The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DSal
hey guys, sorry for the ridiculous question but when it says deadline of 31st july, does that mean it has to be submitted tonight before 12am or can i submit it on 31st july etc? :smile:

I was wondering the same, I'm going to send mine just before 12 to make sure haha. Having a read through now!
Original post by acer0951
Hi guys I want todo medicine at imperial and I have chosen bio, chem, history and economics for A level and after reading the entry requirements I was slightly confused @@ so could someone please tell me whether I need maths as one of my subjects to full fill the requirements or not! Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I think its chemistry and one other science. I'm pretty sure that's what it was this year. If unsure give admissions a ring, it only takes a minute and could really make the difference as it can change for the start of a new cycle.

"three A levels, including chemistry and/or biology and one science or mathematics subject. The three A levels must be undertaken in the same academic year"
Original post by 4 Mathlete the win
Has anyone sent their essay for the scholarship yet?

What scholarship is this? O_O
Original post by Xiomara
What scholarship is this? O_O

It's a performance based scholarship that you get if they think you performed very well at interview stage. They would have emailed you the title- you write a 2000 word esaay and submit it by July 31st on the year of admission. :smile:
Original post by All Taken
It's a performance based scholarship that you get if they think you performed very well at interview stage. They would have emailed you the title- you write a 2000 word esaay and submit it by July 31st on the year of admission. :smile:

Oh right! Lol, I haven't applied (to Imperial) yet so that's why I'd never heard of it :L
When do we hear back from Imperial about which hall we've been given?
I think it's on results day.
Original post by <XOXO>
I think it's on results day.

Ok thanks <XOXO> :smile:
Original post by StockholmBoy
Ok thanks <XOXO> :smile:

No problem. Which hall are you hoping for? Eastside i'm guessing, because that's the one that EVERYONE seems to want (including myself)!
So how many of us actually submitted an essay toward the scholarship?

Kinda curious about the odds on this one. From what I've been able to find out, in the first-year entrants category they ask about 70-80 people to apply for 9 scholarships, but not everyone actually enters an essay.

Also, does anyone know when we might hear the result?
Original post by StockholmBoy
When do we hear back from Imperial about which hall we've been given?

You'll hear back in September, that's when they usually do it!

And good luck all you future Imperial medics for results day- quote me if you have any burning questions :smile:
Reply 3431
Original post by <XOXO>
No problem. Which hall are you hoping for? Eastside i'm guessing, because that's the one that EVERYONE seems to want (including myself)!

*raises hand as individual hoping for Eastside/Southside.

Original post by imnotherehonest
So how many of us actually submitted an essay toward the scholarship?

Kinda curious about the odds on this one. From what I've been able to find out, in the first-year entrants category they ask about 70-80 people to apply for 9 scholarships, but not everyone actually enters an essay.

Also, does anyone know when we might hear the result?

It said we'd know some time after Results Day. Can't remember exactly what it said.

...and yeah, I submitted an essay. I haven't the faintest idea how hopeful I should be though. I'll probably be anticipating whether I do/don't get it after I get my results back. That's the first hurdle after all, so I suppose I'm not really looking all that far ahead in that regard.
I may consider applying in a couple of years time, need to see my GCSE results first :confused: But are extracurricular activities needed or gives one the advantage for ICL and over russel group universities? because unfortunately for me I do not partake in them :frown:- will this hinder me? I know some US universities concentrate or sport and the arts, as they want all rounded students?

yeah and sorry if this in the wrong section
Original post by ocelot92
I may consider applying in a couple of years time, need to see my GCSE results first :confused: But are extracurricular activities needed or gives one the advantage for ICL and over russel group universities? because unfortunately for me I do not partake in them :frown:- will this hinder me? I know some US universities concentrate or sport and the arts, as they want all rounded students?

I believe they are an advantage. If they weren't, they wouldn't spend such a long time talking about extra curricular stuff at interviews.
Reply 3434

They certainly wouldn't harm your chances.

To be honest though, all Universities you will be looking at (regarding Medicine) would generally look for extra-curricular involvements outside of the usual Volunteering/Work Experience stuff as an enhancement to an application, so that wouldn't be limited to Imperial.

Of course it's not the end of the world if this isn't extensive, but I would advise you to take some sort of extra curricular activity before you apply, just to make sure you are able to draw on these experiences in your Personal Statement and at interview.

Although that being said, in my Imperial interview, for example, they probably gave about 8 minutes on Work Experience and 4 minutes on Extra Curricular (as well as a few other bits and bobs), which was probably longer (on ECs) than either my UCL or King's interview - so from my experience alone, I'd say Imperial weigh your ECs in fairly high regard.

Again contradicting myself, I know others that were asked about their ECs more than I was at both UCL and King's, so it really depends on the interviewers themselves, as much as the specific University requirements.

The whole process of applying is subjective, so if you don't feel you'll be able to commit to many ECs, then make sure you've got a lot of W.Ex to talk about - that sort of thing. They're after well-rounded people for sure, but they'll also love being impressed by something else on your application, and may forgive a leaner EC if another area of your application is particularly strong.

I'm waffling now; basically, give yourself every chance by being fair to yourself. :tongue:

Best of luck with your results - are they on the same day as ours (next Thursday)? :smile:
Original post by NP473L
They certainly wouldn't harm your chances.

To be honest though, all Universities you will be looking at (regarding Medicine) would generally look for extra-curricular involvements outside of the usual Volunteering/Work Experience stuff as an enhancement to an application, so that wouldn't be limited to Imperial.

Of course it's not the end of the world if this isn't extensive, but I would advise you to take some sort of extra curricular activity before you apply, just to make sure you are able to draw on these experiences in your Personal Statement and at interview.

Although that being said, in my Imperial interview, for example, they probably gave about 8 minutes on Work Experience and 4 minutes on Extra Curricular (as well as a few other bits and bobs), which was probably longer (on ECs) than either my UCL or King's interview - so from my experience alone, I'd say Imperial weigh your ECs in fairly high regard.

Again contradicting myself, I know others that were asked about their ECs more than I was at both UCL and King's, so it really depends on the interviewers themselves, as much as the specific University requirements.

The whole process of applying is subjective, so if you don't feel you'll be able to commit to many ECs, then make sure you've got a lot of W.Ex to talk about - that sort of thing. They're after well-rounded people for sure, but they'll also love being impressed by something else on your application, and may forgive a leaner EC if another area of your application is particularly strong.

I'm waffling now; basically, give yourself every chance by being fair to yourself. :tongue:

Best of luck with your results - are they on the same day as ours (next Thursday)? :smile:

Thanks very much for good advice. And no, 23rd of august. Good luck :wink:
Reply 3436
Thanks very much for good advice. And no, 23rd of august. Good luck :wink:

Ouch. An extra week to wait.

As I said, best of luck with your results and your A levels. :smile:
Original post by NP473L
It said we'd know some time after Results Day. Can't remember exactly what it said.

...and yeah, I submitted an essay. I haven't the faintest idea how hopeful I should be though. I'll probably be anticipating whether I do/don't get it after I get my results back. That's the first hurdle after all, so I suppose I'm not really looking all that far ahead in that regard.

The scholarship is conditional on the results so I guess they can't exactly decide before they get them, but the original e-mail says late-September, now I check. :rolleyes:

My theory is to keep fingers crossed but not to hold my breath. I was damn pleased to be asked to apply; my practise interview at school was a bit of a disaster! :colondollar: How did you apprach the essay in the end? Science-fiction creative writing description, maths-based extrapolation with journal references, illustrated poetry...?

I'm kind of looking forward to results day. Until Track updates, nothing is certain. I'm hoping the whole thing will sink in properly after that! :biggrin:
Reply 3438
Original post by imnotherehonest
The scholarship is conditional on the results so I guess they can't exactly decide before they get them, but the original e-mail says late-September, now I check. :rolleyes:

My theory is to keep fingers crossed but not to hold my breath. I was damn pleased to be asked to apply; my practise interview at school was a bit of a disaster! :colondollar: How did you apprach the essay in the end? Science-fiction creative writing description, maths-based extrapolation with journal references, illustrated poetry...?

I'm kind of looking forward to results day. Until Track updates, nothing is certain. I'm hoping the whole thing will sink in properly after that! :biggrin:

Late September? Ah well. Like I said, I'm not really holding my breath on it in any case.

In terms of how I approached it, I'd say I went for the philosophical, psychological approach (scattered with references), rather than a straight up Shakespearian descriptive piece of prose. Having done an Extended Project last year, I found it easier to write in that style; it's all that comes naturally to me any more.
Original post by NP473L
Late September? Ah well. Like I said, I'm not really holding my breath on it in any case.

In terms of how I approached it, I'd say I went for the philosophical, psychological approach (scattered with references), rather than a straight up Shakespearian descriptive piece of prose. Having done an Extended Project last year, I found it easier to write in that style; it's all that comes naturally to me any more.

I tried to go for science based projections based on a comparison between medicine 40 years ago and medicine today. The second half of the question about illness prevalence was more interesting to me though, so I hope they aren't looking for a descripive piece :crossedf:

My school didn't do EP so I haven't had to writte essays properly since GCSE. It was a bit of a shock to the system! :tongue:

Best of luck with both this and your results! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending