The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nitebot
Giving up all that money eh? You've been watching the History of Ancient Britain too many times! :biggrin:

LOL. Been trying to do it since the late 80s, but would have transferred then "hot off the press" OU credits rather than starting in year 1. Medication resulted in an unexpected family starting. Been biding our time ever since, never ever lost sight of the objective or lost the desire. Started firm planning, and making informal contact with Uni's 3 years ago, with a soft target of 2012 entry, we changed that target to hard early last Autumn, I have now completed my 3 months notice YAYYYY!

Ok so we are no hare's, but we believe we are capable tortoises :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by evening sunrise
LOL. Been trying to do it since the late 80s, but would have transferred then "hot off the press" OU credits rather than starting in year 1. Medication resulted in an unexpected family starting. Been biding our time ever since, never ever lost sight of the objective or lost the desire. Started firm planning, and making informal contact with Uni's 3 years ago, with a soft target of 2012 entry, we changed that target to hard early last Autumn, I have now completed my 3 months notice YAYYYY!

Ok so we are no hare's, but we believe we are capable tortoises :biggrin:

Well as long as you're both happy (and financially sound of course) then it should be good fun.
if u make your age a barrier, then it will become one...a change in career isn't unusual these days.

for sure it makes a diff as to what u want to go into and as long as u have done the research and it's doable, then i think nothing should stop u. there will always be doubts but, who doen't have those?
Definitely not to late at all considering we are having to work to even later on in our lives. GL
Original post by easty46
Hello All

I am 47 years old and considering either taking an Open University LLB Law Degree or Access to Higher Education course with a view to taking a university degree in Engineering or Law in 2013. The reason for me doing this is I was a university drop out in the 80s and now regret doing this deeply. My A level results then would not get me into University straight away now. Given that I would graduate when I was 52 or 53 am I wasting my time using the qualification I gain for a complete career change ?

I have spent many years working in General Administration and Purchasing and would like one last chance to be what I feel I should have been. All Opinions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :smile:

hi easty46 its never too late to start a degree as i mentioned in previous threads on tsr,universities welcome mature students has there have a vast range of knowledge as well as life experience that they value. I would advise you that if thats what you wish to do,then just go for it you be glad you did.
I started and did a degree later on in my life and have never regret it.
I'm 34 nearly 35 starting next month, Cant wait. GO FOR IT!!. Good luck. x
Original post by easty46
Thanks for all the comments so far. I guess my main concern is will I be too old to start a new career in law or engineering when I'm 52-53 ? Am I going to find it impossible to find a job

Depends what you mean by 'a job in law'. You have another 3-4 years mandatory training after a law degree before you are fully qualified, and unless you were able to draw on specific experience form your previous career, I suspect a career as a Barrister or a Solicitor would be a non-starter. I'm a couple of years younger than you and doing the GDL at the moment, and that's the advice I've hunted out.

Engineering - not my area, but I suspect that similarly, unless you were building on your previous experience, you would have to start fairly low down to begin with.

So you have to ask yourself why you are doing this. If you want to put two fingers up to the world and prove you can get a degree, that's fine, and do whatever subject you want, but be aware that it may not lead to a rapid career advancement afterwards. Alternatively, chose a degree subject that builds on your previous career so that you do then offer a double package of qualification and experience, and your career progresses after you graduate.

Personally, I did 3 degrees as a mature student, simply because I wanted to. I enjoyed it, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and they have helped my career.
can't believe there's someone on here older than my parents :eek:
Reply 48
Original post by easty46
Hello All

I am 47 years old and considering either taking an Open University LLB Law Degree or Access to Higher Education course with a view to taking a university degree in Engineering or Law in 2013. The reason for me doing this is I was a university drop out in the 80s and now regret doing this deeply. My A level results then would not get me into University straight away now. Given that I would graduate when I was 52 or 53 am I wasting my time using the qualification I gain for a complete career change ?

I have spent many years working in General Administration and Purchasing and would like one last chance to be what I feel I should have been. All Opinions would be much appreciated.

You're just an inspirational person really :smile:

When I get to your age, I do hope I still have the motivation to study and learn :smile:
Original post by easty46
Hello All

I say go for it! :biggrin:
Reply 50
Financially? Possibly, but probably not. But I think doing a degree is about much more than increasing your potential income.
My best friend at uni is 50 with three children and will graduate with us this year, it's never too late.
Reply 52
Original post by threeportdrift
Depends what you mean by 'a job in law'. You have another 3-4 years mandatory training after a law degree before you are fully qualified, and unless you were able to draw on specific experience form your previous career, I suspect a career as a Barrister or a Solicitor would be a non-starter. I'm a couple of years younger than you and doing the GDL at the moment, and that's the advice I've hunted out.

Engineering - not my area, but I suspect that similarly, unless you were building on your previous experience, you would have to start fairly low down to begin with.

Yes there's a lot of people saying 'go for it' but easty is talking about starting a paid career in law in his 50s. That shouldn't be a barrier but it may well be and there's the costs too. My sister did a degree in Sociology in her 50s but that was for a challenge. She already had her NHS career and was not expecting pay back from her studies.

In terms of engineering, I know of a guy who was already a some sort of tradesman, who completed an electrical and electronic engineering degree in his mid 50s. But that was enhancing existing knowledge.
Reply 53
Go for it. You're never too old to learn. University isn't just the end of the conveyor belt for young people seeking a job, it's a place of learning just for the knowledge. I would still enjoy learning new stuff even if I was on my deathbed tbh.
Original post by easty46
Thanks for all the comments so far. I guess my main concern is will I be too old to start a new career in law or engineering when I'm 52-53 ? Am I going to find it impossible to find a job

I would say this is a major factor. The over 50's age group is the least employable there is and you could seriously struggle to forge a new career after you graduate. If finance isn't an issue, I'd definitely go for it.
Reply 55
Original post by easty46
Hello All

Have you got a second life to do this degree in? No, so do it! You could lie til you're 110 and still be regretting this, of course you're not too old, life's too short to not seize every opportunity.
Reply 56
Hi. This thread is pretty old now (not as old as me though!) but still thought I'd throw in my two cents worth since this seems to be a recurring topic - in fact, I posted a very similar question to the one asked just a couple of years ago when I was 54 (I'm now 56)

My situation was slightly different to yours but I think the same basic principles apply. I was involved in the professional music business for virtually all of my working life, and when I became what I considered was a bit long in the tooth for it, I thought I might begin lecturing/tutoring new generations of those hoping to enter the industry. But I felt that I would stand little or no chance of getting such work without formal qualifications to go with my experience and hence I applied (and got accepted) for a place on a BSc (Hons) course in Studio Recording & Performance Technology. I skipped the first year of the course under whats called the APEL scheme (Accreditation by Prior Experiential Learning) and was extremely apprehensive about what was in store, but I need not have worried: I have had a blast with fellow students and lecturers alike, though admit to having worked extra hard to do the absolute best that I could.

This month my hard work has been rewarded with a 1st class degree and I have even won a prize for best performing final year student in the department.

Best of all, as a result of my experience and the contacts I made in uni, instead of going into full time lecturing, I am now fairly confident of winning a PhD studentship - which is way beyond anything I originally hoped for - and the fact that I will get paid a tax free stipend of £14k for it is a fantastic bonus.

I still reckon I will have a few more years work left in me even after the three years this is gonna take, but it will have been worth it just for the exerience and the satisfaction it will afford me even if I dont find a job 'because of my age'. I therefore wholeheartedly echo the views of other posters - If nothing else, it will be a great experience, and like some others have already said, one rarely regrets what one has done - but rather the things you didn't do. Go for it & Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
I know this thread is old but i want to say that my mum did a degree from home in her late 40s while working, looking after 3 kids, looking after her house and hubby and her disabled father-in-law. She graduated and started working. Grabted it wasnt in law but teaching but if she can manage it then anyone can!! But she did have mine and my dads hekp with grandad and my help with looking after the house. And law is tough to get into at the moment. My cousin who is nearly 30 has been struggling for years to get a training contract, shes been working in a law office but no training contract as of yet. Too many people want to get into it at the moment.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 58
Go for it!
Only just saw this thread, so, sorry reply's a bit late. I have two undergrad. degrees and a teaching diploma. All done from age 24+. Can honestly say that learning with young people is great and keeps you feeling young.
Definitely go for it. You can bring a lot to the classroom if you go into teaching.
V. best of luck and enjoy yourself!

Latest

Trending

Trending