Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

2nd year house/housemates

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a random question as I don't even start uni until September, but when do you have to start finding housemates and a house for second year?

I'm so scared I'll make no friends and not have anyone to share with!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well... in Lancaster I knew a lot of people did it in November. It depends where you are and stuff, but I'd advise leaving it later rather than earlier. It gives you more time to get to know people and to decide who you want to live with! You don't want to commit to living with people you don't want to live with
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I reckon they should do a Big Brother and just force people to live together.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    We started looking January/February ish, I think. During those freak snowstorms, we had a snowball fight on the way home.

Don't worry - everyone's in the same boat, you'll find a group
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, thanks

Someone had said they arranged it all before Christmas and it got me worried!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M'Ling)
    I reckon they should do a Big Brother and just force people to live together.
    That'd be so much easier!
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    It varies across the country - in manchester people look in jan / feb (although I know one group who did it in dec!) but I believe in London the househunting starts in August.

Best tactic, if you're worried, is to ask someone you get along well with if they want to live together, and go from there - there's likely to be other people, and it's surprisingly common to live with friends of friends - who of course them become your own friends.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Me and the guys I live with started looking before the Christmas holiday (primarily because I tend to take charge of things and make sure they happen) and then sorted it when we returned. Most people didn't start looking until Jan/Feb at the earliest.

If you really can't find people to go with the university should have a system for putting you with others in a similar situation or finding groups that don't have enough, etc.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Between december and march is the norm. Don't worry, everyone feels like that

I have been to two universities and at one we did it all in Jan/Feb and at my most recent one we did it in November/December (however this was purely because we already knew who we wanted to live with and had placement after xmas so decided it was easier to get it all sorted in the first term. People were still looking for houses by Easter!)
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Started browsing from January, usually had everything sorted by March/April. People usually think you have to find a house ASAP but there will always be somewhere available; I have a few friends who still haven't signed a place for next academic year. However, obviously, the earlier the better (in a non-contradictory way).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did mine early January, but know people who sorted it in November as well as people who literally only just sorted it in the last few weeks or even people who are still looking. It's the kind of thing that just works out somehow or other.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did it in January, same time as most people at my uni (UEA)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 21, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.