Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help with skateboard

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay anyone who knows about skateboarding, please help me!

I've ordered my boyfriend a skateboard deck for his birthday, the one I got him is here:

http://store.iheartdropdead.com/prod...rot_skate_deck

I can see it says it's 'pre-drilled' so I assume that means it has no wheels, or bearings? I've tried Googling what I need to buy but not had much luck, if someone could tell me exactly what I'd need to buy to turn this into a fully functioning skateboard in time for his birthday I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    Okay anyone who knows about skateboarding, please help me!

I've ordered my boyfriend a skateboard deck for his birthday, the one I got him is here:

http://store.iheartdropdead.com/prod...rot_skate_deck

I can see it says it's 'pre-drilled' so I assume that means it has no wheels, or bearings? I've tried Googling what I need to buy but not had much luck, if someone could tell me exactly what I'd need to buy to turn this into a fully functioning skateboard in time for his birthday I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you
    Presumably that means the holes for the bolts have already been drilled, so you don't have to do it yourself. It looks like you can see the holes, it's unusual for a board to come without the holes already pre-drilled. Unless it says so it won't come with anything else, just the board. Are you going to try and build the rest of the skateboard yourself? It's not particularly complicated but the parts you buy can vary from great quality to bad quality.

Are you going to try and build the rest yourself or let him put it together himself? I don't know how experienced he is with skateboarding, whether this is his first board for fun or he has been doing it a while?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Presumably that means the holes for the bolts have already been drilled, so you don't have to do it yourself. It looks like you can see the holes, it's unusual for a board to come without the holes already pre-drilled. Unless it says so it won't come with anything else, just the board. Are you going to try and build the rest of the skateboard yourself? It's not particularly complicated but the parts you buy can vary from great quality to bad quality.

Are you going to try and build the rest yourself or let him put it together and choose what wheels, bearings etc he wants to use? I don't know how experienced he is with skateboarding, whether this is his first board for fun or he has been doing it a while?
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah it's just the deck I think, I was hoping to order the wheels and bearings myself and put it all together so I could give it to him on his birthday and he could use it straightaway. But I really have no idea what good and bad parts are. He has been boarding for about 4/5 years now, do you think it would just be better if I gave him the deck and my credit card and told him to just buy what wheels and bearings he wants? Or will that seem like a half-arsed approach?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah it's just the deck I think, I was hoping to order the wheels and bearings myself and put it all together so I could give it to him on his birthday and he could use it straightaway. But I really have no idea what good and bad parts are. He has been boarding for about 4/5 years now, do you think it would just be better if I gave him the deck and my credit card and told him to just buy what wheels and bearings he wants? Or will that seem like a half-arsed approach?
    To be honest, I'm not a skateboarding whiz or anything, but I'll do my best!

Maybe just give him some money which he can put towards the other parts and let him build it himself? He probably knows what he's doing when it comes to skateboards. I'd say give him the board and a little bit of money for parts, and let him choose what he wants.

I hope this helped a little, it's a really nice gesture to try and make it but that would be my suggestion I don't want to feel like I'm shooting down your gesture though, maybe somebody else here will give their suggestions!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    x
    No I think you're right, it's probably best to let him choose which parts he wants and he'll probably quite enjoy building it himself Thank you so much for your help

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 31, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.