Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How easy is it to join the public sector?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for a entry level position like an admin role, would it be best to apply direct or join an agency?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how easy the employer can fill their vacancies. So an exclusivist approach is not one I eould recommend. Try both.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apply direct. Stopping the employment of contractors is one form of current public sector expenditure cut.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Join an agency, for temporary type roles its more cost effective for them to recruit staff that way. Certain agencies have contracts with a particular local authority etc.

There are probably more temporary agency based public sector admin roles these days than there used to be because they are much less likely to recruit permanent staff due to cut (and declining into the future) budgets.

If you are just doing admin in the public sector though don't expect it to be a bed of roses, I know you hear stuff about how public sector workers get great pay and superb pensions that they can retire on 55, but this is basically doctors, headteachers, senior police officers, etc, public sector admin is a life of low pay and measly pension.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hays get a lot of contracts for public sector jobs. Lots of departments in central government have a recruitment freeze. I have a lot of swear words for what i think of this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I work in a special needs school as a clerical assistant, i got the job by doing work experience through an NVQ. The school signed up to the training agency to take on volunteers. After a lot of hard work i now work there full time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.