The Student Room Group

Dressing in smart casual shirts daily- is it a bit too much??

Hello, I'm a 21year old male and really my question is quite generic. I am a person who likes to dress in sort of smart casual clothing, i.e smart casual button down shirt. The sort you find in M&S and Debenhams.

I usually wear a pair of jeans with them, and wear a pair of usually brown coloured footwear. Either leather or suede or some other style, dependent on how I feel. This is my attire usually daily, I have a variety of shirts.

My query is, do you think its a little over the top to dress in this manner unless your going out on a night out? I do prefer to look nice and presentable and often go for the very traditional (if you will) look. I don't like overly showy branded clothing although I guess you could argue that wearing Thomas Nash brand clothing is doing exactly this.

The reason of asking this question is because the other day I was walking through the town centre and I was wearing my usual attire and people were staring at me and it came to my attention. Now, I wasn't sure they were looking at me out of the fact I looked good, or purely frowning because I looked out of place.
But I do enjoy looking this way, its just a have self-esteem issues and problems with becoming self-conscious.

What are your thoughts? Many thanks.
Reply 1
I think it's pretty normal casual clothing.

I wear shirts al the time, though sometimes I don't button them to show off my t-shirt and make my outfit a little more casual.
Reply 2
Original post by royal1990
Hello, I'm a 21year old male and really my question is quite generic. I am a person who likes to dress in sort of smart casual clothing, i.e smart casual button down shirt. The sort you find in M&S and Debenhams.

I usually wear a pair of jeans with them, and wear a pair of usually brown coloured footwear. Either leather or suede or some other style, dependent on how I feel. This is my attire usually daily, I have a variety of shirts.

My query is, do you think its a little over the top to dress in this manner unless your going out on a night out? I do prefer to look nice and presentable and often go for the very traditional (if you will) look. I don't like overly showy branded clothing although I guess you could argue that wearing Thomas Nash brand clothing is doing exactly this.

The reason of asking this question is because the other day I was walking through the town centre and I was wearing my usual attire and people were staring at me and it came to my attention. Now, I wasn't sure they were looking at me out of the fact I looked good, or purely frowning because I looked out of place.
But I do enjoy looking this way, its just a have self-esteem issues and problems with becoming self-conscious.

There's nothing wrong with dressing smartly and if you enjoy the style then wear it.
Reply 3
I wouldn't say it's over-dressing or anything. I guess I myself dress a little more casually than that at the moment but I've started wearing smarter things recently. In fact I'd say that it's better to be a little smarter on a day to day basis.
Reply 4
I actually enjoy seeing men dressed this way. It kind of does it for me. I think It's a nice style to go for.

I am very similar, I tend to wear dresses that look the office type although I do not work in an office. I usually get told it looks alright.

Nevermind about those staring at you. As long as you're happy and comfortable with what you're wearing continue to do so. They probably think you look good, people tend to stare when others look better then them...
I wear casual shirts most days because I don't really think t shirts and jeans go well together. I have done it for so long that if I do wear a t shirt my mates call me mr casual and wonder why I am wearing it. Although since my Mum has stoped ironing for me shirts are becoming less appealing.
It can definitely work. I have a friend who's always in a shirt and tie with jeans and I think he looks pretty damn excellent, to be honest.
Reply 7
Do you have an example? Like this?
Copenhagen-locals-2.jpeg
Reply 8
Original post by Sternumator
Although since my Mum has stoped ironing for me shirts are becoming less appealing.

This is so true. With some of my shirts its impossible to get the creases out. QQ
Reply 9
Even though most of our peers don't dress this way it's actually totally okay, even more: it's desireable :wink: I'm not doing it every day but several times a week and it feels absolutely right.
Reply 10
i love men who dress like this! i personally think its great to take a bit of pride in what you look like (even though i have days when i look like i've been dragged through a hedge backwards!) and if you like what you wear then carry on, :smile: the most important thing is dressing for yourself, wearing what you like and it sounds like you're doing that! :smile:
I love a guy in a shirt with jeans: preferably a white shirt, short-sleeved if you have nice arms, and mid-tone denim jeans. :sexface:
Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie
I love a guy in a shirt with jeans: preferably a white shirt, short-sleeved if you have nice arms, and mid-tone denim jeans. :sexface:

When you say white, do you mean plain white? And what do you think about smart black trousers as opposed to jeans? Everyone time I go out, I am literally the only person who wears a shirt with trousers haha. :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by royal1990

1) Wear what you want. remember there's people out there who are actively trying to look weird. They also have the effect of making you look normal.

2) Smart casual is cool. Beats topman chinos.

3) I bop around the grimey suburbs of North London all day every day in a shirt, trousers and shoes. Never get looked at. Either noone is looking at you or if they are it's because you put it together oddly and ended up looking like an old man/dork (smart casual is hard to pull off, there's a fine line between too dorky and too formal) However i think that it is most likely the former. I would never bat an eyelid at anyone in a shirt and jeans that's just standard wear. Hell the other day a guy in a full Robin (from Batman) suit rides down the high road on a unicycle at 8pm. Didn't care.
Original post by Superman_Jr
When you say white, do you mean plain white? And what do you think about smart black trousers as opposed to jeans? Everyone time I go out, I am literally the only person who wears a shirt with trousers haha. :colondollar:

Trousers do it more for me, jeans are nice too but... Nothing beats a man suited up! :biggrin:
Original post by Superman_Jr

Yes, plain white, but light blue is nice too. :smile: I'd say only smart black trousers if you're at work or going to a job interview - definitely jeans for everyday wear and going out. :smile:
Reply 16
don't worry, i dress like this too! Jeans, shirt, jumper. And for the nights out, shirt, trouser Don't worry about what people think. If it makes you look and feel your best, then do it!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest