Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't lose weight!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

I can't lose weight!
    Basically this is my history:
    At 14, I was 5"6 and weighed 8st 8lbs, I was like a little bit chubby and so decided to lose weight and over around 3 months I got down to 7st 9lbs and was really happy with that.
    By 15 I was about 5"7 and 9st
    By 16 I was about 5"8 and 10st
    Now, aged 17 (nearly 18) I'm 5"9/10 and 10st 9lbs

So yeah ive put on 3stone in 3 years :/ I'm not like fat now, but I'm slightly chubby and it just gets me down and I want to loose like half a stone/stone so I'm just slim!

I've tried like everything to try and loose weight, but nothing works!!!!!
    When i lost weight at 14 I literally starved myself to the point of exhaustion to lose it.. For the past weeks I've ate an apple, bag of pombears, toasted chicken sandwich and salad (or equiv calorie teas) and water and tea AND i exercise and I've lost nothing - not even a single pound!
    Any suggestions welcome?!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. You aren't losing weight because you're doing it wrong.

Stop starving yourself. And stop eating such a low number of calories. It just means your body would be less likely to get rid of fat. Have you read the fitness stickies?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's actually not bad considering you're height.
    I'm 5"6 and 10st exactly but I don't look chubby/fat.
    you have to have a balanced exercise plan. don't just work on abs etc. try cardio. Starving yourself will make things worse
    Drink more water, go jogging, dancing helps.

I've tried eating sensibly too like 1500 calories a day + exercise.. that doesn't work! I put weight on super easily - I put 3lbs (that never came off) after eating a takeout pizza and cake at a friends birthday thing...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    aerobic exercise is really good, it will burn off a lot calories in a short amount of time. if you do two 40min-60min aerobic workouts a week that should be a good start. Apparently the best time for aerobic exercise is in the morning. Drinking water is good and don't cut out the fruit. Whatever you do don't give up its good that you're trying to become healthy but don't let it get you down that you're not losing weight fast (better this than to gain more weight) , speak to your GP about it too.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have blueberries for fruits mainly, it helps with the burning of fat (any other fruits are good, but in particular berries) . Aerobic exercise is good, spend 30 minutes on an exercise bike at a constant pace.

Remember that if you sweat, your burning fat!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've lost 21 pounds without going hungry (except being a bit hungry when going to bed as I tried to ensure I ate before or at least not long after 7pm, but that's it).

I just replaced more meals with salad and more snacks with fruit, and ate really slowly and stopped when I was full.

I always add a small sprinkling of cheese to my salad, and some Italian Seasoning (the small jars of seasoning you can get in supermarkets) with olive oil, and if I have ham or some sort of meat I add that too. The tastier your food and the less hungry you go, the easier it is.

Starving yourself won't work as you will almost never be able to stick with such a plan (that and it's incredibly unhealthy), you need to make it as easy as possible and make sure your goals are long term.

One treat of mine is those Marks and Spencers sushi snacks (the small ones), which amazingly can fill me up AND taste really really nice. They're also less than 300 calories. I don't know how much higher that is when I add the soy sauce (I always do :P) but to be honest I don't care, it's obviously not going to be as high as a cheese and onion pasty or a Chicken and Mayo with bacon baguette that I would have had for lunch in the past.

TL;DR Replace unhealthy foods with tasty salads, eat slowly and stop when you're full, and don't panic!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never lose weight doing it that way either :/
    It's so weird - I get thinner if I actually have occasional treats, otherwise I lose nothing. I would suggest just to eat a lot of fruit in your diet (that may have been helping me) and being active in other ways than just exercise. Don't eat so little as your body will go into starvation mode, so it savours calories and fat in food more as it is getting so little (same reason you should always eat a light breakfast).
    Easiest way to lose weight without being unhealthy is to adapt a healthy active lifestyle, not by doing fad diets which won't last.

How did you lose the weight when you were younger? And how were you chubby at that weight/height?!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've tried eating sensibly too like 1500 calories a day + exercise.. that doesn't work! I put weight on super easily - I put 3lbs (that never came off) after eating a takeout pizza and cake at a friends birthday thing...
    Stop. You didn't put on 3lbs by eating a pizza and cake. They don't even weigh 3lbs themselves.

You've got to get a routine of exercise going, and stop eating crap. It really doesn't matter what you do, as long as you keep doing it. E.g. do 20 press ups every morning when you wake up. Buy some light dumbells or any weights and do X amount of reps every day. Not so many that you're keeling over, just enough so that you can feel it in your arms. There are so many exercises, just pick a couple and do them everyday (or alternate and do different ones each day.) If you do it properly, the weight won't come off fast, but you'll be much more likely to keep it off. Exercise will make you look and feel a lot better aswell, it'll tone you up so even if you have some flab on top, your body is "held together" better.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    hahah I'm really sorry! didnt meant to sound bad. I was making a joke. but srsly: stop eating. I tried excercise and diets but nothing worked and then i semi starved myself for 7 days and went down two sizes. the experience alone shook my inner strength and from then i was able to adopt a healthy diet and maintain the weight without unhealthy starving. you just need a kickstart.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going hungry is the worst thing you can do because your metabolism will slow right down. Do a google search for metabolism boosting foods and incorporate them into your three meals and snacks, drink loads of water and go running.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It looks like your problem is more that you immediately put it back on. This is because you are loosing weight in an unhealthy way until you are at a weight you are happy with. The problem with this is that you can't carry on with that diet because you'll become dangerously underweight, but you've no other alternative than to go back to how you were eating before, which is what caused the problem. The best thing you can do is to have a healthy diet with exercise so you can continually stick to it. With a healthy diet you should loose excess weight you do not need, but will not drop bellow the ideal weight of your body. If you do not loose weight on this diet then it is either not strong enough, or you are already at the average weight your body wants. For example, I am a 5"2 girl and my average body weight is about 7stone 4lbs. If I go above this it is easy to loose the weight up until that weight, and if I loose bellow, I will always regain it till this point (not purposely). This is what I meant by the average weight for your body.
    Theia.

Thanks for all your comments!
    By 'starving' myself I ate a yoghurt and banana for breakfast, cheese sandwich for lunch and whatever my mum cooked for tea so it was about 1200 calories a day - I didn't like not eat :P I just cut out all snacks!

(Original post by megan.c)
    I never lose weight doing it that way either :/
    It's so weird - I get thinner if I actually have occasional treats, otherwise I lose nothing. I would suggest just to eat a lot of fruit in your diet (that may have been helping me) and being active in other ways than just exercise. Don't eat so little as your body will go into starvation mode, so it savours calories and fat in food more as it is getting so little (same reason you should always eat a light breakfast).
    Easiest way to lose weight without being unhealthy is to adapt a healthy active lifestyle, not by doing fad diets which won't last.

How did you lose the weight when you were younger? And how were you chubby at that weight/height?!
    Thanks for your tips.
    I lost the weight by cutting out snacks completely (I was really motivated) and counting calories really exactly. I wasn't really 'chubby' and I'm still not as I'm like around size 10/12, but I've just got that extra flab which means I'm not totally slim and it just gets me down!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't lose weight!
    Basically this is my history:
    At 14, I was 5"6 and weighed 8st 8lbs, I was like a little bit chubby and so decided to lose weight and over around 3 months I got down to 7st 9lbs and was really happy with that.
    By 15 I was about 5"7 and 9st
    By 16 I was about 5"8 and 10st
    Now, aged 17 (nearly 18) I'm 5"9/10 and 10st 9lbs

So yeah ive put on 3stone in 3 years :/ I'm not like fat now, but I'm slightly chubby and it just gets me down and I want to loose like half a stone/stone so I'm just slim!

I've tried like everything to try and loose weight, but nothing works!!!!!
    When i lost weight at 14 I literally starved myself to the point of exhaustion to lose it.. For the past weeks I've ate an apple, bag of pombears, toasted chicken sandwich and salad (or equiv calorie teas) and water and tea AND i exercise and I've lost nothing - not even a single pound!
    Any suggestions welcome?!

I like girls who are a bit chubby, nice and soft and feminine. But you didn't mention whether you are working out or not. If not, you need to in order to lose weight. You need to do something called HIIT which is dynamite for losing fat
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    See this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2067726

You need to stop focusing on your weight, you don't need to lose any more. It's clear from the stats you gave that you must have a high fat percentage because 8st8lbs is tiny for 5'6...I'm that hight and a whole stone heavier and do not look chubby.

Instead concentrate on having a better diet - which excludes pombears and pizza etc - and also instead of always having salads (which won't do much to fill you up), try including more veg like broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and have it with chicken or fish, for example.

And when you say you exercise, what do you do? If you had more muscle, guaranteed you wouldn't look chubby.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering why so many random posters, I guess this is a thread move.

Read the stickies (in the Fitness forum).
    At 5'9 and 10stone 9 if you look chubby/fat then it's likely you have little muscle.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I once lost weight just through diet alone! I completely cut my portion sizes, drank more water and stopped eating after 7. Also I found eating meals slowly (chewing loads before swallowing) meant I didn't eat as much because my body had more time to realise it was full if you know what I mean. Obviously exercise would help too. This worked really well for me so I suggest you give it a go!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I was wondering why so many random posters, I guess this is a thread move.
    Yep, it was posted in health originally.

OP, click on the link to Fitness FAQ in my sig and have a read around the advice etc. You're probably eating too little. Do you exercise? I eat around 1,600 cals per day and then burn a couple of hundred off to lose weight, and that's working well for me.

You can't gain 3lbs from eating pizza and cake, however junk food can make you retain water, which might be what happened to you. You should find that this comes off when you stop eating junk and make healthier choices. I "gained" 3lbs this past week because I was eating badly, but within two days of eating well again it came back off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is not physically possible. To put on 3 pounds in one day you would need to have eaten 10500 calories ON TOP of your normal about of calories in a single day.

Weight loss is simple: Eat less, eat right, move more, move right.

If you eat a couple of hundred calories less than your body requires you to eat to maintain weight, and eat the foods that you know are healthy while avoiding foods you know are unhealthy, and follow a fitness program (see couch to 5k) and follow the program religiously, putting in max effort every run. You will lose weight, 1pound a week, 2 pounds a week, or maybe less than one pound, but you will lose it.

You will not lose weight by crying on this forum, so get healthy, get educated and get active. Good luck, have fun.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.