Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Money, Society and deep-thinkers

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a numerous amount of question's that I'd love to hear TSR's view on.
    They're quite deep, philosophical, but I hope you don't mind,

Do you care, truly, about life and others around you? Do you worry, and constantly consider, what you can do you benefit those around you?
    Do you believe that those that care are in a minority of society? That many do not embrace caring beyond oneself?
    Does society push individuals to conform to the majority view, and does it push the nonconformists out further?
    Does one have to be flexible to be accepted into society? Are those cast aside from the "mainstream," within the assumption that you stick your core belief, mentally the strongest or the weakest?
    Do you stick to your true self? Has an experience ever pushed you away from the core outwards, away from your original self?
    There's a famous saying that we are born original, and die a copy - do you abide by this? Even if it means being unwelcome?

If by the end of your life you had a happy family, good friends and money in bank to sustain the family after you are gone, would you be happy?
    Do you strive for more than this? If so, what?

Do you truly embrace the notion of legacy? To believe something greater than yourself? To leave behind a legacy? I'm not just talking in the context of definition, but the true, stuck-to-your-soul, meaning of legacy.

Are we a society with few intellectually-deep thinkings? Are those that "think different' self-restricting or the most liberating?
    Do you find "free-thinkers" the most interesting people to be around with?
    Do you find that raw intellect shown by academia is not one that necessarily correlates to depth in thought of life?

To change the world do you believe we must be flexible to the mainstream, or stick to our core beliefs and live through the judgement we face from the majority?

Society, I feel, judges wrongly. And only those that thought differently were ones that changed the world. They were never fond of rules and what society thought of them, even if conscious to them. Do you agree with this notion? And can society become more accommodating?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anradu)
    Do you care, truly, about life and others around you? Do you worry, and constantly consider, what you can do you benefit those around you?
    Absolutely, I've always considered myself a pleaser when it comes to people. Still have to figure out the best way I can make my contribution to society however.

Do you believe that those that care are in a minority of society? That many do not embrace caring beyond oneself?

To me it feels like compassion in society is increasingly more about the emotional reward to doing something charitable, rather than if you truly did make a difference. The Kony 2012 meme (yes, I do feel it should be considered a meme, it came and went in like a week) is a perfect example of this. Plenty of people bought into the idea, bought some ****ty gift package, the company gave a small chunk of the overall donations and donated it to Ugandas dictatorship and that was that. Still waiting for someone to say "Hey, did we ever get that guy?" (hint: nobody will)

Does society push individuals to conform to the majority view, and does it push the nonconformists out further?
    Absolutely.
    Does one have to be flexible to be accepted into society? Are those cast aside from the "mainstream," within the assumption that you stick your core belief, mentally the strongest or the weakest?
    If you're not used to the culture, or had different values, yes. I'd say the second question depends on the context, as morality definitely would play a role.

Do you stick to your true self? Has an experience ever pushed you away from the core outwards, away from your original self?
    I'd like to say that yes, I do try to live my life true. However, we are never who we used to be. Life experiences can change people's personality so drastically that I don't believe that anyone would be the same person who they are now if they had lived a different life.

There's a famous saying that we are born original, and die a copy - do you abide by this? Even if it means being unwelcome?
    I try to live my life rationally, moral, and the way I desire. As long as those three are maintained, either one makes no difference.

If by the end of your life you had a happy family, good friends and money in bank to sustain the family after you are gone, would you be happy?
    Do you strive for more than this? If so, what?
    At this time in my life I don't intend to have children, so I guess that would be a yes to striving for more. To make some sort of impact on science would be a good outcome, however at this moment I can't exactly say what it is that I want to get out of this thing called life.

Do you truly embrace the notion of legacy? To believe something greater than yourself? To leave behind a legacy? I'm not just talking in the context of definition, but the true, stuck-to-your-soul, meaning of legacy.
    The last question kind of answers this as well. Although leaving behind a true, built from scratch legacy is pretty damn- near impossible nowadays.

Are we a society with few intellectually-deep thinkings? Are those that "think different' self-restricting or the most liberating?
    Do you find "free-thinkers" the most interesting people to be around with?
    Do you find that raw intellect shown by academia is not one that necessarily correlates to depth in thought of life?
    I'd say yes, popular culture is completely void of intellectual insights, just big tits. And I wouldn't stick all free/ self thinkers all in one basket. I'd for sure say that NWO believers definitely self- restrict themselves. Lastly, that's a yes. Academia opens the doors for deeper philosophical thinking, that doesn't mean you'll walk in.
    Typing here to get the minimum text requirement. Except I'm sure that I'm far past it, so I guess I should stop typing here.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 2, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.