Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help to translate my CV into Chinese.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A potential employer would like to see my CV in Chinese.

I can speak some Chinese but not so much that I could effectively translate business terminology etc.

Anyone know a place in the Leicester area?

Or maybe someone on here could help me with it? - I'd be willing to pay of course!

Thanks.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do they want to see it in Chinese? o.O

Also do you mean Mandarin or Cantonese?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because the recipient is in China and their English is limited.

And I mean Mandarin Chinese.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use google translater!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A7d8i6l)
    Use google translater!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    What you mean: I really want to work in this industry because it's a field I've always been interested in and now I have the relevant knowledge and experience to work in a foreign country.

Translator in different language: I wanted work job interest now I had experience country foreign.

Translators have virtually no concept of tenses, connectives, homphones etc, as well as being prone to completely missing out words.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you might find someone in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=592319
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can't translate your CV yourself, are you sure this is the job for you?

Assuming speaking Chinese is a big part of the job. I might be jumping to conclusions.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler Durden.)
    And I mean Mandarin Chinese.
    I think you just mean (written) Chinese. Cantonese and Mandarin are both spoken languages, and while Mandarin is very close to written Chinese, it isn't quite right to call the written language Mandarin Chinese (as Chinese people who only speak other dialects are also able to read it, with a different pronunciation to the Mandarin).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyteryder)
    What you mean: I really want to work in this industry because it's a field I've always been interested in and now I have the relevant knowledge and experience to work in a foreign country.

Translator in different language: I wanted work job interest now I had experience country foreign.

Translators have virtually no concept of tenses, connectives, homphones etc, as well as being prone to completely missing out words.
    There you go, all translated:

我很想在这个行业工作, 因为从很久以我就对(in sert name of field)感兴趣. 并且现在我也有了在国 工作的相关的知识和经 .

Edit: meh, not all of the characters were able to be recognized.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWittierName)

If you got that from a translator, put the Chinese back in and translate it back to English and see what you get out...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you got that from a translator, put the Chinese back in and translate it back to English and see what you get out...
    That's not from the translator. It was translated by me so it should be pretty faithful in meaning to what you originally wrote.

Putting it into google translate it becomes:
    I would like to work in this industry, because from a long time to me are interested in (insert name of field) and now I have the relevant knowledge and experience of working abroad.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's not from the translator. It was translated by me so it should be pretty faithful in meaning to what you originally wrote.

Putting it into google translate it becomes:
    I would like to work in this industry, because from a long time to me are interested in (insert name of field) and now I have the relevant knowledge and experience of working abroad.
    1.) That's not what I originally wrote; it has a completely different meaning.

2.) I was saying that online translators are rubbish, not real life people translators like yourself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1.) That's not what I originally wrote; it has a completely different meaning.

2.) I was saying that online translators are rubbish, not real life people translators like yourself.
    It's not what you wrote because it's been translated back into English by a computer translator, which as you said are rubbish. Presumably in Chinese it's more accurate than that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) You sure it's not what you wrote? How would you translate that sentence?

2) Yeah i get that translators are awful; i experienced the pain of using translators during my GCSE's lol
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:

Edit: meh, not all of the characters were able to be recognized.
    It's a problem with TSR, but if you quote the post you can see all the characters.

As a beginner in Chinese, I would translate what you've written as:
    "I really want to work in this industry, because from a long time ago I've been interested in (insert name of field). Furthermore, now I also have knowledge and experience related to working abroad."
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I think you just mean (written) Chinese. Cantonese and Mandarin are both spoken languages, and while Mandarin is very close to written Chinese, it isn't quite right to call the written language Mandarin Chinese (as Chinese people who only speak other dialects are also able to read it, with a different pronunciation to the Mandarin).
    I've learnt something new today! Cheers!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take your CV down to your local chinese restaurant
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yakuzakitty)
    If you can't translate your CV yourself, are you sure this is the job for you?

Assuming speaking Chinese is a big part of the job. I might be jumping to conclusions.
    你他妈的! Writing, especially translating Chinese is much harder than speaking it (at least for me) and I can speak MUCH more than I can write.

But yes you could be right, it could be that said company needs someone who is fluent in written and spoken. That's what I gotta find out.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler Durden.)
    你他妈的! Writing, especially translating Chinese is much harder than speaking it (at least for me) and I can speak MUCH more than I can write.

But yes you could be right, it could be that said company needs someone who is fluent in written and spoken. That's what I gotta find out.
    Fair enough!

Though if they need somebody who's fluent, it sounds like you may not be quite proficient enough for the job. Regardless, I wish you luck with your application!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    use Babylon

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.