The Student Room Group

Failed my fourth driving test!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RevisionSuccess
8:10 am. I don't want to wait for it, I just want to get the test done.

Don't do it that early. You're getting caught in rush hour and there are more cars on the road.

My instructor always told me to aim for a test that would happen during less busy times like between 10-11, 2-3 and such.
Reply 21
Hi , have you rebooked your test ? Heres a few tips that helped me get through mine.I passed on the 4th time and was over the moon because my theory would of ran out two weeks later.
Try and get someone to take you on the routes around your area outside of driving yourself,this will help you with what lanes to be in etc.
Don't tell anyone your doing the test,i told 3 times and didnt tell on the 4th and passed....it only adds to the pressure of people expecting you to pass.
Don't get excited by thinking about the examiner saying youve passed,i kept doing this and it didnt help at all,just be calm and drive as you do on your lessons and youll be fine.
Have a cup of tea beforehand,this helped me too :smile:
Hope this helps and good luck with your test!
Reply 22
You need to do us all a favour and get an Oyster card.
People who can't pass their test after 2 attempts should have to wait 5 years, their judgement is obviously impaired.

Ladies, know your limitations; don't drive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Do you have any reason which makes you need your licence urgently? It can really add pressure if you do which may lead you to commit more faults than you normally would. It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll need lots more lessons.
Reply 24
Has your instructor sat in on any of these tests?
I'm on my third test now, and insured as a learner, but I think not keeping up lessons in between my first and second test didn't help me! good luck :smile:
Hey :smile: keep your chin up, you'll get there!

I agree with previous posters, 32 hours is NOT enough. It really isn't. I passed my 2nd test this week with 3 minors having had something like 60 hours of lessons and maybe 2 hours of private practice. I think you're being hard on yourself.

Similarly your judgement is definitely a problem and you really can't finetune that enough with only just over 30 hours. You really need more (can't stress it enough!)

I'd also say perhaps take your instructor in the car with you next time so if you fail again (hopefully not!) he can advise you properly on whats going wrong. I took mine in the 2nd time and tbh just his presence calmed me down! Nerves definitely don't help.

PLUS the UK driving test IS tough. Don't get too worked up because it's a hard hard test. But you'll get there :smile:
Reply 27
I feel your pain, i've failed 3 so far and it is purely on nerves now :/

I was so close to passing the first time and the added nerves each time have just made it worse since! my 2nd test was absolutely horrendous haha! My flatmates passed on their 3rd and 5th attempts to hopefully i'll be going down the middle and pass on number 4!!
Original post by RevisionSuccess
Can someone please help me. I keep failing my driving test and I'm getting worse every single time!
For my first one, I did 27 hours of driving and got 4 minors and 1 major.
For my second one, I did 3 more hours and got 3 minors and 2 majors.
For my third one, I did another 2 hours and received 3 majors and 6 minors.
For my fourth one, I went on the day of the test half an hour before with my instructor and received 10 minors and 2 majors.

I had the same examiner for all my tests except the second one (not sure if he recognised me or not). I also did the same route on my second and third test. I'm trying really hard to pass and I was so nervous about my fourth exam. I just don't think I can do it anymore.

I haven't been telling anyone that I'm doing my third or fourth driving test - only my family and instructor know. How can I be doing worse every time. I don't think it's so much nerves even though I get terribly nervous. I feel a bit better when I'm doing the exam.

My instructor recommended doing 3 hours in a week leading to the exam to get in the zone (but if I do that, I am not going to do lessons every week because I don't want to keep throwing money away). I don't feel like I need any lessons, I don't feel rusty and don't even drive outside of lessons. There's nothing else to learn.

Sorry this is so long winded, but you can see I'm so frustrated with it all. Do you/anyone you know have to take their test more than five times to pass? I know of some but it just makes you feel like giving up.

It took me 4 tests to pass but I did in the end and I think the reason was....I changed instructors. If you've taken the test 4 times and failed with the same instructor then really the way I see it he/she isn't the right person for you. It sounds like a strange thing to say when it's you ultimately taking the test but it's his/her responsibility to prepare you to be a safe and confident driver especially when examined under test conditions. So I'd suggest looking for another instructor. Also remember what you're doing wrong and how to improve and perhaps get one of those driving books. They're not essential but do help you get into "the zone".
Original post by martin jol
in australia before taking the test it's compulsory to have 120 hours done. so i agree with the people saying 32 isn't enough :smile:
just get some more experience and driving will become more natural to you so you won't be as nervous.

There's no ideal limit imo it's just how long it takes you to get to grips with the whole process but obviously the more the better.

Also to the OP if you're failing on a manual car test then perhaps try switching to automatic even though it would mean you can only drive automatics? I mean I drive an automatic now although I passed on a manual gearbox. Driving automatic is so much easier and stress free (imo). Perhaps you might want to consider that. At the end of the day it'd be better to be driving if it is only an automatic rather than not driving at all....right?
book your next one without telling anybody, obviously only the instructor as you need the car, right before the test do a quick 30 min drive to ease you into it, try and get an early slot on the weekend

well i had an early slot, it felt a bit like a ghost town which was weirdish but it might help you calm down if not many cars are about, when this is the case they usually take you up dual carriageways, that was my comfort zone

as you said of your majors, practice your reverse park and observation at a junction, if you made the mistake in 2 tests, why would the examiner think you wouldn't in real life, when you have lessons are you pretty much flawless and the instructor barely points out mistakes?

last year i had about 25 lessons before my first test (only got booked as instructor thought i was ready), i messed up and got 1 major for observation at a roundabout (damn you speeding man from the right) but i also realised i wasn't 100% comfortable with roundabouts.
then i had a 2 month break for the exam period, had about 5 lessons to practice roundabouts until i was 100% confident and a mock test, tried to do the test calmly despite anxiety, had a nice examiner which always helps but because i was certain there was no aspect in which i was lacking, i had the confidence from practice which helped me to pass

good luck and don't view it as your 5th test, think of the ones prior as practice attempts and view this as a fresh attempt with a new mindset of PASSING :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
My instructor sat in the back of the car. I can't ssay whether or not that had an influence on me passing but you might want to consider that option if given it.

don't worry about the number of tests. It's better to take loads and then pass rather than not taking them out of fear of failing or giving up etc. Believe me once you start driving you'll wonder how you ever managed without. Sometimes I still can't believe I passed sounds silly to say but it's satisfying to know I can drive around now without someone pressing on the dual control and not having to carry a green card licence although another shader than pink would be better. You'll do it don't worry.
Reply 32
Hello guys I've just failed my second driving test yesterday and I'm really down about it. First test I got 1 major and very few minors my major was hesitating to turn right on a busy road stopping traffic so I knew I failed. Second time I was more confident but failed with 3 majors and 4 minors which is worse then the first so I'm abit worried I'm getting worse I got 3 majors 1 for doing 40 in a 60mph road , one for not turning the steering wheel quick enough when pulling out and one for being in the left lane on roundabout when turning right. Oh and I also failed because I thought a car had flashed me to go but it was just the sun flashed on his lights making me think he was letting me go. As soon as I came out test centre and pulled up on left and didn't turn enough to come out I knew I had failed. I've lost my confidence know as my intsructer says I'm a great driver I don't no if it was my nerves or me not concentrating but I don't no whether to give up. I had a strict women both times aswell could tell she didn't like me. Help !!!! What should I do
Reply 33
Don't give up nomatter what you will get there in the end!! I've my third next week and if I fail I'm going back until I get it :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Try an automatic? I dont see why youre going in for these tests if you dont feel ready, you havent had that many hours so im betting you dont feel confident enough. Id personally have lessons until I feel comfortable and then book the test, youll end up having more lessons then you probably need to but its better then just handing over £60 for a test for you to fail.
Original post by hypercaine.
Try an automatic? I dont see why youre going in for these tests if you dont feel ready, you havent had that many hours so im betting you dont feel confident enough. Id personally have lessons until I feel comfortable and then book the test, youll end up having more lessons then you probably need to but its better then just handing over £60 for a test for you to fail.

Bearing in mind the reasons for failing, none of which were related to the car being a manual, I'm not sure how using an automatic would help...:confused:
Original post by Donna1991
Hello guys I've just failed my second driving test yesterday and I'm really down about it. First test I got 1 major and very few minors my major was hesitating to turn right on a busy road stopping traffic so I knew I failed. Second time I was more confident but failed with 3 majors and 4 minors which is worse then the first so I'm abit worried I'm getting worse I got 3 majors 1 for doing 40 in a 60mph road , one for not turning the steering wheel quick enough when pulling out and one for being in the left lane on roundabout when turning right. Oh and I also failed because I thought a car had flashed me to go but it was just the sun flashed on his lights making me think he was letting me go. As soon as I came out test centre and pulled up on left and didn't turn enough to come out I knew I had failed. I've lost my confidence know as my intsructer says I'm a great driver I don't no if it was my nerves or me not concentrating but I don't no whether to give up. I had a strict women both times aswell could tell she didn't like me. Help !!!! What should I do

First, don't panic! Sometimes a second fail is worse than the first - I don't understand why, it just happens like that. Persevere and you will pass. Your instructor though needs to work harder on your behalf to get you through test. A couple of the errors you have made are relatively simple and should not occur so your instructor needs to do more to make sure you don't commit those kinds of errors. As a thought, how much does your instructor say to you about your driving when you are on a lesson? She shouldn't be saying much more than giving you directions...
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Bearing in mind the reasons for failing, none of which were related to the car being a manual, I'm not sure how using an automatic would help...:confused:

One less thing to think about. I thought you should know that its easier to pass in an automatic and those who cant pass in a manual should try automatic?...:confused:
Its probably irrelevant but did it annoy anyone else that in the third driving test they switch minor and major?:colondollar:
Don't give up. You're putting loads of pressure on yourself. I thought I'd failed my test cause I set the windscreen wipers going mental and it wasn't raining. So I just relaxed and drove cause I thought sod it, just get it done. But I managed to pass.

Just keep practising and don't put pressure on yourself to pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending