The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sockpirate
What job are you doing? I'm currently living in Downing, working on a summer school - it's so brilliant! :biggrin:

Working as a tester in a software company :smile: Really?! Where are you living? I'm in one of the gonville houses currently - we all get dumped into the worst houses out of NPR :frown:
Reply 9061
Well, this is suitably awkward - an example of a poor (fake) economics interview candidate as posted on YouTube.

(though I don't think the questions are quite representative of a real economics interview and I'm not sure the candidate is either...)
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Working as a tester in a software company :smile: Really?! Where are you living? I'm in one of the gonville houses currently - we all get dumped into the worst houses out of NPR :frown:

I'm in J staircase :smile: the rooms are pretty big, although no mirrors or sinks which is a bit of a pain! The food's good though, especially as it's all free for me :biggrin:
Original post by lp386
Well, this is suitably awkward - an example of a poor (fake) economics interview candidate as posted on YouTube.

(though I don't think the questions are quite representative of a real economics interview and I'm not sure the candidate is either...)

Oh dear.
Original post by Sockpirate
I'm in J staircase :smile: the rooms are pretty big, although no mirrors or sinks which is a bit of a pain! The food's good though, especially as it's all free for me :biggrin:

Yeah, J is the cheapest fresher staircase (afaik). Some of the rooms are big and nice though :biggrin: I stayed there for my interview... oh so long ago.

The food is always awesome :wink: better than Pembroke? :tongue: If you have a spare evening and are bored, feel free to come over :smile:
Suddenly have the urge to go away somewhere for the weekend. Any suggestions? I'm in Saarbruecken, Germany.
Reply 9066
Every time I see the 'Are my grades good enough?' thread I now think of this song.
Reply 9067
Original post by Melz0r
Every time I see the 'Are my grades good enough?' thread I now think of this song.

I think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI-gYmxoCRQ
Original post by Melz0r

Can definitely see a parody working. :yep: :tongue:
Original post by Melz0r

I think of this:
Reply 9070
Original post by alex_hk90
Can definitely see a parody working. :yep: :tongue:

I'll get working on it as my first step onto the ladder of YouTube stardom.
Reply 9071
Original post by lp386

Gosh, that is painful. Though to be honest the interviewer is almost as bad. Haha, quite a funny video really. :biggrin:
Reply 9072
I don't know if any of you guys ever followed my blog, but in case anyone did I thought I'd let you know I've decided to resuscitate it after a 2 year absence - http://createnewtab.blogspot.com.
My dreadlocks are out!
Original post by Melz0r
I don't know if any of you guys ever followed my blog, but in case anyone did I thought I'd let you know I've decided to resuscitate it after a 2 year absence - http://createnewtab.blogspot.com.

I'll take a gander...
Original post by Topaz_eyes

Where'd you end up again? I've always wondered what being a full-time tester is like - I get annoyed enough testing my own code, let alone everyone elses :tongue:.

At work I'm rigging up a Kinect with hand-tracking and gesture recognition to act as a remote-control mouse for a wishy-washy psychology experiment :tongue:.
Reply 9075
Original post by Melz0r

Like muchly. It seems like it could be a really good admissions tool, rather like the "day in the life of a Cambridge student" stuff you see in the alternative prospectus - just showing people that Cambridge students are normal human beings who don't spend all their time working and were scared about their interviews is probably enough to quell some fears. We had a group of ex-students from my school who'd been to Oxbridge come back and discuss what it was like, and in doing so they managed to put off half the people who came to the meeting by being all science students, saying they didn't really go out much and generally being quite geeky.

A few more people became interested later, but after the offers came through, it was the people who were initially interested that got in. I worry that with role models that were slightly easier to empathise with, our school would probably have done better.

Doubly worrying is that since my year (so two application cycles), my school has got a grand total of one person in - whose sister had been screwed over by Queens' for MML the year before. She had an A* equivalent from a previous year, and two grades that were one UMS mark off an A*, but Queens' apparently didn't have the space... I worry that when we've gone back to talk to students, we've been sufficiently weird that we've put the good candidates off.

Also, I'm very much in support of people blogging - I'm currently trying to write 40,000 words for charity in 25 days and it's nearly killing me, so it's good to see other people blogging as well!

(P.S. If I'd been given a nickname like that, had it stick for so long and being reminded of it in ways that in my mind, kind of constitute bullying, I'd be seriously off. Clearly the people concerned are inconsiderate [another word I probably can't use because of the swear filter]. (That said, I may need to re-examine my own attitudes given the amount of stick one of my friends is getting, mostly from me, for the hours she spends on Skype with her boyfriend every night.))
Yeh sorry about the toast thing. Some people are just pathetic.
Original post by SunderX
Where'd you end up again? I've always wondered what being a full-time tester is like - I get annoyed enough testing my own code, let alone everyone elses :tongue:.

At work I'm rigging up a Kinect with hand-tracking and gesture recognition to act as a remote-control mouse for a wishy-washy psychology experiment :tongue:.

PM'd for the sake of relative anonymity... I know at least two of the other interns are on TSR (if not CamChat)!
Original post by lp386
Like muchly. It seems like it could be a really good admissions tool, rather like the "day in the life of a Cambridge student" stuff you see in the alternative prospectus - just showing people that Cambridge students are normal human beings who don't spend all their time working and were scared about their interviews is probably enough to quell some fears. We had a group of ex-students from my school who'd been to Oxbridge come back and discuss what it was like, and in doing so they managed to put off half the people who came to the meeting by being all science students, saying they didn't really go out much and generally being quite geeky.

Just putting it out there, but while most of us don't spend all their time working, most of us are, in one way or another, pretty weird geeky people. I mean, in some respects I suspect being weird and geeky is a pretty good marker for enjoying your time in Cambridge. Isn't Gilbert and Sullivan our biggest society? don't thousands of us pay more than £100 to watch people debate? At Liverpool, for example, they struggle to get people to go for free! Don't all our clubs close at about three? Let's not fight it, there's enough universities for the normals ; )
Original post by Mr Dactyl
Just putting it out there, but while most of us don't spend all their time working, most of us are, in one way or another, pretty weird geeky people. I mean, in some respects I suspect being weird and geeky is a pretty good marker for enjoying your time in Cambridge. Isn't Gilbert and Sullivan our biggest society? don't thousands of us pay more than £100 to watch people debate? At Liverpool, for example, they struggle to get people to go for free! Don't all our clubs close at about three? Let's not fight it, there's enough universities for the normals ; )

Maybe that's because the speakers they bring in are interesting/famous/thought-provoking and it is arguably worth the money? :tongue:

I agree, we are pretty geeky people. I would never have posted some of the stuff I put on Facebook if some of the audience weren't Cambridge students.

Latest