Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the Tour de France the greatest sporting accomplishment?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Is it?
    Yes
    30.00%
    No
    70.00%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18934242

In the midst of this Bradley Wiggins media circlejerk, I'd like to raise this question seeing as Sir Chris Hoy obviously thinks that bike riding topples every other sporting achievement.

Personally I think thats way over the top. Something like winning all 4 tennis grand slams would rank as a much better achievement. With the tour de france as with long distance running or sprinting, theres just little skill involved. Its simply a test of who's the fittest and strongest, whereas in game sport like tennis or football, its not just about raw power, theres the mental and tactical side. The tour de france lacks depth imo.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not necessarily agreeing with Chris Hoy but if you think that the Tour has no mental or tactical side you really don't know enough to be commenting.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a white male coming first in the 100m sprint at the Olympics would be the greatest achievement.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous. Different disciplines require different skills, tactics and physical demands, there won't ever a consensus on what is the 'greatest sporting accomplishment' as peoples' views will be influenced by their pre-existing bias.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes and I think people saying no need to say what they think is the greatest accomplishment as I cannot think of any comparable event with a competitive field so deep in quality.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrandmaster)
    I'm not necessarily agreeing with Chris Hoy but if you think that the Tour has no mental or tactical side you really don't know enough to be commenting.
    Of course everything has a mental and tactical side, even including 10 second 100m sprints, but games sports like tennis are have far a greater depth in this. I'm not sure how anyone can argue against this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're just discrediting yourself by describing the media attention paid to an already popular Olympic champion from a nation without a great road racing tradition winning cycling's most difficult and prestigious race as a 'circlejerk'. Even if you don't enjoy cycling, if you aren't able to appreciate why other people are praising this achievement then it strikes me that you lack the perspective to discuss the relative merits of different sports.

I think the idea of a "greatest sporting achievement" isn't realistic because the sporting world is so diverse and so many people put in huge efforts and achieve incredible things in pursuits that can't really be compared. But I can see why Hoy, as a cyclist, would describe it as such, and I feel like trying to belittle the media interest in Wiggins just because cycling isn't your favourite sport is just petty.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say necessarily agree with it being the greatest sporting achievement without some serious thought because there are so many factors to consider. However, as has already been said it is incredibly niave to believe professional road cycling involves no tactics; it is a highly tactical sport and is quite unique in the sheer number of differing mental games going on within the sport, with riders all having various different roles and goals.

It is certainly to be considered as one of the greatest achievements; to be able to ride at the speeds they consistently ride at, over three weeks with only two rest days, oh yeah and the small task of riding up mountains in the Pyrenees and the Alps, that takes some serious levels of fitness, stamina and determination. Far more than any footballer or tennis player requires.

I'm so chuffed for Wiggo and team Sky. It's great to have a British champion, a British one-two on the podium in Paris and not before time either! I have been a fan of the Tour de France for around fifteen years, I used to enjoy watching the likes of Lance Armstrong, Marco Pantani and Jan Ulrich battle it out but back then, the only British rider to get behind was David Millar whom obviously was never a contender for the general classification. It is about time this great sporting event gains the recognition it deserves, here within the UK.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18934242[/url]

In the midst of this Bradley Wiggins media circlejerk, I'd like to raise this question seeing as Sir Chris Hoy obviously thinks that bike riding topples every other sporting achievement.

Personally I think thats way over the top. Something like winning all 4 tennis grand slams would rank as a much better achievement. With the tour de france as with long distance running or sprinting, theres just little skill involved. Its simply a test of who's the fittest and strongest, whereas in game sport like tennis or football, its not just about raw power, theres the mental and tactical side. The tour de france lacks depth imo.
    The tactics in the Tour de France are incredibly clever and deep - maybe you need to watch it more?

It's several competitions in one, and they all influence and affect each other.

And if you think being able to cycle 200 odd kilometres a day for 3 weeks isn't a great sporting achievement then I don't know what is!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Greatest? No
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to tell really given how dominant the Sky team have been overall...whilst he's proved he is the best rider (thanks to his time trialling), he never really got tested in the mountains (which again is testament to his team mates).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)ella)
    The tactics in the Tour de France are incredibly clever and deep - maybe you need to watch it more?

It's several competitions in one, and they all influence and affect each other.

And if you think being able to cycle 200 odd kilometres a day for 3 weeks isn't a great sporting achievement then I don't know what is!
    Compared to other sports, the skill and tactics are nowhere near as deep and sophistiated. Theres a reason why cycling as well as running sports have a reputation with doping, and thats because raw power alone is almost solely the determining factor between winning and losing. How often have you seen drugs offences in football or tennis? Virtually zero because athletes in those sports know that being successful is a whole lot more than just being the fittest and strongest so its not worth even bothering going on the juice.

and I don't think I said the tour de france isn't a great sporting acheivement :confused:, its just not the greatest
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would say it is a pretty big achievement but I can't say for sure it is the greatest. I mean you have to go through 20 ish stages, and through steep hills, time trials, flats as well and at the end have the lowest time, so it is very difficult. For me, I think individually sailing around the world would be up there for the greatest achievement.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    You're just discrediting yourself by describing the media attention paid to an already popular Olympic champion from a nation without a great road racing tradition winning cycling's most difficult and prestigious race as a 'circlejerk'. Even if you don't enjoy cycling, if you aren't able to appreciate why other people are praising this achievement then it strikes me that you lack the perspective to discuss the relative merits of different sports.

I think the idea of a "greatest sporting achievement" isn't realistic because the sporting world is so diverse and so many people put in huge efforts and achieve incredible things in pursuits that can't really be compared. But I can see why Hoy, as a cyclist, would describe it as such, and I feel like trying to belittle the media interest in Wiggins just because cycling isn't your favourite sport is just petty.
    I can describe it however I want, just like how you've interpreted that I'm somehow 'discrediting' myself. Oh well don't hesistate, let the blind hate from your anger flow as freely as possible
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can describe it however I want, just like how you've interpreted that I'm somehow 'discrediting' myself. Oh well don't hesistate, let the blind hate from your anger flow as freely as possible
    Very mature.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Compared to other sports, the skill and tactics are nowhere near as deep and sophistiated. Theres a reason why cycling as well as running sports have a reputation with doping, and thats because raw power alone is almost solely the determining factor between winning and losing. How often have you seen drugs offences in football or tennis? Virtually zero because athletes in those sports know that being successful is a whole lot more than just being the fittest and strongest so its not worth even bothering going on the juice.

and I don't think I said the tour de france isn't a great sporting acheivement :confused:, its just not the greatest
    The fact that the history of the sport has sadly been plagued with doping on a large scale could be argued to be due to the sport being just so damn grueling. Cycling over 2000 miles in three weeks, averaging about 25mph and climbing up some of the highest and steepest peaks in Europe is a little tougher than running around a pitch for ninety minutes a week. This doesnt justify the fact such large numbers have cheated however!
    And just to reinforce previous statements, pro road cycling is riddled with tactics and if you took notice of the sport, you would realise there is far more to it than just who can cross the line first!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like the tour de france. One of the few sporting events that goes so over the top in terms of its difficulty just to ensure that it can't be won by a fluke.

I think Lance Armstrong's achievement of winning it 6 consecutive times is the best sporting achievement of all time, its just an impossible feat.

Until i see someone pull of the Grand Slam in the golf majors i don't think anything will come close to sheer dominance of a sport.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Physically yes. Overall no.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary Barlow)
    I like the tour de france. One of the few sporting events that goes so over the top in terms of its difficulty just to ensure that it can't be won by a fluke.

I think Lance Armstrong's achievement of winning it 6 consecutive times is the best sporting achievement of all time, its just an impossible feat.

Until i see someone pull of the Grand Slam in the golf majors i don't think anything will come close to sheer dominance of a sport.
    Totally agree with your point, in my opinion it is the most gruelling sporting contest in the world and Armstrong is a true living legend!
    He won it 7 consecutive times however (1999-2005).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely the greatest feat. in sport has to be restricted to individual sports...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 2, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.