Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MS have got it right IMO

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    www.outlook.com

What a lovely (if not surprising) change to Hotmail! Nice, clean interface, easy to navigate, everything where it should be. Well done MS. :thumbsup:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    www.outlook.com

What a lovely (if not surprising) change to Hotmail! Nice, clean interface, easy to navigate, everything where it should be. Well done MS. :thumbsup:
    Except it's mandatory to put in contact details. Aren't you bothered about your privacy?
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviant)
    Except it's mandatory to put in contact details. Aren't you bothered about your privacy?
    Can't say I've had that as an issue. I refuse to give them an alternative email address or my phone number, despite them asking a fair bit! :lol:
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    www.outlook.com

It looked like Hotmail earlier today, now it's changed
    Now my email @hotmail is stupid
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviant)
    Your privacy is going to be compromised more quickly by browsing sites without noscript than giving contact details to Microsoft for a clearly defined purpose.

Even without noscript, it's pretty easy to track browsing habits etc.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Google Mail.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks nice.

Probably won't change over from Gmail since I don't really see any reason to and all my contacts etc are on there, but it looks a lot better than hotmail.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All gearing up for the Windows 8 launch I see.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Your privacy is going to be compromised more quickly by browsing sites without noscript than giving contact details to Microsoft for a clearly defined purpose.

Even without noscript, it's pretty easy to track browsing habits etc.
    Yeah, but things like gmail, facebook, and now this have all your browsing data linked to your name, address and MAC address. Call me paranoid but I don't think that's a good thing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had a look at this yesterday morning and I didn't really like it. IMO Gmail has a much nicer UI so that is where I will be staying for the foreseeable future.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it. I rarely use my hotmail anyway - it's not my first email - but I still check it every few days.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would I want to migrate several years worth of emails from gmail to what is effectively hotmail with a shiny interface? Gmail works, it syncs my email/contacts/calendar to my mobile devices. Apparently they won't support the IMAP protocol which is probably one of the better ways of getting email to multiple devices and keeping them in sync! Which means that I'll never even consider using it at all.

Microsoft won't scan your emails to serve ads? They'll send ads anyway, they just won't be as targeted. If I'm going to see ads, they might as well be relevant! If I was actually worried about this, I certainly wouldn't be using any free online web mail provider at all... Microsoft, Google, it's all the same really!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the new look

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 2, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.