The Student Room Group

The Opening Ceremony

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I think it should be fun. And it will be BRITISH!

P.S. Most of the 'amazing' Chinese fireworks were done with CGI anyway!

<3 x
Reply 101
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Nope! Whilst most people are feeling the pinch (or far worse, starvation (homelessness on the increase)) we will not see the benefits that these Games will supposedly bring!

Who's 'we'? Because I know I already have...
Original post by Hopple
I don't know about you, but I haven't replayed it once in 4 years.

Same.
£9 Billion- have we even got money like that?

NHS- needs more money. I think it is disgraceful how hospices do not have proper funding. £9 billion could do a lot.

I've seen how first hand the NHS needs more money. I think its disgusting. They cant even use the excuse it will benefit the country because it won't. It'll benefit some of London and thats it. And then the majority of the Olympic Park will become disused and we'll have to pay even more money to pull it down.
Original post by Drewski
Who's 'we'? Because I know I already have...

What benefits have you seen? I and many others have not.
Reply 105
I guess Doctor Who is going to materialise and ring the bell lol.

Why do the British media feel they have to criticise everything??
Original post by insignificant
I've seen how first hand the NHS needs more money. I think its disgusting. They cant even use the excuse it will benefit the country because it won't. It'll benefit some of London and thats it. And then the majority of the Olympic Park will become disused and we'll have to pay even more money to pull it down.

This. Funny that quite a lot of the events- barely half are filled. Don't worry- we have a legacy.

I know. Everyone has seen first hand how badly the NHS is treated. There are people who have to wait years just to get a life saving operation! I met people who have been threatened with homelessness, and actually can't afford food and rely on charity handouts! It is ok cos people like HOPPLE think that the Olympics will help feed the poor in our nation.

It makes me sick. Our priorities are wrong.
I hope PEOPLE LIKE HOPPLE experience for a day what most people have to put up with! Maybe then HOPPLE will understand.

I don't understand why London was awarded the Olympics. As far as I am aware before the Olympics, London was a major international city due to the centralised system in the UK!
(edited 11 years ago)
didnt expect the rural grassy bits in the centre part, looks quite nice :beard:
Reply 108
What benefits have you seen? I and many others have not.

I've seen benefits to my bank balance, as my place of work has upped my hours to cope with the influx of additional tourists and team associates who've appeared in recent months. Tourists who, when asked why they've come to the UK, have all said "to see the Olympics".

And I'm not the only one; my brother works for an event production company and has spent the last 6 months building sets, tools and various things for the Games and cermonies.
Original post by EmilyAl
That may be the case but the only thing exclusively British are the four maypoles, as they're showing cricket, which is a British sport but it's played in all the commonwealth countries and we usually get beaten at it. Also, in New Zealand there's a 50 Sheep:1 Human ratio, so why are we showing 30 of them, when compared to other countries, we don't have that many.

Cricket was started (I believe) in the UK.

And with your logic it means that we can't do anything at the ceremony because people in other parts of the world have the same things... I guess we might as well sit in silence for a couple of hours then (although that wouldn't be unique either!)

As it happens they have made it very British, even though the things shown exist in other parts of the world..
£9 Billion- have we even got money like that?

NHS- needs more money. I think it is disgraceful how hospices do not have proper funding. £9 billion could do a lot.

Exactly what I think! It'll be a nice ceremony, I'm sure, but the money could go to better causes. It's hypocritical in a way. They're telling us to help out by doing all this stuff and to donate all this money to various charities and use it up on this. A few heart surgeries recently had to close, one reason is for the money that the NHS has. No wonder they don't have enough with all this, they should think about their priorities - sports will not do everything.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but it's certainly true that the money could go towards better things. It's sad that there are people loosing lives because healthcare cannot be afforded whilst this is happening. :frown:

On the TV it's just said "maybe one of the richest cities in the world." There are still many more richer that are better off... :rolleyes:
is there a screen in london that i can watch the ceremony
Reply 112
Reply 113
There
Might be one in central park

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Dougieowner
Exactly what I think! It'll be a nice ceremony, I'm sure, but the money could go to better causes. It's hypocritical in a way. They're telling us to help out by doing all this stuff and to donate all this money to various charities and use it up on this. A few heart surgeries recently had to close, one reason is for the money that the NHS has. No wonder they don't have enough with all this, they should think about their priorities - sports will not do everything.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but it's certainly true that the money could go towards better things. It's sad that there are people loosing lives because healthcare cannot be afforded whilst this is happening. :frown:

On the TV it's just said "maybe one of the richest cities in the world." There are still many more richer that are better off... :rolleyes:

I think it is just embarassing that we are telling the World that on one had we are a rich nation, London is a rich city but we can't look after our poor. That is painful!

I know. From Heart Surgeries, Cancer patient to WW2 being forced out of their houses to make way for the Olympic Park to be built.
This. Funny that quite a lot of the events- barely half are filled. Don't worry- we have a legacy.

I know. Everyone has seen first hand how badly the NHS is treated. There are people who have to wait years just to get a life saving operation! I met people who have been threatened with homelessness, and actually can't afford food and rely on charity handouts! It is ok cos people like HOPPLE think that the Olympics will help feed the poor in our nation.

It makes me sick. Our priorities are wrong.
I hope PEOPLE LIKE HOPPLE experience for a day what most people have to put up with! Maybe then HOPPLE will understand.

I don't understand why London was awarded the Olympics. As far as I am aware before the Olympics, London was a major international city due to the centralised system in the UK!

For example, I needed my wisdom tooth out last week. But the NHS waiting list was so long, because NHS dentists in their practices don't carry them out even though they are trained to, I immediately got referred to a private 'dental spa'. Having a consultation, an x ray scan, the operation itself, and a check up I estimate at private costs will cost the NHS £1000. Just to have a tooth out. But if they said to the NHS dentists, OK you can carry out wisdom tooth operations, heres some money to employ another dentist and buy more facilities for another room so you can still cope with normal demand, they wouldnt need to pay such extortionate costs to the private sector.
He was also in Harry Potter which would add to his international fame
Reply 117
What time is it on?
having said that, i probs will end up watching on youtube later on.
Original post by Drewski
I've seen benefits to my bank balance, as my place of work has upped my hours to cope with the influx of additional tourists and team associates who've appeared in recent months. Tourists who, when asked why they've come to the UK, have all said "to see the Olympics".

And I'm not the only one; my brother works for an event production company and has spent the last 6 months building sets, tools and various things for the Games and cermonies.

I can name many more of these fantastic benefits that "we" all have seen:

1) Heart Surgeries can not be funded due to lack of money in the NHS
2) Elderly kicked out of their houses
3) Homeless families
4) Schools closed.
5) Lack of Jobs. We are in a deep recession.
6)Debt as a result of these Olympics

There is a few. You should be proud!
Reply 119
I can name many more of these fantastic benefits that "we" all have seen:

1) Heart Surgeries can not be funded due to lack of money in the NHS
2) Elderly kicked out of their houses
3) Homeless families
4) Schools closed.
5) Lack of Jobs. We are in a deep recession.
6)Debt as a result of these Olympics

There is a few. You should be proud!

Bull. My job's hours have increased. I know plenty of people who've got jobs purely off the back of the Olympics. Indeed, unemployment has fallen.

Quick Reply

Latest