Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I always a target for street mugging? What should I do?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A few days ago, a young man asked me if I wanted to blaze. I didn't understand what it meant. He eventually explained it was weed. So I refused and walked on. Shortly afterwards, on a quiet street he and his mates were calling me and my friend. They were following us until my friend refused to speak to them. From what happened, I assume they were trying to mug us because my friend at the time had his headphone sticking round his neck. I am a bit traumatised and I am not sure what to do if I see them again. BTW, I have indirectly seen these people before walking up and down the main street I walk down everyday
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exam2k10)
    x
    If they were trying to mug you they would have mugged you, not just called out to you. They probably just thought they were being funny. You were a target to cure 5 minutes of boredom, not a mugging.
    • 14 followers

I think they could have tried to mug you better...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need to make yourself less of an easy target.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol you got off pretty easy for a mugging
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sullen_Wind)
    If they were trying to mug you they would have mugged you, not just called out to you. They probably just thought they were being funny. You were a target to cure 5 minutes of boredom, not a mugging.
    Oh. Because they were kinda stalking us on the way home. One of them were on a bike and he said that his friends were calling us. They looked very sketchy
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Because they were kinda stalking us on the way home. One of them were on a bike and he said that his friends were calling us. They looked very sketchy

Awww, I'd be scared too :rolleyes:
    My brother got mugged and things a whole lot when he was in his teens. Mainly because he dressed in a different way to most! He wore those crazy long clown shoes and had dread locks and just not your average clothing!
    Although, one day two chavtastic freaks threw two eggs at him, and he caught them both, without breaking! He managed to stay up beat and said hey, 2 free eggs that day. ahaha. It is actually really sad because he's lovely.

Anyway, you could try taking different routes? If it carries on you must tell someone though, they might take it further and actually hurt you.
    I suppose it could be your appearance or something, people are scared of what they don't understand.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mug them instead.
    Or you could try a passive facial expression when walking down the street... Chavs have this weird sixth sense for happiness. I do it all the time and I haven't been mugged... lately.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Avoid waking in the same street everyday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they were high they probably thought stalking you would be a funny joke, they probably had no intention of harming you. If you're worried, learn self defence.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ur traumatised? :lolwut: They didn't even mug you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    If youre traumatised by this i perish the thought if youre ever actually mugged...

Learn self defence or something though theres nothing else you can do really.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, you're always a target however, in this particular occassion you was not mugged?
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a bit traumatised and I am not sure what to do if I see them again.
    Ignore them

Have you been mugged in the past?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Act like you're purposeful, confident and aware of your surroundings. Don't go around with your headphones on because;
    A. you're advertising you've got an ipod worth nicking.
    B. You're putting your self into a bubble and are less aware of what's going on around you.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    A few days ago, a young man asked me if I wanted to blaze. I didn't understand what it meant. He eventually explained it was weed. So I refused and walked on. Shortly afterwards, on a quiet street he and his mates were calling me and my friend. They were following us until my friend refused to speak to them. From what happened, I assume they were trying to mug us because my friend at the time had his headphone sticking round his neck. I am a bit traumatised and I am not sure what to do if I see them again. BTW, I have indirectly seen these people before walking up and down the main street I walk down everyday
    in what way does this give you the idea they wanted to mug you? :confused:
    Maybe they were just bored and wanted to chat, or maybe they just wanted weed? If you go around london with that kind of attitude you're going to get beaten up. Just be polite, say sorry you don't have anything, and say "sorry I have to go now" or something. I generally say: "sorry, I don't smoke" or if it feels right "sorry mate, I don't smoke" or something appropriate.

Remember, not every black guy on the street is a mugger/gangster/thug. I work with black kids and they look intimidating but when you get to know them, they aint half bad you know. Nice people
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    If they were high they probably thought stalking you would be a funny joke, they probably had no intention of harming you. If you're worried, learn self defence.
    OP, THIS!!!!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always find that the situation can be resolved by shaking your fist after them and shouting at the top of your voice 'OIKS!'
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Move to a better area.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    A guy once asked me to "low him a dolla for da bus"; I was severely traumatised. True Story.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 2, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.