The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

:lolwut: That kind of face.
I want to study Spanish -I usually get "are you Spanish then?" or my cousin once said "wow, you'll be in a class full of hot Spanish girls!"

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by emilie18
:lolwut: That kind of face.

What do you study?
Original post by Dee Leigh
What do you study?

I don't study it yet, I'm off to uni in September, to do International Business with French and Spanish. People always look surprised/confused, I genuinely do not know why! Hmm :rolleyes:
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Cardiff University. :biggrin: Where are you planning on going?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360

I'm for 2013 entry. I chose lancaster and thats the main one i wanna go to.
When I tell people I'm going to study economics, they always say

"gonna sort out this financial crisis soon, eh?!"

Reply 1666
Original post by xsweetcherrypiex
When I tell people I'm going to study economics, they always say

"gonna sort out this financial crisis soon, eh?!"

Looool, exact same with me!

Originally Posted by Holby_fanatic<br />
Cardiff University. :biggrin: Where are you planning on going?<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I'm for 2013 entry. I chose lancaster and thats the main one i wanna go to.

Oh I applied to Lancaster for Biomedical Science! It's a lovely place and a great course. :smile: I fell over at my interview and sprained my ankle though. -.-

Reply 1668
I study Business and Management. Always get a sort of awkward response of; 'oh really, that's erm good' *awkward pause*.

Such a misunderstood degree, when will people learn that the AND in the middle means something and that it doesn't lead to running a blooming local retail store...

Sigh, should have done Economics... but there was me thinking I'd choose something which interests me lol.
'oh like Sheldon from the big bang theory'

I study theoretical physics
Reply 1670
me: I'm studying pharmacy!
Other guy: Is that so you can work in a chemist, I'll come to you for my paracetamol!!!
me: :unimpressed:

Graduated in masters of pharmacy and i'm a chemist who puts pill in a paper bag...fml
I study Linguistics with Japanese. General responses are usually 'Oh wow! You must be really smart!' or 'Oooooo! What made you choose that?'. Nobody usually even mentions that I study linguistics for 75% of my degree -_-;;; lol. Worst response I probably got was 'CHING CHONG CHONG CHI'.
Lol are they stupid? Maths is applicable in everything.

Last year I got:

Person: So what are you studying.

Me: Business Computer Systems.

Person: Oh....thats....nice *awkwardness*

To be fair it was an insanely boring thing to choose. I've switched now to Digital Media Development so yeah :smile:
Reply 1673
'So what do you want to do with that?'
Art student :rolleyes:
I study computer science and am one of the few girls on my course - when im out in clubs meeting people I dread the moment this conversation comes up because quite often a guy hears 'oh i study computer science' and leaves :| considering i dress like any other girl, wear just as much make up, do my hair to the best of my ability, wear ridiculous high heels - and the fact they were interested BEFORE i told them that is just ridiculous! I now offer that info right at the start then point them to the door!
Original post by lauren.mae31
I study computer science and am one of the few girls on my course - when im out in clubs meeting people I dread the moment this conversation comes up because quite often a guy hears 'oh i study computer science' and leaves :| considering i dress like any other girl, wear just as much make up, do my hair to the best of my ability, wear ridiculous high heels - and the fact they were interested BEFORE i told them that is just ridiculous! I now offer that info right at the start then point them to the door!

That's not nice. Maybe those guys are mysogynists.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Me: Biomedical Science

Them: Really I'd have thought you'd be doing music

Me: Why's that

Them: The long hair and such
Original post by hannahchan
.... sorry to correct you but Ross did have a badge which said "geology rocks" on it.. so technically.. they might have been talking about that. :wink:

No you're right. That always got brought up as well.
Has been even worse describing engineering geology:

"Those are just two words put together. Did you just make that degree up"?

Person:"Ah ok...."?
*silence*
Me: "You have no idea what that is do you"?
Person: "Nope".

"You're manufacturing rocks"? (To be fair that is something we do, as ridiculous as it sounds)

Has just gotten to the point where I make stuff up about terraforming new planets and trying to create real life rock-pokémon now.
Hahaha, I always used to use the earthquake and volcanoes line too. Sounds cool and there is no need for anymore questions. Can then lead onto movies with ridiculous geological inaccuracies like The Core or the fast lava flow in Dante's Peak that clearly erupted from a composite volcano.
Though did get one teacher at school say:

"What's the point in studying that !? There aren't any volcanoes or earthquakes in the UK".
Original post by Jacobdatz
Me: Biomedical Science

Them: Really I'd have thought you'd be doing music

Me: Why's that

Them: The long hair and such

LOL people are absurd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending