The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Feeling down again and anxious/worried. My CBT practitioner is leaving and is passing me on to another. It wasn't easy opening up to her in the first place and after a month or so finally starting to trust her, but now she's leaving.

I'm apprehensive about how the next practitioner will be:erm:

I want to ask if she'll still be working in the local area and whether I could just continue along at her new job. But not sure if I should even ask, does anyone have any experience of being in a similar situation? It would help a lot

Reply 6201
My dad is stupid :mad:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S
Reply 6202
Original post by bytail
Sounds like a really difficult situation :console: Is the crime something which would be taken to court by the police, or would it involve someone else prosecuting? If it's something which the police are unlikely to independently prosecute for, then you could tell professionals confidentially? Sorry if I'm talking rubbish, I don't have any experience with such matters.

No you're right, if the circumstances were even just a little bit different I would have some options, but unfortunately at the moment it's a perfect storm. :frown:

Thanks for trying to help though.

I think I've decided that I'm going to hold out for now and tell somebody at uni if it's something that's still worrying me a lot when I get back.
I've also remembered that there is a phoneline I can call (I think confidentially) about this specific topic.
And if that goes wrong I could just hang up without answering any of their questions and phone somebody like Samaritans or similar I guess.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Anyone seen the advert for the new Channel 4 program about employing 'mad' people? The premise is similar to the show that BBC2 did a few years ago where psychologists/psychiatrists attempted to see if they could diagnose mental illness from just observing people over a week long period - apart from this time it's employers looking to hire people and half the people who are being interviewed have/have had a mental illness - or as Channel 4 puts it delicately, are 'mad'. It's part of a series of programs trying to break through the stigma of mental illness.

BUT. The advert just repeats the word 'mad' and it's pissed me off, how the hell can they say that they're trying to challenge stigma when they're constantly pushing a word that has a lot of negative connotations to it in the face of that? It's just a show based on guessing on appearances who has a mental illness and who hasn't, which is the bloody stigma they're trying to combat! It's made me so, so angry. Not to mention the fact that it's implying that people with mental illnesses are less able to work (which may be true in certain situations, but to be perfectly frank as an employee I am a damn sight better than some crummy guy who doesn't want to be there and is taking the job just to please their JSA advisor - yes I have an illness but I am hard working and dedicated and will often put my job over my mental health in a negative way) in a productive manner.

Grr.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jul/16/4-goes-mad-mental-illness

I read the Guardian article before I saw the ad, and I think the article gives a good impression of the program, it looks like it might actually do a good job of breaking down stigma. As for the ad, well, it's probably just trying to get people's attention so it attracts as wide an audience as possible. It's sad that they have to be provocative to attract attention but if the program does do a good job then personally I hope it reaches as many people as possible.

Original post by bytail
Not sure what to make of it to be honest. There's so much stigma and misunderstanding about mental health that I'd like to think it might challenge a few misconceptions. Some people in the comments section of that article are saying things like "well everyone gets depressed" and "most people have felt suicidal at some point" :lolwut:?! I hate how illnesses such as depression, anxiety, OCD and even eating disorders are trivialised. "Oh, well everyone gets sad/worried sometimes", "I'm a bit OCD about that", "She looks anorexic", etc. Even worse is the way that illnesses such as schizophrenia, PTSD, paranoia and psychosis leave sufferers labelled as "crazy" and "in need of locking up". It's sickening. Yes, people's beliefs and thought patterns can be frustrating at times (I sure as hell know mine can be!), but they're ill, and they need your support rather than your judgement. It is perfectly possible to live a normal life despite a mental illness, and I wish more people realised that.

I'm sure a lot of it is due to ignorance and poor understanding of what constitutes a "mental illness", which only further aggravates me because these things should be spoken about in school in the same way that children are taught how to eat healthily and handle stress.

I also very much agree with this, good points.
hiya :h: camping was good fun! :yep:

back home now though, gonna get some more sleep I think!

hope everyone here is okay and stuff! :hugs:
Quick question - should I put that I have mental health issues on the ucas form online cause I'm really not sure ???

I will post properly next week as my laptop is being repaired so I'm using the family shared one :s-smilie:
Original post by kahinalouise
Quick question - should I put that I have mental health issues on the ucas form online cause I'm really not sure ???

I will post properly next week as my laptop is being repaired so I'm using the family shared one :s-smilie:

I didn't when I applied but a couple of months later, after I had firmed, I called my uni to ask about parking because I would be driving, I don't deal well with public transport, and they put my through to the disability team and made me an appointment.

When I went it turned out I was eligable for all kinds of things like a laptop, dicataphone, printer, parking pass and a book, petrol and ink allowance.

I had no idea about this and I got these because of my panic disorder so if you are unsure then maybe call UCAS and find out what you should do/can get.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2176397/Outrage-Channel-4-strap-straitjacket-Winston-Churchill-statue-highlight-mental-health-issues.html

Outrage as Channel 4 strap a straitjacket on Winston Churchill statue to 'highlight mental health issues'

Today, his grandson, ex-defence secretary Nicholas Soames, told The Sun: 'Even by Channel 4’s pretty dismal standards, this is contemptible.'

How is this "contemptible"? Daring to highlight that Churchill suffered from mental illness is that bad a thing? :s-smilie:
Original post by Sabertooth
How is this "contemptible"? Daring to highlight that Churchill suffered from mental illness is that bad a thing? :s-smilie:

I just read the article and agree with you it is no "contemptible" but I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't come up with a different symbol for it. A strait jacket isn't something I'd personally want associated with me but as for raising awareness its pretty funny.
Original post by Anonymous
I just read the article and agree with you it is no "contemptible" but I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't come up with a different symbol for it. A strait jacket isn't something I'd personally want associated with me but as for raising awareness its pretty funny.

I suppose the intention is to shock. Of course no one would advocate putting Churchill or the other figures in straitjackets so I guess you could extend that to regular people with the same illnesses. Personally straitjackets make me feel very uncomfortable but I think here there isn't really any other symbol they could have used which would have the same intended meaning (if that was the meaning....that's just the way I see it).
Original post by Sabertooth
I suppose the intention is to shock. Of course no one would advocate putting Churchill or the other figures in straitjackets so I guess you could extend that to regular people with the same illnesses. Personally straitjackets make me feel very uncomfortable but I think here there isn't really any other symbol they could have used which would have the same intended meaning (if that was the meaning....that's just the way I see it).

People would have though - back when Churchill was in power and even 20 years ago in the UK. It's a massively negative connotation and it could've been done a lot better (how about having his 'big black dog' on the statue?)
Original post by kiss_me_now9
People would have though - back when Churchill was in power and even 20 years ago in the UK. It's a massively negative connotation and it could've been done a lot better (how about having his 'big black dog' on the statue?)

You're right, they might have, but we're not living then, we're living now and we're trying to change current perceptions not past ones.

How would you extend the big black dog to the other 2 statues targeted?
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't when I applied but a couple of months later, after I had firmed, I called my uni to ask about parking because I would be driving, I don't deal well with public transport, and they put my through to the disability team and made me an appointment.

When I went it turned out I was eligable for all kinds of things like a laptop, dicataphone, printer, parking pass and a book, petrol and ink allowance.

I had no idea about this and I got these because of my panic disorder so if you are unsure then maybe call UCAS and find out what you should do/can get.

Thanks, I'm glad you benefited from it, I would feel guilty asking though :colondollar: , I might ask my head of year in September instead about what I should do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6213
I've been trying to tackle my anxiety and go see friends loads to overcome feeling down, using the principle of Susan jeffers' 'Feel the fear and do it Anyway' and it's really working. I know I have great friends and loads of time to have fun. The only problem is, I'm getting invited out a LOT, and it's always late at night. Late nights seem to catch up to me quickly but my mum refuses to believe I'm too tired when I say I want to give it a miss, she keeps assuming it's anxiety/depression and telling me to go out otherwise she starts guilt-tripping me about taking friends for granted, losing everyone I love, feeling sorry for myself etc.
So lately I have just done as she said and rode right through the pain barrier/fatigue, I've been doing so for around 5 days now. And it's a big problem-my breathing now feels very laboured on top of just being tired and more panicky, it's genuinely difficult running up stairs, and I've been getting some iffy chest pains. I dunno if it's just an anxiety thing, it's probably mild sleep deprivation, or it could be my health starting to be impacted by this/the binging (although I've lost 'weight' from all of this). Is this normal? I'm scared and she won't help me because she doesn't think it'll help :/ what do I do?
Still not heard from the ****ing CMHT.
Reply 6215
Original post by bytail

:hugs:
Reply 6216
I've had a good day today :smile:.

The weird thing for today: I was negged on a post I made over a month ago!
Original post by bytail

:hugs: that sucks, if you don't hear from them soon can you call them to follow it up maybe?
Original post by SciFiRory
:hugs: that sucks, if you don't hear from them soon can you call them to follow it up maybe?

Parents have been nagging them since I was referred, they said I'd hear from them at the beginning of this week. It's a ****ing joke and I really feel like doing something dumb because I can't live like this
Reply 6219
For the first time ever, I actually really want to speak to my care coordinator. But, of course, I now can not get hold of her for love nor money. :sigh: