The Student Room Group

This handwash kills 99.9% of bacteria

I've always wondered, what is the 0.1% it doesn't kill?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the super bacteria that you really should be scared of
I remember seeing this on QI, they said most of them do kill 100% of bacteria but since it's virtually impossible to prove it they can't claim it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
They only say 99.9% instead of 100% for legal reasons.
Original post by boo_x
the super bacteria that you really should be scared of

bacterium1.jpg

taa daaaa
Reply 5
I would imagine it's the genetic mutants which can survive that particular type of disinfectant.
Reply 6
Legal reasons.

You shouldn't use them too much though, over using them can cause resistance, similar to antibiotic medicines. Alcohol gel is good enough.
Basically they say 99.9% because there is unknown bacteria if that makes any sense? The hand wash kills all KNOWN bacteria, but there are still hundreds if not thousands of undiscovered bacteria.
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
The fact that someone took the time to create something as weird as that creeps me out more than the bacteria itself. I mean, look at it!

... Ah, it's ****ing weird!!!

:rofl: It's the super bug don hahaha
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
The fact that someone took the time to create something as weird as that creeps me out more than the bacteria itself. I mean, look at it!

... Ah, it's ****ing weird!!!

It's gonna get you....in your sleep
Reply 10
Original post by hrbrox
I remember seeing this on QI, they said most of them do kill 100% of bacteria but since it's virtually impossible to prove it they can't claim it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yup, this. Sometimes bacteria are so small that you cannot see them/need expensive machinery to prove.
A common misconception is that it refers to the number of species it is effective against when in fact it refers to the number of bacteria it effectively kills (E.g. if there is 1,000 bacteria cells, it will kill 999 within 30 seconds. That is the exact criteria.
Original post by ShafiqJ
Basically they say 99.9% because there is unknown bacteria if that makes any sense? The hand wash kills all KNOWN bacteria, but there are still hundreds if not thousands of undiscovered bacteria.

If this is true how do they know the hand wash will kill 99.9%?

And if they're just guessing that percentage isn't it illegal?
Reply 13
Imagine taking a broom and sweeping a floor covered in dust. Effectively all of the dust will be swept away, aside from a few particles that escape the brush. In normal reality, your floor is clean, but technically, there are still bits of dust left. Its the same principle, only with the death of bacteria- almost all of them are killed bar a tiny proportion, and 99.9% is the easiest way of saying "almost all of it".
Reply 14
They can't prove it and therefore are open to legal attacks. The full explanation was on last week's episode of QI I think.
Yeah, the legal reasons. Plus in the adverts they'll usually show the product 'killing germs' then leave a couple left over just to show that it doesn't get them all.

I think the funniest one is the Dettol automatic hand wash - It claims to be more hygienic or what ever. Yeah, after you've wiped your arse, turned on the taps, washed your hands (without touching the dirty soap) you can touch the taps again just to get any potential bacteria back onto your hands. Smart move. I prefer to live more dangerously and hope for the best.
Original post by Strawberrycayk
bacterium1.jpg

taa daaaa

It looks like an angry used tampon.
Original post by snowyowl
It looks like an angry used tampon.

:eek: it actually does. hahahaa! handwashes have nothing over the angry tampon o.O
Original post by SillyEddy
Yeah, the legal reasons. Plus in the adverts they'll usually show the product 'killing germs' then leave a couple left over just to show that it doesn't get them all.

I think the funniest one is the Dettol automatic hand wash - It claims to be more hygienic or what ever. Yeah, after you've wiped your arse, turned on the taps, washed your hands (without touching the dirty soap) you can touch the taps again just to get any potential bacteria back onto your hands. Smart move. I prefer to live more dangerously and hope for the best.

It may surprise you to know this, but you can actually get taps that come on automatically. :eek3:
Original post by TheSownRose
It may surprise you to know this, but you can actually get taps that come on automatically. :eek3:

I saw an engineering diagram for a pedal system which wipes your arse too!

Together, we can remove all germs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending