The Student Room Group

Why are horses used in riots?

Scroll to see replies

I'd assumed police horses are also trained quite well so the most easily spooked horses aren't led directly into a riot, causing a large scale police rodeo challenge to break out
Reply 41
Original post by Drewski
Now now, let's not have you all jockeying around for the best horse-related gag. The thread will just gallop away from you otherwise.

Mate, that's awful. You've had a mare.
Original post by Drewski
Now now, let's not have you all jockeying around for the best horse-related gag. The thread will just gallop away from you otherwise.

:awesome:

Those are terrible. You Mustang out with the wrong people.
Reply 43
Original post by glelin96
The horse would be a risk because it bucked, something it isn't supposed to do.

I don't think you see the difference between and aggressive attack and an accident.
Original post by oddsox
Police horses are freaking massive scary things. You wouldn't win one of those in a fight...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Actually, you could quite happily win one in a fight. I don't suppose rules and regulations allow horse gambling, but I really can't see why not.
Reply 45
Original post by Dorito
Mate, that's awful. You've had a mare.

Original post by thunder_chunky
Those are terrible. You Mustang out with the wrong people.

Kudos.

Hay, for an off the hoof remark I don't think it was too bad. After all, with punning you've just got to get straight back into the saddle.
Reply 46
Original post by robo donkey
I'd assumed police horses are also trained quite well so the most easily spooked horses aren't led directly into a riot, causing a large scale police rodeo challenge to break out

A friend that I met through horses parents breed horses. They have had a lifetime in the horse trade, their parents did it also. I rode a horse that they were selling as a quality, pedigree lined, extremely well trained horse, I got onto it, as it wasn't my horse I was uncomfortable, the horse picked up on this and bucked. I need a lot of time to gain trust in a horse, if I had gained trust in the horse I would have been fine and so would the horse as a result.

I don't know how the police force stand with treating their horses, I don't know if each person that performs crowd control has their own horse they can ride or not.
Original post by Drewski
Kudos.

Hay, for an off the hoof remark I don't think it was too bad. After all, with punning you've just got to get straight back into the saddle.

I'm glad. These puns really stirrup a lot of emotion in me.
Reply 48
I'm glad. These puns really stirrup a lot of emotion in me.

And they spur me on to greatness!
Reply 49
Easier to hit stragglers with a baton from a horse than from a van.
Original post by Drewski
And they spur me on to greatness!

Just be careful what you eat on your journey. You don't want to get the trotts.
Reply 51
Original post by Hopple
I don't think you see the difference between and aggressive attack and an accident.

Yes I do, but it is entirely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the animal did it intentionally or not, they caused harm to a human. This means that they may do it in the future. You go and get the best trained dog and make an action as though you are going to hit it, chase it around the house and back it into a corner, then see what it does.
I don't know the law but I would assume that if the horse was spooked, it would be put out of commission and might as a result be put down? I don't know, I'm just putting something forward. There was a case I saw on the news a while ago where a police sniffer dog was doing it's job looking for drugs, the drug user who's house was being searched, grabbed the dog, the dog got spooked, bit and as a result of this got put down. How is this fair?

when i horse spooks it tends to buck,rear or bolt, I actually ride an ex police horse he was de-commisioned due to sporadic lameness, he is an absolute gentleman, huge (17.2 hands) and when he has finished his breakfast in the morning passes his feed bucket back over the fence to you.
i hate horses being used by police, armed forces and being from by blackpool am sick of seeing them on the landoes with pissed up hen and stag dos scaring them.
there is no need to put the horses in distress when there are alternative methods, i don't dispute that horses are working animals and (most) horses love to please their rider but putting them in danger is not a necessity
Reply 53
Original post by Manitude
Easier to hit stragglers with a baton from a horse than from a van.

Thank you. There is one reason that I truly can't dispute.

+1 for you it is sir. :biggrin:
Reply 54
Just be careful what you eat on your journey. You don't want to get the trotts.

Please, it can be taken at a canter. Unlike some I'm not wearing blinkers and actually embrace that final furlong.
Reply 55
Horses are massive ****ers.
Original post by Drewski
Please, it can be taken at a canter. Unlike some I'm not wearing blinkers and actually embrace that final furlong.

So you aren't a neigh-sayer then?
Reply 57
Original post by Loucornall
when i horse spooks it tends to buck,rear or bolt, I actually ride an ex police horse he was de-commisioned due to sporadic lameness, he is an absolute gentleman, huge (17.2 hands) and when he has finished his breakfast in the morning passes his feed bucket back over the fence to you.
i hate horses being used by police, armed forces and being from by blackpool am sick of seeing them on the landoes with pissed up hen and stag dos scaring them.
there is no need to put the horses in distress when there are alternative methods, i don't dispute that horses are working animals and (most) horses love to please their rider but putting them in danger is not a necessity

What was his case that caused him to be decommissioned?

I entirely agree with you. We have had many animals that have been re-homed due to 'aggression' which has been entirely down to either the way the animal was used or the way it was treated. I do however not know how the law stands with horses, if you could enlighten me, that would be great.
Original post by pedmond
Horses are massive ****ers.

yes but the bigger they are the more gentle they tend to be, its the ponies you need to watch for, little ****s lol
Reply 59
Yes I do, but it is entirely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the animal did it intentionally or not, they caused harm to a human. This means that they may do it in the future. You go and get the best trained dog and make an action as though you are going to hit it, chase it around the house and back it into a corner, then see what it does.

It does matter. And a sniffer dog is just meant to sniff, not bite.

Quick Reply

Latest