths as one of my subjects to full fill the requirements or not! Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending