Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

sore hips?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

My right hip is very painful for a few days every few months.
    I have been to the doctors before and he recommended that I go to hospital for an x-ray. It came out clear and they said that there was nothing wrong.
    That was a few years ago but it still gets very painful.
    Any one else experienced anything like this? Could it be anything that an x-ray wouldn't show?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? It could be pain associated with growing. I am hyperflexible in all of my joints and got excruciating pain in my hips which would last for anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. It has calmed down since I've got older and stronger and don't do stupid things like show my friends how far I can bend my hip before it pops out! :eek:

Or you could have strained something which only gives you pain when you do certain movements, I remember getting the pain regularly at one point and I worked out that it was the dressage saddle I was borrowing for my weekly dressage lesson. I used my normal saddle and it didn't come back for quite a while. The possibilities are endless, but if you are really worried then as always go and see your GP.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had really painful hips and it turned out I had very low levels of vitamin D. It was just a quick blood test and now I take a tablet each day. Just something to consider anyway.

I'm 22 and I've always been quite small so I don't think it is to do with growing.
    Perhaps I am low on vitamins, I might get a blood test done thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    How old are you? It could be pain associated with growing. I am hyperflexible in all of my joints and got excruciating pain in my hips which would last for anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. It has calmed down since I've got older and stronger and don't do stupid things like show my friends how far I can bend my hip before it pops out! :eek:

Or you could have strained something which only gives you pain when you do certain movements, I remember getting the pain regularly at one point and I worked out that it was the dressage saddle I was borrowing for my weekly dressage lesson. I used my normal saddle and it didn't come back for quite a while. The possibilities are endless, but if you are really worried then as always go and see your GP.
    I also have hyper laxity in the joints, I used to dance but had to give it up as I didn't get this sorted out. I remember going to the hospital 4 times a week and getting told it was all in my head or that I pulled a muscle but finally I got an MRI. The MRI came through as clear but about a year later I went back to dancing and collapsed. A doctor looked at my MRI and said there was a lump on my hip on the MRI, when I said I've never been told about it, he quickly clasped his mouth and went and checked I knew the date etc. If in doubt about anything ask for a second opinion

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Direct15)
    I also have hyper laxity in the joints, I used to dance but had to give it up as I didn't get this sorted out. I remember going to the hospital 4 times a week and getting told it was all in my head or that I pulled a muscle but finally I got an MRI. The MRI came through as clear but about a year later I went back to dancing and collapsed. A doctor looked at my MRI and said there was a lump on my hip on the MRI, when I said I've never been told about it, he quickly clasped his mouth and went and checked I knew the date etc. If in doubt about anything ask for a second opinion

Oh my god I know, you are preaching to the converted! I have had other health problems too but a lot of my pains seem to basically stem from my hyper flexibility or -laxity which ever you want to call it. (seems to have changed since I was originally diagnosed) But whenever I have had a problem and finally found a decent consultant who has re-diagnosed the hyper-laxity and treated me as such it has always cured me!

Fingers crossed for this time because it seems much worse, right now I have De Quervain's tendonitis, ganglion cysts (multiple) and laxity in the ligaments on the back of both hands causing me all kinds of problems. Nobody ever diagnosed this before so fingers crossed this consultant may be able to actually help me!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god I know, you are preaching to the converted! I have had other health problems too but a lot of my pains seem to basically stem from my hyper flexibility or -laxity which ever you want to call it. (seems to have changed since I was originally diagnosed) But whenever I have had a problem and finally found a decent consultant who has re-diagnosed the hyper-laxity and treated me as such it has always cured me!

Fingers crossed for this time because it seems much worse, right now I have De Quervain's tendonitis, ganglion cysts (multiple) and laxity in the ligaments on the back of both hands causing me all kinds of problems. Nobody ever diagnosed this before so fingers crossed this consultant may be able to actually help me!

I was shocked to find this out, all the months of being unable to walk, run or pick up tv controls without pain. I now have (primary) raynaud's : woohoo : but I was checked for other autoimmune disease such as lupus but I had to go to the doctors as I had high bp 179/90 but they did not now I had a class test.

Laxity in my shoulders,back,pelvis,hips,knees and ankles - no clue in the future how I'll have kids

Thing is my school thought I was making this to get out of pe

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Direct15)
    I was shocked to find this out, all the months of being unable to walk, run or pick up tv controls without pain. I now have (primary) raynaud's - clearly thrilled - but I was checked for other autoimmune disease such as lupus but I had to go to the doctors as I had high bp 179/90 but they did not now I had a class test.

Laxity in my shoulders,back,pelvis,hips,knees and ankles - no clue in the future how I'll have kids

Thing is my school thought I was making this to get out of pe

Has the OP found any solutions?

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am also slightly hyper-flexible/laxed/mobile which has also cause me joint problems, particularly my knees. In turn this caused me to walk funny which I think has cause hip pain, but that is possibly just the hyper-whatever you like to call it too. It took me many trips to the gp for them to do anything, which resulted in x-rays. When my mum phoned up the doctors a week or so later as was requested, a doctor told her warily that one of my knees was pretty normal and the other, hmmmm, well its all ok you dont need to come back - or something along those lines - but she protested and got the appointment with my actual GP as she was instructed to do in the first place who referred me to phisio, which I attended for a number of months. This really really helped with my knee pain, but not so much with my hips. Even then, no one every told me I was hypermobile - it took a pediatrist (WTF) to finally comment on it!

Anyway, you just have to keep bothering your GP until (s)he does something to help, which can be quite laborious as they tend to think you are just exaggerating.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..lauren)
    I am also slightly hyper-flexible/laxed/mobile which has also cause me joint problems, particularly my knees. In turn this caused me to walk funny which I think has cause hip pain, but that is possibly just the hyper-whatever you like to call it too. It took me many trips to the gp for them to do anything, which resulted in x-rays. When my mum phoned up the doctors a week or so later as was requested, a doctor told her warily that one of my knees was pretty normal and the other, hmmmm, well its all ok you dont need to come back - or something along those lines - but she protested and got the appointment with my actual GP as she was instructed to do in the first place who referred me to phisio, which I attended for a number of months. This really really helped with my knee pain, but not so much with my hips. Even then, no one every told me I was hypermobile - it took a pediatrist (WTF) to finally comment on it!

Anyway, you just have to keep bothering your GP until (s)he does something to help, which can be quite laborious as they tend to think you are just exaggerating.
    How weird it was a chiropodist who first commented on how flexible my ankles were before I was diagnosed by anyone! :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 22 and I've always been quite small so I don't think it is to do with growing.
    Perhaps I am low on vitamins, I might get a blood test done thanks!
    Do you think it could be your hip flexors? I also have pain in my hips but have just had an op sp can't exercise but when I get better Im going to try to strengthen my hip flexors
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How weird it was a chiropodist who first commented on how flexible my ankles were before I was diagnosed by anyone! :confused:
    Feet doctors know what they're talking about! So many GP appointments and the best part of a year of phisio and it was a pediatrist a year later...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 2, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.