The Student Room Group

Students- How much do you live on a week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Food for a week about £25, two bottles of small vodka £7, club entry for week £6 so £38 in a normal week sorted :smile:
Original post by swarla9
Maintenance loans are crap! A lot of my friends loans don't even cover their accommodation let alone have some left over :angry: Why doesn't everyone get the same since we just have to pay it back anyways!

Yeah, it annoys me that it's based on my parent's income. Sure, we might get more money than others - but my parents still have to pay a mortgage, bills etc. It doesn't mean they have lots of money to spare for me...
12 quid a week...oh dear. Some of you better start looking for jobs.

Girls - strip clubs hire students...obv not to everyone's taste, but you'll earn more in a night then others will in a week. So if you can stomach the idea its worth a shot.

Dont hate on me :-P
Reply 43
I have £60/week, of which I usually spend £50. I try to save some every week so I can do nice things like go on holiday/get drunk at the end of term/year.
Original post by slacker07906
I have just learnt I am going to have just £55 per week to live on per week! I literally don't know how I am going to do it.

How much do you guys live on every week?

Walk to uni and do no eat takeaways.

Also get some kind of crap job.
Original post by Sir Master of Bate
12 quid a week...oh dear. Some of you better start looking for jobs.

Girls - strip clubs hire students...obv not to everyone's taste, but you'll earn more in a night then others will in a week. So if you can stomach the idea its worth a shot.

Dont hate on me :-P

Yeah, I just wish I could get my timetable earlier so I had an idea of what jobs I'd be able to get... And I'll be staying away from the strip clubs! XD
Reply 46
This year I will have £15 a week left over from my loan for the first instalment and £77 a week during the second instalment. That is assuming I don't end up further into my overdraft during the summer (hopefully I will actually be paying some off).

so either I will be actually paying for the first instalments living on my overdraft then paying it back with the second one, or if I find a job so I can actually afford to live in the first one I will live like a king during the second.

last year I spent about £50 a week
Reply 47
Every few months I buy most of my food in bulk like pasta, sauces, baked beans, chopped tomatoes, sweetcorn, tuna etc also cartons of juice, toilet and kitchen rolls. Then weekly I just spend about £10 on fresh fruit and veg ^^
Original post by Jadelyndsey
Haha, you are totally the male version of me!!!

A couple days ago, I posted a few things in a similar thread relating to food and expenses at uni etc (Note, I am not a student, yet haha)

Weekly cost:
Small loaf wholemeal bread= £0.70
Garlic=£0.50
3X small tin tuna=£2.20
Pack of onions=£1.00
1 tin chopped tomatoes=£0.35
Bag of mozzarella cheese=£0.85
Large pack of eggs=£1.50
Small pack baking potatoes=£0.70
Warburtons square wraps=£1.50
Salad pack=£2.00
Stir fry ingredients=£4.00
Chicken breast (500g)=£3.25
WW chicken tikka jar=£1.00
Milk=£2.00
Pack of mushrooms=£1.00
7 bananas=£1
Couple poundland extras, i.e. crisps, sweets,=£2

==£26.75

Then there's the monthly cost:
Shampoo & conditioner=£2.00
3X9 pack of loo rolls=£6.00
1X toothepaste=£1
4X pack of rice=£0.89
1kg pasta=£1.79
Mayonnaise=£1.89
Frozen peas=£1.90
Sugar=£1.00
750g shreddies, 24 weetabix Cereal=£2.00
200g tomato pure= £0.49
12 bacon rashers=£3
Pack of ham (and freeze portions)= £1
500g lean mince= £4
Tomato sauce=£1
Tea bags=£1
==£29

Which equals £34ish per week when averaged out. This list of stuff feeds me extremely liberal and generous portions, snacks, and leftovers as well as providing a healthy diet considering I normally eat chips with every meal right now :smile: Oh, if you're looking for ideas btw, this "shopping list" provides breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for a week with a bit left on the side if you were to make the below items:

1. 2X wholemeal slices of bread,2 tbspn low fat mayo, small can tuna, bit of salad =Tuna sandwich
2. 100g wholemeal pasta, 2 tbspn low fat mayo, small can tuna, 2 tbspn frozen peas, garlic, dried herbs=Tuna pasta
3. 125g lean mince, ½ diced onion, garlic, 1 cal spray, ½ tin chopped tomatoes, 22.5g tomato puree, dried herbs, water, served with with 100g whole meal pasta=Healthy spag bol
4. Bolognaise(half of spagbol), cheese (40g), 1 jacket potato, and handful of salad=Filled Jacket (with bolognaise and cheese)
5. 1 Warburtons wrap, 40g cheese, 50g chicken, few mushrooms, 22.5g tomato puree=Warburtons wrap pizza
6. 1 Warburtons wrap, small 50g can of tuna, 2tbspn low fat mayo, handful of salad=Warburtons tuna salad wrap
7. 100g chicken breast, ½ pack stir fry sauce, ½ pack egg noodles, ½ pack stir fry veg =Stir fry
8. 100g chicken breast, ½ pack stir fry sauce, ½ pack egg noodles, ½ pack stir fry veg =Stir fry
9. 100g chicken breast, ½ jar chicken tikka (WW), ½ bag boil in bag rice=Chicken tikka with rice
10. 2 rashers of bacon, 1 egg (fried), 1 egg (scrambled), 1 slice of toast, handful of mushrooms=English brekkie
11. ½ bag boil in bag rice, rasher of bacon, ½ onion, 40g peas, 50g chicken, soy sauce, ½ tin tomatoes =Whip round the fridge rice,
12. 2 eggs, 3 slices of bread=Dippy soldiers
13. 100g chicken breast, ½ jar chicken tikka (ww), large handful of salad, warburtons wrap=Chicken tikka salad sandwich
14. 2 slices of bread, 8 slices of ham, and 45g of cheese=Cheese & ham toastie

Obviously, the mince lasts me a while in this respect... When I make spag bol one day, I make like 2 portions and use the next portion on a spud over the next few days with a bit of cheese and salad maybe. :smile:

About the milk thing, I normally have about 1.3l of milk during the week on breakfasts alone (cereal and scrambled egg). I also have milk in cups of tea by the bucket load, as well as a glass of milk with biscuits every few days at night depending on how peckish I am so a big 2L bottle of skimmed milk would do me for a week. But, as you say, milk can start to turn after about 5 so I think buying two smaller bottles every 3 days or so would be the best option for me.

Good luck with uni, and good luck with finishing this post :wink:

Wow it's good to know i'm not alone then! :smile: Obviously I think I have put quite a lot on my list, but I do have a big appetite because I do quite a bit of sport.

Your list looks very good though! I just couldn't survive on 9p noodles as meals, that's too bland for me, and I can actually cook so I would like to improve and maybe try to impress with my cooking at uni :biggrin:

And I think I agree with you about milk, it might just be better to restock during the week I guess.. phew that was a long post to read haha :wink: Good luck to you as well!
Original post by swarla9
Maintenance loans are crap! A lot of my friends loans don't even cover their accommodation let alone have some left over :angry: Why doesn't everyone get the same since we just have to pay it back anyways!

My loan is the minimum (£3,560 or whatever it is) yet my accommodation is £4,300! I come from a large family and my parents are well off, but because there are more of us they can't afford to give me lots of money to help, it's not fair!
Original post by kiai8
Yeah same with me :frown: we will survive! :biggrin:

I hope so! How much is your accommodation costing?

Original post by Jadelyndsey
I would start saving now if I were you! And contact student finance to see if you could be entitled to a bit more, or a partial grant etc. However, I know my cousin had £25 per week and she managed, but she had a part time job too. Wish everyone could be rich, be so much easier!

I should start saving but there's so much stuff I need to buy too. I've spent ages every day looking for a part-time job since my last exam. I must have applied to at least 80 places by now and I only got 1 interview (who were not interested. :frown:)
Reply 51
Original post by robthefool
My loan is the minimum (£3,560 or whatever it is) yet my accommodation is £4,300! I come from a large family and my parents are well off, but because there are more of us they can't afford to give me lots of money to help, it's not fair!

I understand where your coming from! Just because your parents earn more doesn't mean they have more to give than others! The likely-hood is that they will have a higher standard of living than those who earn less such as a bigger house which equals larger mortgage, higher taxation and larger bills etc! Add into the possibility of siblings they need to look after they will never have much to give! Completely unfair! :mad:
Reply 52
Original post by robthefool
I'm just wondering, with a £30 - £40 budget on food, what type of meals should I be looking at? I will buy value products most of the time, but things like cereal and a few things I just have to have the branded option.

Meals wise I'm a bit short.. things like mince I will be buying the big value packets and freezing it so that it lasts about 4 meals, but I can't think of many cheap meals? I don't like fish..

So far:
800g value mince - £2.40
500g value penne - £0.30
500g value spaghetti - £0.24
2x 500g mature cheddar - 2 for £5.50 (will probably get through at least 250g per week)
500g tesco bolognaise pasta sauce jar -£0.95
2x frozen pepperoni pizza - £4.00
large pack value chicken breast fillets - £6.00
value bread - £0.47
value butter - £1.19 (will last 2 weeks)
2x garlic cloves - £0.60
2x chicken kiev - £2.00
2x value chopped tomatoes - £0.60
tesco malt wheats - £1.08
4 pints semi skimmed milk - £1.18
1x chips - £1.35
3x onions - £0.51
1x tesco mixed pepper stir fry - £1.00
1x pepper - £0.78
1x tesco fajita meal kit - £2.00 (will last at least 2 meals)
1x value lasagne ready made meal - £0.88
value smoked bacon - £1.50
2x tesco tomato soup - £1.18
1x heinz beans - £0.70

= £36.41 (oh, and i'll probably spend about another £3 to £5 on cakes, buscuits, crisps, sweets etc)

Some of the stuff like cheese and chicken will last me 2 weeks most likely, so accounting for that, my shopping would cost £5.75 less per week , which brings it to about £31. How do people survive on £20? I know that the chicken, cheese and pizza are alone worth about £15, but I cannot survive without these three things. I think from that list I can make a lot of meals for dinner and lunch, with leftovers as well, although it does look quite unhealthy.

Also, how much milk do you guys use a week? do you buy one bottle and use it for the whole week or two smaller ones? because I think it usually goes off within about 5 days

I find it a lot cheaper not to buy the kits. You can buy 8 tortilla wraps for £1.20 and then bulk buy spices to add to the chicken or whatever you'll put in it. It's more initially but it means you don't pay out for ages afterwards.

And also, learn when to hit the reduced sections of the local shops - it makes meat and things like that a lot cheaper :smile:
Reply 53
Honestly? £55? I manage to get by on £20 on money I've saved up from a job. I'm in catered so it goes to the maintenance loan, and I try to spend about £10-15 on lunch/breakfast per week. The rest is for random stuff.

The maintenance loan covers nothing; it's immediately engulfed by accommodation, and even then it isn't enough.

Nights out have to be more sober than everybody else, but such is life.
Original post by Emmzaa

Still manage to go out 3 times a week though and have at least 3 healthy, filling meals a day. Skill. :^_^:

Teeeeeeeaccccccccch meeee!! :tongue:

Just finished my third year so relatively experienced I could never afford 3 nights out a week.
Apparently I get £9300 from SF and £3500 from the uni...more than my mum's annual salary :s-smilie: It just seems wrong compared to what everyone else is getting. Seems stupid when some people's loans don't even cover their accommodation. The system is flawed, but I'm not sure how they could improve it?

I'm used to going weeks on very little money, so I doubt I'll even end up spending that much of it.
Reply 56
Original post by mrppaulo
Food for a week about £25, two bottles of small vodka £7, club entry for week £6 so £38 in a normal week sorted :smile:

What about transport? Or do you just walk? Toiletries? Don't be dirty!
Reply 57
Original post by slacker07906
I have just learnt I am going to have just £55 per week to live on per week! I literally don't know how I am going to do it.

How much do you guys live on every week?

55 pounds for food only? Or is it 55 pounds for food, toiletries, transport?
Reply 58
Original post by Emmzaa
I have £30 to live on a week. (Sometimes £40 if I take £10 out of my savings.) How do you guys get so much?! Ugh.

Still manage to go out 3 times a week though and have at least 3 healthy, filling meals a day. Skill. :^_^:

Filling? Go ut 3 times per week? How much (or rather how less) do you drink? Also females have free entries to most clubs because of the meat market theory. I don't want to be disrespectful but you are female. Most females are focused on diets and don't really eat that much. I would like to know how much calories do you ingest per day. The minimum is around 1500-1800 kcal for females. :smile:
Reply 59
I was living on £89/week last year, but this year coming I'll be living on £35/week due to expensive flats compared to the cheap(er) halls.

With £35 I'm barely going to be able to have a (fun/expansive) social life.

Quick Reply

Latest