The Student Room Group

Microsoft Office DSA version...

How is the DSA version any different from standard Microsoft Office packages I can buy from the high street?
Reply 1
High street packages usually contain some applications and miss others (usually missing Access).

The DSA package is the Academic package and contains everything. The academic package is much better than the retail packages.

Note: when I originally said 'everything' I meant the standard office apps. MS Visio is not included but this is always sold separately. Though if your university has MSDNAA you can get Visio free through that :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Acei
High street packages usually contain some applications and miss others (usually missing Access).

The DSA package is the Academic package and contains everything. The academic package is much better than the retail packages.

Note: when I originally said 'everything' I meant the standard office apps. MS Visio is not included but this is always sold separately. Though if your university has MSDNAA you can get Visio free through that :smile:

Ok thanks. Does it come in packaging or do I just get the CD? And does the CD actually say Microsoft Office DSA Version?
Reply 3
If you're getting a laptop or desktop then it will come pre-installed and usually comes with the disks. The disks shouldn't mention DSA, they're more likely to mention 'academic edition'. Just like the disks would be if you were to get them from the Microsoft program called 'ultimate steal' at http://store.digitalriver.com/store/msshgb/en_GB/DisplaySHProductDetailsPage/productID.242145400. The disks don't usually come in packaging other than disk sleeves, but it may vary with provider.
Reply 4
Mine didn't come with any disks, it was already installed and I was told by the guy that delivered it that if there was any problems the supplier (Barry Bennett) would come out and fix it.
Reply 5
Mine came with the discs in packaging.

Are you intending to sell it?!
Reply 6
Original post by Ice_Queen
Mine came with the discs in packaging.

Are you intending to sell it?!

No I'm not but I'm buying the laptop myself and claiming back the money so I was wondering whether it would be better for me to buy the software myself too.
Reply 7
Original post by ResultsDday
No I'm not but I'm buying the laptop myself and claiming back the money so I was wondering whether it would be better for me to buy the software myself too.

Are you able to do that? I know some people who have asked for different laptops that the ones normally provided, and have been given these, but had to pay the difference in price themselves.
Reply 8
Original post by fluttershy
Are you able to do that? I know some people who have asked for different laptops that the ones normally provided, and have been given these, but had to pay the difference in price themselves.

Yeah I got confirmation from SFE that I would be able to buy the laptop myself and that I would pay the difference in cost.
Reply 9
To add confusion Office now also comes in a Microsoft Office University edition which replaces one of the academic versions. Some DSA suppliers will still provide professional plus, others the new University edition. In theory when you cease studies then this version's licence is null and void!
Original post by NJones
To add confusion Office now also comes in a Microsoft Office University edition which replaces one of the academic versions. Some DSA suppliers will still provide professional plus, others the new University edition. In theory when you cease studies then this version's licence is null and void!

Maybe in theory but in practice microsoft say the licenses on all academic editions of office are for life.
Does the DSA MS office professional Academic 2013 expire?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
We've not had confirmation that the University edition expires, but since, the DSA version seems to have replaced it. From looking at the details the DSA version seems to be like the old ProPlus version but with the subsidy retails at £20-£35 for DSA users.

Quick Reply

Latest