The Student Room Group

Did you enjoy the Olympic Ceremony? (POLL)

Poll

What did you think of the Olympic Ceremony?

I personally loved it.

Scroll to see replies

It was ok. Entertaining in many ways, some embarrassing bits thought. I'd give it 7 out of 10.
I'm glad they didn't try to copy beijing. I thought it was very British though I can see some foreign people not really getting some aspects of it

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Reply 3
Whilst not as spectacular as Beijing, but who could outdo that? I think it portrayed Britain in a positive light, I enjoyed it. Though I can imagine it wasn't as appealing as China's ceremony if you weren't British, they wouldn't have had a clue about what was happening for 80% of it...

The flame/cauldron was done very nicely.

Wasn't very excited for the Olympics to be honest but I'm buzzing now.
Reply 4
I thought it was great overall. Some iffy parts such as everything Trevor Nelson said and Paul McCartney singing Hey Jude...again. But you can't please everybody.
It was good. Much better than I was expecting it to be.

Original post by Callumhamby
I'm glad they didn't try to copy beijing. I thought it was very British though I can see some foreign people not really getting some aspects of it

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

I agree but the same could said for any opening ceremony. They all show off their own country so some of it may not be understood regardless of where it's being held. So the role of the commentator is vital. If a country has a good commentator and a channel that has done some good research then there shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Reply 6
I'll say what i said in the discussion.

Stunning.

Reply 7
I loved it. My favourite bit was with the industrial revolution with the chimneys coming out of the ground, and the olympic cauldron. I must say I also liked the way that there was alot of children, and the way respect was paid to things like the NHS. All in all, it was very cool.
I thought it was great, and loved the fact that future olympians lit the cauldron. A few people moaned about this on facebook but I think theyre frogetting the motto is 'inspire a generation'.

I think it will always be unfairly compared to Beijing though, it was never going to top that, but I loved it.
Reply 9
Most of it was amazing, made me feel kinda proud of being British and I'm a heartless bastard. Paul McCartney milking Jude as always gets a bit tedious.

Loved Mr Bean, the Brunel industrialism sequence, the Bond bit was amazing.

Great to see Bradley Wiggins start it off :biggrin:
I loved it! Really really enjoyed it! :smile:
Not compareable to Beijing because it was totally different. I really liked it, especially the final was excellent. I think you did a very good job not trying to copy Beijing but create something totally different. Greetings from Germany!
Original post by jaklargerne
Not compareable to Beijing because it was totally different. I really liked it, especially the final was excellent. I think you did a very good job not trying to copy Beijing but create something totally different. Greetings from Germany!

You've hit the nail on the head there. Great comment.
It was great !
8047_405000742880455_34877914_n.jpg
318857_10151054167039522_543999977_n.jpg
Reply 15
It was hit and miss at times but overall it was a good show.

I particularly enjoyed Bond, Bean and Berners Lee.
Reply 16
I loved it. It was moving, funny, original and uplifting. Beijing's may have been more polished and regimented, but ours was much better in many ways; it made me feel more, it was about people coming together and having FUN. Not everything has to be big-budget pyrotechnic showiness - I loved all the smaller moments that meant something.
It's not any of them because I thought it was amazing!!! But I'm on a bit of a high right now so I wouldn't count my opinion much until tomorrow morning when I'm rational again.
I thought parts of it were amazing, the only thing that slightly annoyed me was that all the actors/comedians/ musicians were all men and I feel as though he could easily found more women, apart from that I really loved it though!
Yeah, it was ok, a bit better than what I expected.

Some parts were great but some parts were not to my liking.

Quick Reply

Latest