The Student Room Group

If death is inevitable, why bother?

Why do we feel compelled to live life like it has a purpose? Okay, death could count as purpose, but why bother adhering to rules and being 'good' if our bodies are just going to rot in the ground?

(I probably sound like an idiot to the philosophers out there but I am intrigued about the responses.)

*cautiously submits thread*

If you are here to reply with the fact that I am being pessimistic, etc...don't worry, you don't have to waste a post as a few already have done it.

I purely created this thread because I was curious about people's attitudes towards life, not because I feel that there is no point to life or to bring anyone down.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

YOLO.

You might as well make the most of it and try to be happy.
Reply 2
You've answered your own question. There is no point. Except to enjoy ourselves and be happy for as long as possible.
Reply 3
Original post by Starfish101
I find religions often give life purpose :smile:

Care to expand on why you feel this is the case?
I have my own opinion on religion and life but I'd like to see what people's attitudes are towards life and using religion as an influence.

Original post by im so academic
YOLO.

What about reincarnation?
Reply 4
What happens after the death is much more important. This is reason why we have religions.
Original post by MereBeing
What about reincarnation?

It's bull**** unless proven with sound evidence.
Reply 6
Original post by Stefan1991
You've answered your own question. There is no point. Except to enjoy ourselves and be happy for as long as possible.

Isn't enjoying yourself and being happy a purpose itself?
Original post by Starfish101
I find religions often give life purpose :smile:

Religion restricts this play of choice and adaptation, since it imposes equally on everyone its own path to the acquisition of happiness and protection from suffering. Its technique consists in depressing the value of life and distorting the picture of the real world in a delusional manner--which presupposes an intimidation of the intelligence. At this price, by forcibly fixing them in a state of psychical infantilism and by drawing them into a mass-delusion, religion succeeds in sparing many people an individual neurosis. But hardly anything more. There are, as we have said, many paths which may lead to such happiness as is attainable by men, but there is none which does so for certain. Even religion cannot keep its promise. If the believer finally sees himself obliged to speak of God's 'inscrutable decrees', he is admitting that all that is left to him as a last possible consolation and source of pleasure in his suffering is an unconditional submission. And if he is prepared for that, he could probably have spared himself the détour he has made.

Finally get to quote this.
Reply 8
Why do we feel compelled to live life like it has a purpose? Okay, death could count as purpose, but why bother adhering to rules and being 'good' if our bodies are just going to rot in the ground?

(I probably sound like an idiot to the philosophers out there but I am intrigued about the responses.)

With this type of mentality you can live a free and beautiful life, im serious.
Reply 9
Why bother? For anyone whether they believe in a religion or not, they still live life to the full. They enjoy who they're with and they don't take life for granted.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
YOLO.

Very encouraging to see you post something like that :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Rtcw
What happens after the death is much more important. This is reason why we have religions.

Why bother if there is an uncertainty about the existence of the afterlife?

It's bull**** unless proven with sound evidence.

Just covering all grounds :biggrin: I don't think it's necessary to use profanity to get your point across :smile:
Reply 12
You make your own purpose in life. I think for most people, the purpose of life is to find happiness, whatever that may be for you. You only live once (as far as we know), so enjoy it!
Reply 13
Original post by _Shmiley
Why bother? For anyone whether they believe in a religion or not, they still live life to the full. They enjoy who they're with and they don't take life for granted.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

My question is why we feel the need to do all this if every breath we take leads to our death, as we have nothing to gain at the end of it all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Reincarnation could exist because as some of us are uncertain of the future of the universe, which means there are essentially infinite possibilities for the future, then there is a strong chance that at some point we will 'wake up' or be 'reborn' if our brain was somehow reproduced in <> billion years, whether or not we have any memories of the past is also down to chance.

Also when saying there is 'no point' to doing certain things, you could also say there is 'no point' in 'not' doing certain things. There is no choice between living and doing pointless actions, or death, the fact that you are alive now and were born, coupled with the fact that death is inevitable for everyone means that there is no need to choose, its been chosen for us already. Some things make you feel good, some things make you feel bad, sometimes if you do something that makes you feel good, it makes you feel bad as a consequence, so you avoid those things. That's life.
The purpose of life is to be a good sumeritan and once you've reaped your benefits by hoarding all your ambitions by putting someone else in your place, you shall retain retain your rightful place in the most holy of holies. To some of you it is a term we often embellish and others are deemed outrageous for perceiving it as a fabrication. This word is heaven. But ye say I shall dwell forever therein and be showered by inconceivable bounties. But alas, if you choose to eat the apple you shall be doomed to an eternity on a lonely planet far inferior to the realm which I have forsaken. You gotta love the mystical elements of religion. Oh those prophets of divine revelation. But I agree. Religion does seem to give a sense of belonging and assurance. Humans aren't really all that magnificent, yet there is something that distinguishes us from the rest of this universe.
Reply 16

To try and make a difference.

Some make more of a difference than others, however you will always have an effect on the lives of others. Just be happy and enjoy the time you have, then you've already made a difference for the better, you've made others happy.
Reply 17
Because we crave respect and acceptance by our peers.

Our egotistical desire drives our every action.

Edit; Technically, humanity's purpose is procreation, but that doesn't really answer anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
YOLO.

Good luck trying to get a nice and intelligent boyfriend.
Reply 19
To try and make a difference, and to make yourself and the people you love as happy as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending