The Student Room Group

Manual gearbox problems

When I first had my car (2 years ago), the gear changes were smooth and the gearbox worked fine. Recently, I've noticed that 2nd gear feels a bit rough, and changing either to or from 2nd is considerably more difficult than the rest of the gears.

I got my mum to drive my car a few weeks ago, and she said the same, so it's not just that I'm not changing gear properly or anything.

Does anyone know any possible cause for this, and how expensive it would be to fix?
Reply 1
Have you bothered to check the fluid in the clutch slave cylinder or is it a cable clutch?
Reply 2
Sounds like the synchros possibly gone?
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
Have you bothered to check the fluid in the clutch slave cylinder or is it a cable clutch?

Clutch fluid is full.

Original post by M4LLY
Sounds like the synchros possibly gone?

Am I correct in thinking that this will be very expensive to repair?
Reply 4
Original post by NewFolder

Am I correct in thinking that this will be very expensive to repair?

Depends, what car is it?
Reply 5
Original post by M4LLY
Depends, what car is it?

Mitsubishi Lancer. The transmission is a F5M21.
Reply 6
Original post by NewFolder
Mitsubishi Lancer. The transmission is a F5M21.

Fair enough, its probably gonna set you back at least several hundred quid as the gearbox will need to be taken apart in order for the syncro to be fixed.
Reply 7
Before condeming the gearbox, check your engine and gearbox mounts.
If one has sheared it'll make gear selection difficult.
Reply 8
Top up the gear box oil
Reply 9
Original post by JC.

And the linkages that connect the gearstick to the gearbox.
Reply 10
Original post by Camoxide
Top up the gear box oil

Original post by KCLeblanc
And the linkages that connect the gearstick to the gearbox.

Original post by JC.

Thanks for these suggestions, I'll check these first as it may be worth fixing if its a simple fix.

Original post by M4LLY
Fair enough, its probably gonna set you back at least several hundred quid as the gearbox will need to be taken apart in order for the syncro to be fixed.

If it is the syncromesh, I won't bother fixing it. It's still perfectly driveable atm, it's just a bit annoying. If it ever gets to the point where 2nd gear stops working completely, I'd either just use 3rd instead, or get a new car. I got this car really cheap, it's been a great car for what I paid for it really.

EDIT: Why the hell was this negged?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Funnly enough my gears started playing up today. I got REALLY bad. I can hardly change gear now.

It's because my clutch got really lose today for some reason and now the clutch is just about biting when the clutch pedal is fully depressed T_T
Reply 12
Original post by Camoxide
Funnly enough my gears started playing up today. I got REALLY bad. I can hardly change gear now.

It's because my clutch got really lose today for some reason and now the clutch is just about biting when the clutch pedal is fully depressed T_T

So as before... checked the fluid level in the master cylinder?
Reply 13
Original post by JC.
So as before... checked the fluid level in the master cylinder?

Fixed it.

Tightened the cable. Rubber ring had broken off and caused the cable to slack.
Reply 14
Hi can some please help me, I am beside myself and have spent too much money with any resolve for my Hyundai Getz. My car was giving issues with the clutch. Especially when hot and in use the gears would it take and then the clutch pedal would be too hard. I had a new clutch kit fitted after a week the pressure went down in the pedals. I took it back to the mechanic who then said its the hydraulics, so had a new master cylinder fitted. All this time there was still a violent vibration when taking off and releasing on the clutch pedal or dropping down gears. One month later clutch issues again this time refusing to take gear and could not be driven. Sent it to another mechanic he put another new clutch kit and did a clutch o|he and put new plunges. Gears still don't feel right. Two weeks later whilst driving the car and came to a stop street I can feel like the car wants to switch off. I put it in neutral and it was giving violent jerks and wants to switch off. Pedal still had pressure but gears wear being sticky. I pumped the clutch pedal just to get a gear selection to keep it mobile. Now I cannot drive it because it I know it will switch off. All the mechanics that I took it too do not seem to understand what I am saying and just do a temporary fix and rip me off. Please can someone share some insight, I would be most grateful. The last mechanic that worked on it said it sounds like it needs a new slave cylinder. Why would it need that if I just had both cyclinders changed a few months ago

Quick Reply

Latest