The Student Room Group

Mass shooting at Batman film premiere.

Scroll to see replies

6 servers at the Aurora location of the restaurant chain where I work were shot and killed. Waiting to hear back on if they need me to go up there and help fill in today.

We need better gun control. Everyone here in Colorado is just kinda shocked right now.
Reply 161
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
i don't see the government going around killing people.

:curious:
Original post by sugar-n-spice
I think America shud make crime illegal that way it will never happen, just like making cannabis or assault rifles illegal (der illegal in america) means ppl will never get dem illegally, oh no wait, dis guy had an assault rifle which he must have acquired illegally, ****, does dis mean that even if all firearms had been outlawed this wud have still happened? Sure does.

****ing idiot.

Stop trying to be sarcastic when you can't spell. Baby steps ****tard.
Reply 163
Original post by ijb57611
Or maybe people actually care? Did that occur to you?

They care when it happens in US/UK/Europe. Not anywhere else.
Original post by rafishakouri
Apparently he released a smoke bomb of sorts. What is wrong with the world?

There's nothing wrong with the world, there's something wrong with that person, don't let his actions affect your perception of all humanity.
Ban everything
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Ban everything

Sometimes it does sort of seem like "give them an inch, they take a mile," doesn't it?
Reply 167
Original post by nosceteipsummm
6 servers at the Aurora location of the restaurant chain where I work were shot and killed. Waiting to hear back on if they need me to go up there and help fill in today.

We need better gun control. Everyone here in Colorado is just kinda shocked right now.

Wait.... What?

Surely the whole place is closed off? I doubt there's many people looking to go eat at the crime scene.... Or am I mistaken?
I think it was the joker, only he can commit a crime of such magnitude :smile:
Original post by Stefan1991
:curious:

What are you curious about?
Original post by Steezy
Wait.... What?

Surely the whole place is closed off? I doubt there's many people looking to go eat at the crime scene.... Or am I mistaken?

Oh the restaurant isn't very near the theater. I don't think many people will be going out today (as you can tell there's already a very somber mood everywhere here) but if you're a corporate chain you have to stay open, you know?

I imagine trying to get anywhere in Aurora is hellish right now with the press and police and everything.

Kinda seems that Colorado's had the short end of the stick this summer. :frown:
Any information on James Holmes ?!
Original post by Steezy
What is it then with America, in your opinion?

I agree that it can't be simply because guns are legal (as highlighted in 'Bowling for Columbin' - other countries with relaxed gun laws don't experience this level of violence).

But then what is it with Americans??

I remember a quote (can't remember where from), that says - If you take away shame from a person, they will do whatever they want to do. That is the very definition of America - these people have no shame and therefore, they do whatever they want to do."

This always rung true with me, it's quite evident that compared to most countries, America is definitely shameless.

Is this the problem I wonder? If a canadian gets pissed off and decides to get revenge for something, does he stop short of picking up his Dad's pistol and going on a rampage for fear of the shame it would bring to him and his family?

I know if I had no shame I'd have a lot less reservations about a number of things.

Perhaps you have a very cartoonified vision of yankieland, the two things I always hear which drive me insane are one, America has lots of crime and it's somewhat easier to get guns there, therefore one must cause the other and two restricting guns as we do is the solution. The first is a non sequitur and doesn't make very much sense when you look at Switzerland where they don't just let people have rifles for hunting but assault rifles for home defence yet have less gun crime, it's also *******s because american guns laws are stricter than you think, to get one you can't have been sectioned for being mentally ill at any time, you need a licence to carry it around in public in some states and you need have criminal records check which seems all very measured compared with the vision of 12 year old creationist cowboys firing their guns into the air whilst squealing YEEEEEEEHAWW WE'Z GOIN GO DOWN TO THE BORDER AN HUNT OWSELVES SOME MEXICANS most people have of americans. The reason why I find the second thing amusing is that by definition, a criminal doesn't obey the law so making guns totally against the law probably won't make as much difference as people would expect it to.

continued below
Reply 173
I think America shud make crime illegal that way it will never happen, just like making cannabis or assault rifles illegal (der illegal in america) means ppl will never get dem illegally, oh no wait, dis guy had an assault rifle which he must have acquired illegally, ****, does dis mean that even if all firearms had been outlawed this wud have still happened? Sure does.

****ing idiot.

Are you an actual retard? Compare how many mass shootings America has to any other country. Oh what's that? Of course there is going to be more gun crime in a place where it is EASY to acquire guns rather than somewhere (such as Britain) where it is more difficult. **** me, some people are hopeless.
I think its a mixture of poverty which is why general gun crime is so high and the individual uncaring culture, which causes these sad cases of messed up suburban kids to go crazy to get revenge on society or get some fame. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the guns used in americas gangland shootings were illegal automatic ones anyway, nobody ****s a ****** up using a hunting rifle. Canada has had a few cases of shootings but it also takes better care of its people which is why there are less, if a Canadian wanted a gun he could probably get one across the border.
Reply 175
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
What are you curious about?

Your ignorance?
Reply 176
Perhaps you have a very cartoonified vision of yankieland, the two things I always hear which drive me insane are one, America has lots of crime and it's somewhat easier to get guns there, therefore one must cause the other and two restricting guns as we do is the solution. The first is a non sequitur and doesn't make very much sense when you look at Switzerland where they don't just let people have rifles for hunting but assault rifles for home defence yet have less gun crime, it's also *******s because american guns laws are stricter than you think, to get one you can't have been sectioned for being mentally ill at any time, you need a licence to carry it around in public in some states and you need have criminal records check which seems all very measured compared with the vision of 12 year old creationist cowboys firing their guns into the air whilst squealing YEEEEEEEHAWW WE'Z GOIN GO DOWN TO THE BORDER AN HUNT OWSELVES SOME MEXICANS most people have of americans. The reason why I find the second thing amusing is that by definition, a criminal doesn't obey the law so making guns totally against the law probably won't make as much difference as people would expect it to.

continued below

This post was pretty much unnecesary
Reply 177
I think its a mixture of poverty which is why general gun crime is so high and the individual uncaring culture, which causes these sad cases of messed up suburban kids to go crazy to get revenge on society or get some fame. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the guns used in americas gangland shootings were illegal automatic ones anyway, nobody ****s a ****** up using a hunting rifle. Canada has had a few cases of shootings but it also takes better care of its people which is why there are less, if a Canadian wanted a gun he could probably get one across the border.

Thanks for addressing my question.
Reply 178
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Surprise surprise. The countries where you can buy guns legally top the list. Even Switzerland has more than twice the rate than the UK. And some idiots are seriously trying to suggest making guns illegal wouldn't make a difference??

If Britain legalised guns then I could guarantee they would be higher up on that list.
Original post by Jordan_1
Are you an actual retard? Compare how many mass shootings America has to any other country. Oh what's that? Of course there is going to be more gun crime in a place where it is EASY to acquire guns rather than somewhere (such as Britain) where it is more difficult. **** me, some people are hopeless.

The guy had an assault rifle which is illegal in the USA for a civilian under any circumstances, so implying stricter gun laws would have helped here shows a lot about you. Correlation does not equal causation why does Switzerland not have more gun crime than the USA their gun laws are even more lax, you're also showing your ignorance now because guns are harder to get in the USA than you think, you need to pass a background check, that is mental health, criminal record and more.

You're clearly one of these retards who thinks all americans are creationists who believe the world is 3000 years old.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply