Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to join a gym - need advice

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and VERY unfit, at least I think it's due to being unfit as doctors won't give me a physical exam just to check I'm ok... I get breathless easily (walking), I'm constantly tired and sweat excessively. My body looks ok but I have a pregnant-looking stomach. Will joining a gym improve my symptoms, mainly the sweating? It is really excessive and disgusting. What should I start off doing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got a few questions for you first

How much do you sleep per night?

Do you consider yourself to have hyperhidrosis? (google it)

What's a typical days diet for you?

What are your goals? Lose weight? Get toned? Or just get fitter?

I'd suggest signing up to a local gym and start off by just going 2/3 times a week doing something like 10 mins on the elliptical trainer and then 10 mins on either the treadmill or bike. Once you get used to things you can start to ramp up the time spent doing each exercise until you you can do a total of 30 minutes fairly easily.

Once you've answered the other questions I can probably help more
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cardio would definitely help that. Don't go to a gym just for cardio though, it's a waste of money. Run in a park or something. Get on a program like couch to 5k and/or do HIIT.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Cardio would definitely help that. Don't go to a gym just for cardio though, it's a waste of money. Run in a park or something. Get on a program like couch to 5k and/or do HIIT.
    Would HIIT be a good idea for someone who is very unfit? Wouldn't it be better to start off with walking first?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muesca)
    Got a few questions for you first

How much do you sleep per night?

About 8 hours

Do you consider yourself to have hyperhidrosis? (google it)

Yeah, I think a doctor told me I have it too

What's a typical days diet for you?

Awful diet, I just snack all day, but I intend on changing it

What are your goals? Lose weight? Get toned? Or just get fitter?

Both lose weight and get fitter.

I'd suggest signing up to a local gym and start off by just going 2/3 times a week doing something like 10 mins on the elliptical trainer and then 10 mins on either the treadmill or bike. Once you get used to things you can start to ramp up the time spent doing each exercise until you you can do a total of 30 minutes fairly easily.

Once you've answered the other questions I can probably help more
    Done
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You would be well advised to build up slowly. Start light and easy on the cardio/conditioning front and build up from there. Don't try and start off with intervals if you can't do steady state cardio for a reasonable length of time without feeling breathless/nauseous etc.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    Would HIIT be a good idea for someone who is very unfit? Wouldn't it be better to start off with walking first?
    If walking is a challenge then definitely. You do need a base of cardio to utilise HIIT to it's max; how much though, who knows.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the person who said you probably don't need to join a gym to improve initial fitness. If you're struggling even with walking, then paying for a gym might be a bit pointless when you could gradually increase your fitness at home by going for walks. Once you can't get the intensity of workout that you need by going outside then you could consider joining a gym.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 28, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.