The Student Room Group

Girls underestimating their size.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by kate1212
I went out recently and a friend of mine congratulated me on my weight loss and said 'So what are you now? Like a size 8!?'. I'm not at all, I'm a size 12 (10 in a forgiving shop). This set me wondering as to why she had underestimated my size so much and I realised (after some other stuff she said) that it's because she underestimates her own size. She squeezes herself into a ten when she's more like a 12/14 and that's why she assumed I must be so much smaller.
I have many other friends that do the same and I just don't get it. If you're a size 14 who buys a size 14 you'll look lovely, if you're a size 14 who buys a size 10 you'll probably look 10x bigger than you are and look horrible.
I know it doesn't affect me as such but it does annoy me. Nobody has to know your size. Why do it?!

All sizes are underestimated. I do some dressmaking which uses the original measurements for UK sizes (10,12 etc) as in, what they actually were (and still are) in dress making. Typically it's around 2 sizes different. Sometimes 3. I wear a 14/16 but sew an 18/20.

Basically, shops would sew what was traditionally an 18 or 20, and then just knock two sizes off to make customers feel better about themselves.

It's all just a number anyway. Buy what fits you. Aim to look good in the mirror, not on paper with numbers and measurements.
Reply 101
Original post by Jessica20
Size tags in shops are a waste of time, i just try different ones on and get whatever fits most comfortable.
Ive known comfortable bra's of 30D, 32B/C/D, 34B/C, so its why i say im a 32C as i think thats my average according to average shop sizes.
Im 5ft6" and find im most comfortable in size 8/10 dresses, sometimes i get into a size 6, yet some clothes particularly some suspender belts are a tight size 10.

I know what you mean about bra sizes - but that is especially dependant on the style of the bra. I like to think I'm fairly good at telling when I've got a good fitting bra (I have been to a lot of fittings...) and even the fittings people said 'right, you are a 32D' but decided that the 32DD fitted better. Right now I'm wearing my comfiest bra which was fitted for me, at a 30DD, but another one I've got which is one of my favourites is a 32C.

I'm guilty of both really. My weight is very up and down at the moment, so every time I go shopping I'm not really sure what size to buy. H&M for example, I know do very small sizes (or at least, I've tried on plenty of things which fit from the waist down, but seem to assume that I have zero breasts...) so whenever I go there I pick up a 10 or even a 12 depending on the style. Whereas Matalan, I know I'm fairly safe with an 8. But again, the style might vary so I'll go for a 10. Although as I say, I've been wrong for all of them at times. Hence why I never buy anything without trying it on first.
Original post by llessur123
What do you mean? If she was more "broad" than you then you wouldn't be the same size. A size 14 has measurements of around 38'31'41' regardless of height.

You can't argue this, it's fact. Obviously a tall girl may just look generally large and a small girl would look dumpy at this size, but they will have the same measurements, so will be the same size.

I get your thinking, but you have to remember that people don't have the exact measurements of the ideal or sample figure of that clothing size. That is to say that someone of 37'31'38 might wear a 14, but so might someone of 38'27'41'. It depends what needs to fit best in one particular garment. If I played by your prescriptive rules I would have to wear three different garments at once - a 16 on my bust, a 12 on my waist and a 14 in my hips. It all depends on garments.

So you can see how I would be a different shape and size to someone whose measurements are technically a 14 on bust,waist AND hips, or a 12 on bust, 14 on waist and 12 on hips...but we could all be wearing a 14.
I've never understood this, if you buy clothes that are too small you just look bigger.
I just buy clothes that fit, I'm not that bothered about what the label says :smile:
It's hard to figure out your actual size nowadays, I'm a size 8 in some stores, a 10 in others and sometimes i end up being a size 12. I have to try on all three sizes just to buy something that fits right -.- it's so long :frown:

Think the best thing to do is go for the bigger size if in doubt because you can always wear a belt or make it smaller yourself.
Original post by every cloud
I get your thinking, but you have to remember that people don't have the exact measurements of the ideal or sample figure of that clothing size. That is to say that someone of 37'31'38 might wear a 14, but so might someone of 38'27'41'. It depends what needs to fit best in one particular garment. If I played by your prescriptive rules I would have to wear three different garments at once - a 16 on my bust, a 12 on my waist and a 14 in my hips. It all depends on garments.

So you can see how I would be a different shape and size to someone whose measurements are technically a 14 on bust,waist AND hips, or a 12 on bust, 14 on waist and 12 on hips...but we could all be wearing a 14.

Measurements can only diverge a few inches away until the clothes just don't fit. My point was that two size 14s are going to be pretty much the same size regardless of height. I'm not really talking about how clothing sizes fit, I'm just trying to prove a point that height doesn't come into the equation.
Reply 106
I agree with this. I range in sizes 12-18 depending on the shop, usually 16 bottom and 14 top. That might to some be big but I'd rather that than kid myself I fit smaller sizes and look ridiculous. People need to be honest with themselves as it looks horrible to see people wearing too tight clothes.
Thank God that male clothes come in general XS, S, M, L, XL. I don't think I've ever been ashamed of my cloth size, I'd wear anything from M - XL as long as it fitted
Ok I'll hold my hands up and be brutally honest. I am definately that person.
I tell myself I'm not but I know I am. It's definately a confidence thing.
I am a size 8 normally, but over the last few months have gone upto a size 10 and I went shopping a few weeks ago and just refused to buy things I liked because they weren't a size 8. And I know that sounds really pathetic but I just couldn't accept it, I was always a gym freak and had a really nice figure but I had been ill for 2 months and it's taken me ages to build back up my strength to go to the gym, and when I do go I struggle because I haven't got the fitness I did, so I get down and then eat loads when I get home lol. Anyway i was just desperate for some new jeans because I can't fit into mine now. Had a really long chat with my boyfriend who reassured me that I still look great and said if I'm really that down about it he'll help me at the gym. But it was a really big thing for me to admit because I looked good because I just lived in the gym and as soon as I stopped I put weight on. It can be something that is really hard to accept in some women and although I do feel better and have accepted it at least I can start going back to the gym and getting back into my old jeans rather then just denying it and looking stupid in my size 8's lol.
Original post by kate1212
I went out recently and a friend of mine congratulated me on my weight loss and said 'So what are you now? Like a size 8!?'. I'm not at all, I'm a size 12 (10 in a forgiving shop). This set me wondering as to why she had underestimated my size so much and I realised (after some other stuff she said) that it's because she underestimates her own size. She squeezes herself into a ten when she's more like a 12/14 and that's why she assumed I must be so much smaller.
I have many other friends that do the same and I just don't get it. If you're a size 14 who buys a size 14 you'll look lovely, if you're a size 14 who buys a size 10 you'll probably look 10x bigger than you are and look horrible.
I know it doesn't affect me as such but it does annoy me. Nobody has to know your size. Why do it?!

Denial.

If they admit they are a 14 then they will realise they are overweight and then will have to do something about it.
Pretending that they are smaller is far easier.
Height has nothing to do with clothes size. A 6ft size 14 has the same measurements as a 5ft size 14. You wouldn't be any larger than you're size 14 friend if you were also size 14.

EDIT: Could someone please explain why they disagree? This is a fact, there is no argument here.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

It's proportional. An ideal waist measurement for a 6ft girl would be bigger than the ideal waist measurement for a 5ft girl.
I don't know what it's like for girls, but for guys a medium shirt can fit anything from a 13 year old to a fully grown male.

Prime offenders here are Top Man, where I need XL or XXL, compared with Next where I need Medium (or sometimes Large)

Could it be that your friend just shops somewhere with a funny idea of sizes?
Original post by Daniellejo.
It's proportional. An ideal waist measurement for a 6ft girl would be bigger than the ideal waist measurement for a 5ft girl.

A large waistline is bad regardless of height. I know the WTH ratio exists but its on a rather small scale, nowhere near enough to actually influence clothes size.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 113
A large waistline is bad regardless of height. I know the WTH ratio exists but its on a rather small scale, nowhere near enough to actually influence clothes size.

It may not influence clothes size, x waistline is x size, but it's really not on a small scale at all
Reply 114
When I was a size 8/10 I went shopping for holiday clothes and bought this lovely dress thinking it was a size 12, and it fitted like a dream, it was slightly loose, but in Morocco that IS the dream part... it was a size 22.
And recently I bought another New Look dress that was a size 20, and almost too small on my bust.. I'm a 12 (normally), so I'd hate to think about what this dress would have actually looked like on a size 20!

I have the problem with my body of having too great a variation in my measurements: 40: 25 :38, that's three different sizes + I have thighs that fit into a size bigger than my hips!
Well right now I'm wearing a size 6 top from River Island, size 10 jeans from Topshop and size 12 pants from Asda. Work that one out!
The only people who care about what your clothes label says are the ones who really need to get their own life rather than obsessing over what other people's sizes are! Just wear clothes that fit, for heavens' sake - I don't care what size you are because I'm not going to see your clothes label, but if you're an 18 wearing size 14 jeans, it's going to be hard to miss that muffin top :yuck: whether you're a size 6 or 26, you're doing yourself a massive favour if you realize that no-one important cares what size you are, and it'll be better for you in the long run if you wear clothes that fit rather than ones with a smaller number on a label no-one's going to see!
Original post by megan.c
It may not influence clothes size, x waistline is x size, but it's really not on a small scale at all

It is on a small scale. If you go to a GP with a 35 inch waist they are going to say you're overweight regardless of height. If it doesn't affect clothes size why are you asking me? I'm talking about clothing as I've mentioned many times before.
Reply 118
It is on a small scale. If you go to a GP with a 35 inch waist they are going to say you're overweight regardless of height. If it doesn't affect clothes size why are you asking me? I'm talking about clothing as I've mentioned many times before.

I honestly can't understand what you're talking about so I'm just going to leave it
Original post by megan.c
I honestly can't understand what you're talking about so I'm just going to leave it

That's unfortunate, it's pretty black and white. Height doesn't have anything to do with your clothing size. Do you understand that?

Quick Reply

Latest