The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

To all you re-applicants for 25th - Good Luck you can do it!! I was rejected for my rubbish lesson last year and got an offer this year. Will keep everything crossed for you :biggrin:
Reply 761
Original post by laura.a.c265
To all you re-applicants for 25th - Good Luck you can do it!! I was rejected for my rubbish lesson last year and got an offer this year. Will keep everything crossed for you :biggrin:

Hey laura! Can I ask what it was that made your lesson your downfall? I was mainly rejected for my interview skills so don't want to fail on the lesson this time haha! Congratulations for getting through!!! Must feel so amazing :smile:
Original post by student28
Hey laura! Can I ask what it was that made your lesson your downfall? I was mainly rejected for my interview skills so don't want to fail on the lesson this time haha! Congratulations for getting through!!! Must feel so amazing :smile:

It was just generally rubbish lol! I'm in the RAF and I was away on exercise just before my TF AC so I didn't really plan it, it wasn't interactive and the nerves just got the better of me. Basically I was just much better prepared this time. If it was only your interview skills last time you should breeze it this year having been through it already. Good Luck!

P.S...It still hasn't sunk in yet :biggrin:
Original post by Nayworries
Hey! I have a similar experience to you reject/BM/25th! Good luck! Catch you for pint after if you fancy!

Original post by student28
Hey guys! I'm also in a similar position, got rejected for English last year so applying again this year :smile: My A/C is also on the 25th so will see you there! I'm just preparing my lesson plan right now... have you found this year's lesson title is harder than last year? Good luck!! xxx

Oh brilliant :smile: I'll see you both tomorrow, I'll be the blonde girl in the grey dress with a nametag saying 'Sophie' :P And yes, I definitely found this year's lesson harder - particularly as for both you had to find the text first and work from there! I'm doing the history lesson instead. At least we all know what to expect this year. A much-needed pint afterwards could be a great shout btw!
Reply 764
Original post by misseckleburg
Oh brilliant :smile: I'll see you both tomorrow, I'll be the blonde girl in the grey dress with a nametag saying 'Sophie' :P And yes, I definitely found this year's lesson harder - particularly as for both you had to find the text first and work from there! I'm doing the history lesson instead. At least we all know what to expect this year. A much-needed pint afterwards could be a great shout btw!

Ahh, I'll definitely look out for you then! I'll be the Indian girl with a maroon dress and a name tag saying 'Monal' :smile:

Ooh you're lucky that you can choose a different title, my only strength is English so I've just gone with my instincts and tried to make an appropriate lesson! And you're right, it makes such a difference knowing what to expect. Can't believe its tomorrow, I'm excited and nervous!! See you there! x
Reply 765
Hi,

I had my AC on the 19th July and haven't heard back yet. Was wondering if anyone was on the same day and has heard either way! x
Original post by LCN
Hi,

I had my AC on the 19th July and haven't heard back yet. Was wondering if anyone was on the same day and has heard either way! x

Hey, I got a offer today for 2014 entry, to do history. I was the blonde guy in the blue suit.
Hi all,
I am just completing my application form now and am really stumped by the resilience question. The only really good example I can think of is when I was ill during year 10 and had to spend time in hospital and miss time off school. As far as skills I developed from it goes I'm not really sure, I've always been a hard worker and was in top sets so while it wasn't pleasant being ill I didn't struggle to catch up again. Also this was quite a long time ago now (I was 14/15 then and am now 23). I'm not even sure if this is the sort of thing that the answer is looking for :/

Does anyone have any thoughts about this lol?? Would illness be a good example? Especially as it didn't set me back too much, or should I stay away from personal stuff? Sorry for the massive ramble, this question has been going around my head for about a week now :smile:
Original post by Georgia gEoRg
Hi all,
I am just completing my application form now and am really stumped by the resilience question. The only really good example I can think of is when I was ill during year 10 and had to spend time in hospital and miss time off school. As far as skills I developed from it goes I'm not really sure, I've always been a hard worker and was in top sets so while it wasn't pleasant being ill I didn't struggle to catch up again. Also this was quite a long time ago now (I was 14/15 then and am now 23). I'm not even sure if this is the sort of thing that the answer is looking for :

Does anyone have any thoughts about this lol?? Would illness be a good example? Especially as it didn't set me back too much, or should I stay away from personal stuff? Sorry for the massive ramble, this question has been going around my head for about a week now :smile:

Illness is fine to mention but they do encourage examples from the last three years so I would personally not include something from that long ago. I really struggled with that Q too. My advice would be keep it recent and try to include non-academic examples if you can. Have you had a call from a recruiter yet? they are really useful!! Personal life questions are fine. I used an example from where a child was injured under my supervision and i had to put in place measures to stop it happening again...hope this helps!
Reply 769
I have a question that's off topic...

I have passed the Assessment Centre and am in contact with a Graduate Contact in the West Midlands office. I was just wondering whether I should expect to be based in the West Midlands?

Has anyone been through the whole process and been in touch with a Graduate Contact who was in say the North East, but ended up being placed in London? Or does your Graduate Contact's location reflect where your placement will be?

Thanks for any answers in advance.
Original post by dougkurr
I have a question that's off topic...

I have passed the Assessment Centre and am in contact with a Graduate Contact in the West Midlands office. I was just wondering whether I should expect to be based in the West Midlands?

Has anyone been through the whole process and been in touch with a Graduate Contact who was in say the North East, but ended up being placed in London? Or does your Graduate Contact's location reflect where your placement will be?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

I got an offer today as well, from the office in the West Midlands and was wondering the same. They don't allocate regions until you have completed a personal information form. From there they match your skills and experiences to a school in one of the regions so I dont think the email has any bearing on where you will be placed.

Congrats on your offer btw, were you at the AC yesterday?

I am now obviously freaking out about the SKA as my contact told me I only had one shot at it!! Dont want to fail at this stage....anyone else doing/has done a History SKA???
....just researched this some more and yes it is purely based on your Personal Information Form that you fill in later in the year. They find out about your background and match you to schools that need those skills. So, take me for example, I am teaching History but because I (will soon) have an MA in International Relations they might ask me to teach politics or human geography in a school that is also short in these areas.

Or say for instance you were a keen footballer and they had just installed a new football pitch at the school they might look to you to go to that school and help start a football team!

So I wouldnt read too much into the regional office being in the midlands
Reply 772
Original post by Flajamafloffl
Hey, I got a offer today for 2014 entry, to do history. I was the blonde guy in the blue suit.

I got an offer on Tuesday too yayyyy

A bit worried about the SKA though, really stumped by the 16+ qualifications question, just have no idea what it means...
Reply 773
I attended that AC last Thursday and got an offer on the Friday for Primary. I've not received my SKA yet - anyone else in the same boat?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jane64
I attended that AC last Thursday and got an offer on the Friday for Primary. I've not received my SKA yet - anyone else in the same boat?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App[/QUOT

Don't worry. I went to the first AC of 2012 and my SKA for primary took 18 days to come through :smile:
Original post by Jane64

Got my SKA yesterday, got an offer on Tuesday.
Original post by LCN
I got an offer on Tuesday too yayyyy

A bit worried about the SKA though, really stumped by the 16+ qualifications question, just have no idea what it means...

Yeah same, plus I'm massively thrown by anything to do with A levels cause I did IB anyway.
Original post by Flajamafloffl
Got my SKA yesterday, got an offer on Tuesday.

When I called and queried it I was told it entirely depends on which regional provider it comes from and the delay with mine was because they were heavily involved with the SI. So I guess the Op's may be coming from a different Uni. Good Luck with it anyway, I'm submitting mine today!!
Reply 778
Original post by laura.a.c265
When I called and queried it I was told it entirely depends on which regional provider it comes from and the delay with mine was because they were heavily involved with the SI. So I guess the Op's may be coming from a different Uni. Good Luck with it anyway, I'm submitting mine today!!

Thanks Laura, I'll give it a while longer before I panic!

Hi all, I spoke with a recruiter a few days ago and apparently during the Olympic a lot (if not all) of the ACs will be held in Birmingham.

How quickly after submitting your application did you hear whether or not you're invited to attend the AC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending