Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To return or not to return?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bought some sandals 1 month ago at Topshop.

They broke yesterday (strap came completely off the shoe).. I am annoyed.

Obviously worn them a few times (and they look like they've been worn), but I've had them for a month I haven't exactly been running marathons in them.

Still got the receipt so can I return them as faulty? Or should I just leave it? Made the critical mistake of expecting something from Topshop to last more than a month.. :rolleyes:

x
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Email customer services - lazier than schlepping all the way to the shop only for them to not take them back, and you might get free vouchers.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    I've recently had a similar returns issue with Topshop. At first the sales assistant was really rude and point blank refused to do anything as I had worn the dress that I was trying to return. I then rightly stated that that the damage on the dress wasn't usual wear and tear (a load of the stitching was coming undone) and that it was faulty. You could say this too, as even though Topshop shoes aren't the best, they obviously should be expected to last more then a couple of wears over a course of a month.

As I was getting nowhere with the sales assistant, I asked to speak to the manager who immeadiatly gave me a refund and a voucher as compensation. Win.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

Obviously worn them a few times (and they look like they've been worn), but I've had them for a month I haven't exactly been running marathons in them.

Still got the receipt so can I return them as faulty? Or should I just leave it? Made the critical mistake of expecting something from Topshop to last more than a month.. :rolleyes:

x
    Yes, you should. I think you have a legal right to return faulty goods too... Threaten the law and they should give in
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is topshop fairly cheap or not? I don't really know. But if they cost less than say £30 you shouldn't take them back/not really worth the bother. If more than £30 I think you should take them back.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    Is topshop fairly cheap or not? I don't really know. But if they cost less than say £30 you shouldn't take them back/not really worth the bother. If more than £30 I think you should take them back.

They were in the sale, so not much.

Tbh it's more the principle than anything else. Only wore em 4/5 times.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't return them then. Couldn't be bothered making a fuss and asking for a refund if it wasn't much money.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's reasonable to expect a shoe to last more than a month and would argue that they aren't fit for purpose. However, seeing as it's not much money, I wouldn't personally bother with a special trip just to return them.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

x
    Sale of Goods act - must be fit for purpose therefore you're entitled to a refund.

I bought a bag from Sports Direct, broke within a month, took it back. Initially they refused to cough up but like someone else has already said, threaten the law and you'll get your money back
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shops usually have a set amount of days where you can return an item though. It's usually 28 days, so you might not be able to. Also, some shops won't refund sale items.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    What if they are exactly £30?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, take them back.

I bought a top at River Island 3 weeks ago, lost the receipt but took it back anyway and they gave me a voucher for the price it currently was £15.

I dont know what TopShop is like, but go back and speak to a manager. Most managers dont want customers emilaing customer service, because i would gurantee 90% customer service would have a go at them if you complained them not refunding- as long as you look genuine then they should do it even just out of goodwill.

This is assuming it has a topshop label- if it is one of their concessions you are going to need proof of purchase otherwise you could have bought it anywhere.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Sale of Goods act - must be fit for purpose therefore you're entitled to a refund.

I bought a bag from Sports Direct, broke within a month, took it back. Initially they refused to cough up but like someone else has already said, threaten the law and you'll get your money back
    Maybe, but even so, this debate comes up an awful lot in life- the customer still needs proof of purchase- whether it be a receipt or a bank statement. You are not entitled to anything without. Though most places will do it out of goodwill.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehlouise)
    Shops usually have a set amount of days where you can return an item though. It's usually 28 days, so you might not be able to. Also, some shops won't refund sale items.
    that is only for general refunds.

If it is fault it is a different matter and you have a 'reasonable' amount of time to return.

Sadly, that is where the dispute lies on what is a reasonable amount of time.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Topshop are usually quite good with returns and customer service in general - at least in my experience. I saw a woman take back a jacket that she had bought a couple of months previously, and had been worn but the buttons were all falling/coming apart, so they refunded her for it. If you're going to do it, be polite. Don't go all in guns-a-blazing like some people.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This is the worse time to return items when 90% of stock has gone into sale, you'll likely loose value even more. Just saying.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I work in retail. If a customer returns something faulty that they've used then we aren't allowed to give a refund.
    However if you kick up a fuss and ask to the speak to the manager then he'll give you anything you want (within reason )
    Rule number 1 of customer service = Be an absolute suck up to keep the customer coming back again and again.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    I work in retail. If a customer returns something faulty that they've used then we aren't allowed to give a refund.
    However if you kick up a fuss and ask to the speak to the manager then he'll give you anything you want (within reason )
    Rule number 1 of customer service = Be an absolute suck up to keep the customer coming back again and again.
    well if they have proof of purchase and its faulty, you HAVE to give a refund if its within a reasonable amount of time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    well if they have proof of purchase and its faulty, you HAVE to give a refund if its within a reasonable amount of time.
    A reasonable amount of time depends on the shop. Where I work, it's 2 weeks. George at Asda is 100 days. Most high street clothes stores are 28 days unworn.
    If you return some shoes after a month because they're broke, as a standard they will probably say "Tough, you've worn them, there's no proof to say they were badly made" but if you kick up a fuss and ask for an MOD, then they'll 99% likely apologise for their colleague's mistake, and offer you a full refund and a voucher to compensate.
    Customer service is a nightmare
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would return them as they've broken after only a month of use.

Different shop but I'd worn a pair of walking boots for 8 weeks and had worn through the entire sole. I took them back and they had obviously been worn but I got a full refund as they weren't fit for the job. Boots should last for years!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.