The Student Room Group

Best way to cope with results day..

Like you, I'm waiting for results day; the 23rd of August .. And it's taking forever..! But I was just wondering how you plan to get your results.. ASAP ? With your friends? Save opening them till your home? Cuz I really don't know how to go about opening them; do I ask my mum to do it..? Do I open it with my friends..? Do I save it till I'm I'm the car or at home? Ahhh! Haha (: thanks xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just open them. Nothing is going to change what's in the envelope at the end of the day.
Reply 2
Best way to cope? Just keep in mind that in a few months you really won't care what you got in your GCSE's (so long as you got enough to do a levels, and the basic requirements for whatever university you want to go to).
Reply 3
Yeh true .. It's just the getting the grades for 6thform that will be the tricky bit..!

well when i opened my GCSE results last year i took my mum with me (for moral support) and I didnt open it with my freinds
because if you dont do as well as you expect or your friends do better than you, not only might you feel slightly jealous but you might get some pitying looks from other class mates which, trust me, makes you feel worse.

so personally i wouldnt open my results with my friends, but mum/dad can be a good person to take along with you; to comfort you if you dont do aswell and to have someone be proud of you if youve done well (and in both circumstances hugs from your mum or dad can make you feel loads better) :smile:

oh and GCSE's are going to look like a dream compared to your a levels....not trying to scare you but just telling you the cold hard truth

ps good luck for your results!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
it's just gcse - don't think about it too much. they're not worth it lol. good luck though!!! hope it goes well :smile:
Reply 6
Haha, thanks guys :smile: fingers crossed for the As and Bs I need.. And the couple of A*s I want! I think I'll bring good ol' mum along for moral support! :tongue: xx

Reply 7
Hi guys I finished sixth form this year but I can give a piece of advice for any results day. In general, it's best not to open your results in front of anyone (I didn't). Although I did well, some others didn't, and it can be quite challenging to see bad results and then look up and see a few hopeful faces (of your teachers etc).
Reply 8
Just two tips-

1) Go there alone to collect the results. Go early. This is to avoid your friends who will be curious.

2) Have a place where you can return to without being seen. This place, known as the 'crying zone' can be really useful to get some time to yourself before you face your curious peers/wrath of your parents.
What I always do is:
Get my mum to drop me up to school so I don't have to face the walk up to results.
Open them as soon as I can
Wait til I'm totally composed with what I got before calling my mum (who has gone home)
Walk home by myself so I can get used to whatever was in the envelope.
you seem like a nervous wreck.
Grow up.
Reply 11
Although I'm currently waiting for my A2 results, I've had 2 previous results days so I thought I'd give my take :P
I went with my friends for both GCSE and AS results, the same will happen this year. It's more of an exciting buzz to go with your friends cause you all give off the same nervous energy! As you're expecting As and Bs I dont think you have much to worry about; uni's only ever request Cs in GCSE subjects (from my experience) so I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck! The wait is the worst part, honestly. Think how you'll feel when you're in my position waiting to see if you've gotten into university on your A2 grades! :P
Reply 12
Do well in your exams.
Original post by MePlusYouXx
Like you, I'm waiting for results day; the 23rd of August .. And it's taking forever..! But I was just wondering how you plan to get your results.. ASAP ? With your friends? Save opening them till your home? Cuz I really don't know how to go about opening them; do I ask my mum to do it..? Do I open it with my friends..? Do I save it till I'm I'm the car or at home? Ahhh! Haha (: thanks xx

I'd strongly suggest you get them asap and just open them at school. Most people will be doing so.

When we got our GCSE's and A-levels, anyone who waited until they got home was either seen as snooty (they thought their grades were so good they didn't want to make anyone else feel bad) or weak (they couldn't stand to look whilst other people were having success, or thought those with good grades would be too insensitive).

Either way, it means you can't celebrate or commiserate with your friends, and you'll probably regret that when you open up your stuff alone at home! Most people have a mix of good and bad anyway, so it's good to share both with everyone, it's part of the fun / experience!
Original post by pi=3
Just two tips-

1) Go there alone to collect the results. Go early. This is to avoid your friends who will be curious.

2) Have a place where you can return to without being seen. This place, known as the 'crying zone' can be really useful to get some time to yourself before you face your curious peers/wrath of your parents.

Well do you really need a 'crying zone'?

We just walked off to our own little square metres and opened them, and then steered clear of anyone crying their eyes out :s-smilie:
Reply 15
For me it won't be so overworked. The GCSE results are on the sheet already, set in stone, and I'm just there to look at them, that's all.

So to answer your question, yes, I'll probably open my result in privacy, but it won't be a complicated process deciphering the location/time etc. I'll be spontaneous and think about everything on the day :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
you all get to open your results yourself?! all 3 years of gcse, as and a levels the teachers just read our results out! kind of brutal.
Original post by NR09
Do well in your exams.

but if worst comes to worst here's my solution

38-6.jpg
Reply 18
Thankyou to those who have help/ advice :smile: xx

Reply 19
As negative as it sounds, think about the worst case scenario. If you don't do as well as expected then it won't come as much of a shock but if you do do ( :teehee: ) well then it will be a welcome, much deserved surprise.

Quick Reply

Latest