The Student Room Group

If you could only have one child, would you prefer to have a boy or a girl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Girl- I don't know why I'd just love a little girl! That doesn't mean to say I'd love a little boy less - I could never do that, I've just always imagined myself having a girl :smile:
Girl. Not entirely sure why but there aren't many girls in my family, particularly on my dad's side so it would be a nice change.
If I could only have one child, I still wouldn't care which gender it was.
Reply 23
I'd like a girl because i'd imagine myself spoiling her a lot.

Then when i'm old she'll put me into a nice care home instead of a cruddy one like a son would to get at my cash.
A girl just so I can forbid them from going orange and try my best to stop them being a girly girl :lol:
Reply 25
Original post by Roxas

Then when i'm old she'll put me into a nice care home instead of a cruddy one like a son would to get at my cash.

There's definitely a story behind this comment
Reply 26
Girl: I wouldn't have to take her out to play football or any other ridiculous father-son activities.

Lol, you can tell I grew up without a dad for most of my childhood :biggrin:
I think I'd rather have a girl- same as Roxas really, I think I'd like to spoil her. And I tend to get on better with females in general better anyways.
Original post by Cephalus
Girl: I wouldn't have to take her out to play football or any other ridiculous father-son activities.

Lol, you can tell I grew up without a dad for most of my childhood :biggrin:

not as bad as when a girl wants to have the time/money black hole that is a horse
would have to be a boy - i couldnt deal with having boys around my daughter...but if my son was shacking up with some hoe that would just be funny
Reply 30
And they ask why female infanticide goes on in India and China.

Case in point.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way justifying these horrific actions, just pointing something out
Is the general rule that men want sons and women want daughters?
Reply 32
Boy, because teenage girls are crazy to deal with.
Reply 33
A boy, simply because as a male i will have a better idea of what his interests are
Reply 34
Original post by shmuxel
And they ask why female infanticide goes on in India and China.

Case in point.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way justifying these horrific actions, just pointing something out

The difference is, children in those cultures are required to do manual labour from a young age in order to help the family make a living, so guys are preferred. Here, we don't need children for that.
I don't want kids, but if I did have them, a girl I suppose. Because you can dress them up fairly cutely and I'd imagine little girls being less wild and crazy than little boys. My brother was a little **** growing up, that's probably why I think that :smile:
Girl.
I have one brother (13), and four male cousins (8, 6, 6 and 3 nearly 4). So there are definitely more boys in my family. I've had enough of little boys! IMO boys can be pretty annoying. I guess girls are too, with all the bitchiness stuff (do I know about that!) but at least I'd know how to deal with their problems because I've been through most of them myself. I think I'd 'connect' more with a girl too, but cos of my experience, I do know a lot about boys too.

TBH, although I'd prefer a girl, a little boy wouldn't be TOO bad. After all, I've had plenty of experience. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Vazzyb
And why?

Vb

A boy to continue my male progenitor bloodline!
Reply 38
Original post by Vohamanah
I don't want kids, but if I did have them, a girl I suppose. Because you can dress them up fairly cutely and I'd imagine little girls being less wild and crazy than little boys. My brother was a little **** growing up, that's probably why I think that :smile:

While I'm less interested in cutesy clothes and that sort of thing (if anything, I'd prefer my daughter not to dress in an excessively girly/twee way!), my brothers are the reason I'd rather have a daughter too. Given the amount of stupid **** they've done over the years, I cannot comprehend how having a girl could possibly be harder, as some have suggested on this thread!
(edited 11 years ago)
wow so much bias against female children even among western raised people. 60-30% is quite sad. It's not just guys either one girl even said she'd prefer a boy. It is still shocking though. why should the gender matter? why can't you be happy whatever gender it is..why stereotype daughters as being like this or sons being like this. And i thought this bias just existed in india, china and asian countries through all religions.

its sad that 2 million female infants have been murdered in countries, often with female collaboration, because being male is seen as more valuable. However, since the bias against female children exists here you can't really say much about it. to know the extent of the problem watch this subtitled episode on femal foeticide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fp3V8YWFsA

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/columnists/farrukh-dhondy/female-foeticide-not-asian-import
It's not just an asian thing centuries ago female foeticide used to happen in anglo-celtic circles as well. IN fact remnants of such thought can be seen in the comments above valuing male children over females.

it's kind of sad. Both are equally valuable. Personally, i would prefer a girl because girls generally are very loving towards fathers and i'd love to spoil my daughter.

Interesting that a british asian started this thread as those sexist and regressive beliefs are quite common among british asian families as well. is it no wonder that british asian guys are not seen as attractive because of sexist regressive beliefs.

In some places in India and China there is such shortage of girls that hundreds of thousands of guys are remaining single or practices such as purchasing wives is happening.

if you have time..watch this (it is subtitled) and you will see that this is not merely a small problem

I wonder where all who are indiscriminately choosing boys would be if your mother had not given birth to you. Or if males outnumbered females in the UK. Would you have a happier world? Father is equally important but the mother goes through 9 months of pain to deliver..her contribution is greater.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending