The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7320
Original post by SortYourLife

Yeah this is what we do, just annoying when they join the queue after half ten and think there's something we can do about it, and its hard to see what's spare on drive thru. If he had come in store they probably could have done something for him, but hey.

My store doesn't have a drive thru, so I've never had the issue, just easy for me to ask what's left. It does annoy me though, people coming after half past and expecting exactly what they want. It's not as if we're trying to be deliberately awkward, we just can't make it if we've changed the grills over! I had my break over changeover today though, so it was all good! I like opens, especially on a Saturday. Nice easy morning and by the time it gets busy it's almost home time :p:
Original post by Jessca
My first shift today at the Olympic Park - good lord is that MaccyD's busy! According to the customers the average queue time is 45-50 minutes...

here is a picture of the new uniform.. they make us tuck it in which I think makes it look worse tbh.

Ahh can't wait to wear this... :/

But our store always seems to be dead quick at getting everything, weve had the new till system since like the start of the year or something, we had fruitizz a couple of months before all the tv adverts etc, and I just can't help but feel as though were gonna get this like asap.... :/

I read on the till that they're gonna start charging for bags in wales thanks to the government.... That's ridiculous! Surely you're screwed if you have a drive thru... ?
Reply 7322
Ahh can't wait to wear this... :/

But our store always seems to be dead quick at getting everything, weve had the new till system since like the start of the year or something, we had fruitizz a couple of months before all the tv adverts etc, and I just can't help but feel as though were gonna get this like asap.... :/

I read on the till that they're gonna start charging for bags in wales thanks to the government.... That's ridiculous! Surely you're screwed if you have a drive thru... ?

we're lucky in all honesty the men's one is hideous - The women's uniform is a manageable level of ugly.. whereas the mens.. well no one can pull off that garment without looking like a pleb tbh :|
Original post by Ronda
My store doesn't have a drive thru, so I've never had the issue, just easy for me to ask what's left. It does annoy me though, people coming after half past and expecting exactly what they want. It's not as if we're trying to be deliberately awkward, we just can't make it if we've changed the grills over! I had my break over changeover today though, so it was all good! I like opens, especially on a Saturday. Nice easy morning and by the time it gets busy it's almost home time :p:

Haha Sunday changeover always seems to be the worst for us, because were on a retail park were one of the few places actually open, and everyone seems to come in for their hangover food, usually around quarter past 10. It's definitely no where near as bad as when I first started and we would still be taking breakfast orders at like 10 to 11...

The only uniform I have that is actually McDonald's is one top... It's ridiculous, I've asked before for some more, but I think I'm just gonna leave it now and just make sure I get a bit when we get the new ones.

And ah I'm very grateful we have a drive thru, otherwise Id hate it ha :tongue: I can't do kitchen (and I don't particularly fancy it) and I don't really like being on a till just because of how tied down you are, although I like taking cash on booth one :smile:

On a 8-5 tomorrow, which unfortunately probably means a break just after change over, but hopefully not :biggrin:

Btw does anyone ever keep their stockroom locked ? We did for a day last weekend, but now we seemed to have stopped again because of the amount of people just asking for the key :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Original post by Jessca
we're lucky in all honesty the men's one is hideous - The women's uniform is a manageable level of ugly.. whereas the mens.. well no one can pull off that garment without looking like a pleb tbh :|

Haha that's true, just gonna take some getting used to :smile:

How have you found working at the Olympics ?
Reply 7325
Original post by Jessca
I'm sure everyone has a problem with the uniform in some way, its so frustrating! Why can't they just make them the size they claim to be?! the button basically flew off my size 8 trousers a few months ago yet every other pair of jeans or trousers I own fit perfectly... please McDonald's give us uniform that fits.. :frown:

A few people claimed that we get a premium pay due to working in London though some say we get paid through our normal restaurants at the same pay rate. I don't mind either way I just wish someone would clarify this for me!

It is rather annoying, I look really stupid in my shirt, and people keep commenting on how tent-like it looks!

I remember reading it on ourlounge as normal rate, but I could be wrong as it was a while ago I'd read it!
Reply 7326
Haha Sunday changeover always seems to be the worst for us, because were on a retail park were one of the few places actually open, and everyone seems to come in for their hangover food, usually around quarter past 10. It's definitely no where near as bad as when I first started and we would still be taking breakfast orders at like 10 to 11...

The only uniform I have that is actually McDonald's is one top... It's ridiculous, I've asked before for some more, but I think I'm just gonna leave it now and just make sure I get a bit when we get the new ones.

And ah I'm very grateful we have a drive thru, otherwise Id hate it ha :tongue: I can't do kitchen (and I don't particularly fancy it) and I don't really like being on a till just because of how tied down you are, although I like taking cash on booth one :smile:

On a 8-5 tomorrow, which unfortunately probably means a break just after change over, but hopefully not :biggrin:

Btw does anyone ever keep their stockroom locked ? We did for a day last weekend, but now we seemed to have stopped again because of the amount of people just asking for the key :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e

We don't open till 10:30 on a Sunday so no breakfast at all for us :p: I got a 9-5 tomorrow which should be easy enough as it's an open for us on a Sunday. Although, next week we start longer opening hours for the Edinburgh festival, so we'll open at 9:30 on a Sunday and start main menu then. Although we'll do a half breakfast menu (bacon rolls, pancakes and porridge) it's going to be a pain explaining to customers why we won't have breakfast -___-

I've always wanted to go work in a drive thru for a couple of shifts. Just to try it out :p:
Reply 7327
Haha that's true, just gonna take some getting used to :smile:

How have you found working at the Olympics ?

Well I usually work in such a small store and have never really seen a queue in my whole time at McDonalds so it was a shock to the system. It was my first shift today and I did get used to it after about an hour but I am really really exhausted now!

Original post by Ronda
It is rather annoying, I look really stupid in my shirt, and people keep commenting on how tent-like it looks!

I remember reading it on ourlounge as normal rate, but I could be wrong as it was a while ago I'd read it!

haha I noticed that with some of the managers at my store, the sleeves - do they really have to be that big?
I don't mind either way as I'm set to make a lot of money from this which will be useful as I'm trying to save for uni (and failing)

They already do, since last October afaik. I know we give out free small bags for just fries, but I don't know what happens with drive thrus since I work in Cardiff city centre and we don't have one. I imagine customers just have to pay the 5p. It doesn't cause too many problems-except when people suddenly decide they want to take away after they've paid you and you have to ask them for an extra for the bag and then some people act like 5p is just outrageous... (when they have to pay 5p for a bag everywhere else-you'd think they'd be used to it by now).
Original post by neonlightning
Okay, I just thought I'd ask here but today I had my orientation and I've finished the health and safety stuff on our lounge but McTime isn't working for me? Do I have to wait a bit before its all sorted with my account and everything at the restaurant or is this an actual problem with my account? I wanted to request that I don't work a couple of days when I'm volunteering at a festival in August.

Someone at your store has to put you on there. It was over a week after my first shift before I could finally get on McTime. If it's something coming up quite soon, I'd talk to someone at your store to let them know.
Original post by heidigirl
Someone at your store has to put you on there. It was over a week after my first shift before I could finally get on McTime. If it's something coming up quite soon, I'd talk to someone at your store to let them know.

Thank you! Just thought I'd check if it was something I had to get sorted out :smile:

The bag charge is absolutely horrendous. It's total insanity.

On drive through at the end of every order you have to ask the customer if they would like a bag or not, then put through the order as either 'bag' or 'no bag'.

If the order is 'no bag' you have to hand the order out the window to them on a tray (as though they were eating in) with only fries or hash browns bagged in an A or B bag. Putting anything other than fries or hash browns in that bag (even just a ketchup dip) can incur a £5,000 fine. It's an absolute nightmare and makes running drive through efficiently nearly impossible during gap hour etc.

This would be fine if most customers paid for bags, but I'd say around 80-90% of orders are 'no bag' :rolleyes:
Wait, they keep the tray??!!
Hey there!

So I've just managed to revive my TSR profile and gave my old hotmail a kick up the arse to produce password reset emails. :smile:

I applied to McDonald's about 5 weeks ago, had an interview 3 weeks ago, had my orientation last week and had my first shift last night 4-9.

It's been interesting, considering I applied to McDonald's as a 'oh, let's see if I beat the questionnaire things here', but then it ended up becoming an option for me because I can potentially transfer up to Cheltenham when I go to University.

I must say thanks to you all, especially Ronda for all your posts over the last month as I've been avidly stalking this thread and meaning to post.

Last night my shift basically consisted of doing drinks on the Drive Thru which at first may look easy... The screen that we have for Window 2 (hand out) is about a meter in front of the drinks machines - you have to step back and look up to the ceiling to see the orders. Then when they change their order whilst you're being super efficient you end up with a few waste drinks ALSO we have no fruitizz on DT so have to run to the front to get it and it's so bloody fizzy!

So I've got a bit of a neck ache from that but I get paid for it and they're getting a new screen soon to avoid it... I would prioritise it with the franchisee as a health and safety hazard but meh.

Next shift on Friday.
Reply 7334
Our chiller broke down today. Was not fun. We had a scare with our freezer too, but luckily it had only tripped and the food was still safe to use. Now we have no main chiller until Wednesday. So everything is living in the tiny chiller on front counter, or in the chiller of the store across the road from us. Our BM went on holiday last Saturday and so far our fry station blew up last Sunday and now the chiller's gone. He chose such a great time to go on holiday!

Original post by Roving Fish
Hey there!

So I've just managed to revive my TSR profile and gave my old hotmail a kick up the arse to produce password reset emails. :smile:

I applied to McDonald's about 5 weeks ago, had an interview 3 weeks ago, had my orientation last week and had my first shift last night 4-9.

It's been interesting, considering I applied to McDonald's as a 'oh, let's see if I beat the questionnaire things here', but then it ended up becoming an option for me because I can potentially transfer up to Cheltenham when I go to University.

I must say thanks to you all, especially Ronda for all your posts over the last month as I've been avidly stalking this thread and meaning to post.

Last night my shift basically consisted of doing drinks on the Drive Thru which at first may look easy... The screen that we have for Window 2 (hand out) is about a meter in front of the drinks machines - you have to step back and look up to the ceiling to see the orders. Then when they change their order whilst you're being super efficient you end up with a few waste drinks ALSO we have no fruitizz on DT so have to run to the front to get it and it's so bloody fizzy!

So I've got a bit of a neck ache from that but I get paid for it and they're getting a new screen soon to avoid it... I would prioritise it with the franchisee as a health and safety hazard but meh.

Next shift on Friday.

Aww, glad to have been of help! I've had to work in a store with a BOP screen which was in a really awkward place to see and I ended up with a sore neck after that! Luckily they're in a decent place in my store!

Hope you're enjoying it despite the neck-ache!
And no more McDs for a month!!!! Hell yeah :biggrin:

(Just need to actually let them know I'm not coming in on Wednesday and then I'm sorted...except for I have no internet so can't find out who's shift it is...yay)
Reply 7336
I am exhausted today I was on my own making hot drinks for every single order - I feel like I've had an extreme work-out after running to and from all four of the machines.. making eight drinks at a time .. not including teas. I had to maintain that pace for around 7 hours straight all by myself. Hope I'm not doing that tomorrow! :frown:
Original post by Jessca
I am exhausted today I was on my own making hot drinks for every single order - I feel like I've had an extreme work-out after running to and from all four of the machines.. making eight drinks at a time .. not including teas. I had to maintain that pace for around 7 hours straight all by myself. Hope I'm not doing that tomorrow! :frown:

Ouch. I was doing that but was also on milkshakes and taps for DT... So much for my first shift but glad I had a Crew Trainer with me and was doing the flurries as that would have been taking the piss aha...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jessca

Sounds fun :biggrin: How busy is the store and how big is it? What's the kitchen like? How many crew are on at a time?

Apologies for all of the questions :biggrin:
Reply 7339
Well,
Ive worked for McDonalds for ab more than 1 month. At the first shift, I didnt have my NIN with me cause I was waiting for my number to arrived. After 1 month of working, finally I received the number and gave it to my manager. The thing is Ive been paid twice and as far as I can calculate, it was much lower than I had expected. The manager told me that that was because the tax and that amount will be back to my account after they have my NIN. but I dont quite understand how NIN works and havent received my money back. So, can anyone explain to me?
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending