Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Off to Italy - Help pls

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys Im off to italy for some weeks and will be staying outside milano.
    can anyone recommend cheap and quick ways to visit the neighbouring cities like : rome + florence + venice etc from milan.

Ive searched online but no luck. Maybe an italian cud help

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanksss
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The north has pretty good coach links and obviously Rome will so search for those. Bologna is certainly worth a visit as well
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can take a train from Milan from Venice, look into this - it shouldn't cost much - my friend did this I didn't though as we ran out of time.

I think there aren't really cheap and fast ways to get to Rome/Florence from Milan. We did a trip from Milan, Rome, Florence, Cinque terre in Italy last year. We bought an interrail 4 or 5 days in a month or something, which allowed us to sit on the Eurostar (italia) which meant going from Milan to Rome was something like 2-3hours instead of the 6/7 hours by standard train or something. You can google this quite simply . From Rome we used our pass to travel to Florence + pisa, then travelled to Cinque Terre and back to Milan. Used up the 4/5 days pass we got, it cost about £90, I can't remember why we didn't buy the journeys seperately, perhaps t he Milan-Rome one cost quite a bit thats why and we did a far bit of travelling.

Hope my mumble jumble makes sense, feel free to ask anything if not clear
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    verona, brescia, bergamo, the lakes and their towns are all close.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going to Italy...lucky bastard...

Hope you enjoy it, i plan to visit this year i hope.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolpix500)
    Hey guys Im off to italy for some weeks and will be staying outside milano.
    can anyone recommend cheap and quick ways to visit the neighbouring cities like : rome + florence + venice etc from milan.

Ive searched online but no luck. Maybe an italian cud help

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanksss
    Whenever I've been in Italy, I've used the trains - they are extremely cheap so long as you use the regional trains (journeys of over an hour can cost as little as 4 euros) and you can usually always find a seat as they are very long and have two floors, so there are plenty of seats.

Here is the site: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

(don't bother booking online though, the easiest way is to go to the stations in Milan and buy the tickets from a vending machine (there is an English language option)

Venice and Rome will be long journeys, if you're staying in Milan, I'd recommend taking a train to Lake Como, which is about an hour away, then spending a day on the lakes there, perhaps also visit the swiss city of Lugano (20 mins from Como).
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from Milan and Venice last week, the train I booked from Milan to Venice which is just under 3 hours only cost 9 euros each way so I have to admit the trains are the cheapest way I've found.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 3, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.