Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Interview question - What is your biggest weakness

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I've got an interview coming up and i'm dreading the question

"What is your biggest weakness", as I never know how to answer it!

THis is what I've thought of:

1) I'm a perfectionist - this is much too corny and they've probably heard it thousands of times.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What kind of job is it for?

if it's an ICT technician job you don't want to say technology.

if it's an accountancy job, you don't want to say statistics.

if it's a vetinary job, then you don't want to say, a fear of animals.

if it's in a shop/restaurant, you don't want to say that you hate people.

it needs to be vaguely relevant to the job, but not so relevant/ major that you couldn't do your job properly.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do mention, just make sure you explain what you do to overcome it...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If its a shop job or something similar, they rarely ask that question. They're usually more interested in how flexible you can be. Say something honest - perfectionist is too much of a cliche. Something like "I tend to be shy at first, but when I've worked with a team a few times, I easily get into the spirit of the workplace" - equally as cheesy, but honest!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    What kind of job is it for?
    its a graduate marketing role
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    My biggest weakness is impatience but I'll spin it around and say it makes me eager to get things accomplished.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think A LOT of people say that they are perfectionists :/
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totell)
    I think A LOT of people say that they are perfectionists :/
    ask a cliched question, get a cliched answer.

The trick imo is to give them something not too bad and show that you've recognised it as a problem and can work around it. the 'points' are for explaining the workaround in a positive way rather than having an original weakness.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The teachers at my newly built sixth form all got asked this question in their interviews I think - some of them told us what they said, or said something in the first few lessons that made it obvious how they would have answered it.

Answers included; learning names of students, ICT (especially the smart boards), fear of heights (this is from a teacher whose class is on the 3rd floor. There's also huge windows in the 6th form, so you can see most of the town. Plus it's all open plan so you can see right down to the ground floor, which isn't helped by the balcony walls not being very high and some of them being made from glass!)

Plus my biology teacher is the most unorganised person ever. Her desk was covered in papers and folders - so thats probably what she said.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    The teachers at my newly built sixth form all got asked this question in their interviews I think - some of them told us what they said, or said something in the first few lessons that made it obvious how they would have answered it.

Answers included; learning names of students, ICT (especially the smart boards), fear of heights (this is from a teacher whose class is on the 3rd floor. There's also huge windows in the 6th form, so you can see most of the town. Plus it's all open plan so you can see right down to the ground floor, which isn't helped by the balcony walls not being very high and some of them being made from glass!)

Plus my biology teacher is the most unorganised person ever. Her desk was covered in papers and folders - so thats probably what she said.
    I don't see how they could have got the job if they mentioned those weaknesses at all ...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious.sam)
    I don't see how they could have got the job if they mentioned those weaknesses at all ...
    Well they did! My geography teacher (the rubbish ICT person) just got students in the class who were good at IT to help him if something went wrong. Somehow, he never had to get an actual techy to help!

Well I know that there was only one candidate each for chemistry and biology. Unless you're completely useless, you've got the job. Plus the sixth form was moving from high schools to a new college. Any teacher whose timetable was at least 50% sixth form, automatically got an interview.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    They asked me this at my PGCE interview. I said schoolgirls :sexface:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    "One day, probably in about a years time, I will hand in my notice, having been bored out of my mind at work for about 11 months and three weeks."
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    My biggest weakness is impatience but I'll spin it around and say it makes me eager to get things accomplished.
    I say this too
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

1) I'm a perfectionist - this is much too corny and they've probably heard it thousands of times.
    Being corny is the best thing you can say about that answer. It is almost the worst answer you can give to an employer as it tells him, for instance, that you don't recognise when a task has been completed well enough for the purpose; that you waste time on trivial and useless improvements; and that are often unavailable to make proper progress on other important tasks. Perfectionism is a serious fault.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    My biggest weakness is wanting to punch the interviewer when they ask stupid questions.

So something in-between impatience and aggression.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I've got an interview coming up and i'm dreading the question

"What is your biggest weakness", as I never know how to answer it!

Be honest with them. They will have heard the "strength in weakness' clothing" answer a thousand times. Do you care too much what others think of you? Are you often too submissive? Everyone has weaknesses, they just want to know you're aware of yours.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of the scene in the original Office:

"Now, where it asks for your strengths, you've put 'accounts'."

"Yep."

"But you're an accountant."

"Yeah."

"Right.... and for weaknesses, you've put 'eczema'?"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember being asked this once. I hadn't expected it at all and I ended up coming out with "a fear of moths, especially when they're big and white" (this is true though, I become a huge wuss if a moth comes flapping near me). Fortunately the interviewer found it amusing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.