The Student Room Group

I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iron Lady
If I had to, I wouldn't mind working a minimum wage job as long as it kept food on the table and bills paid. I would certainly want this to be short term as I am more ambitious but at the same time I wouldn't expect taxpayers to fund my lifestyle. The only time I change my perspective is if the family/individual in question contributed to tax and a min. wage job wouldn't be enough.

Employees' lives don't surround around their job. They just have to go in, do the work, come home and do what they like to do in their free time. I find it silly when people are rude about cleaners/shop assistants/ etc. because they perform worthwhile jobs and the recession has proved it can happen to anyone. Hence why I think the attitude 'a job's a job' has been more evident in the last four years.

I see your point, but you're being a bit too cynical towards owners when they're not really that bad!

I wouldn't call my viewpoint cynical.

I'd rather government money go toward subsidising people working minimum wage and struggling to make ends meet than bailing out the banks. If a minimum wage job isn't enough to lead a comfortable life that is surely the fault of the market/economy and not the individual.

The attitude of a 'jobs a job' is people shooting themselves in the foot. I had a Christmas job for where none of us were getting paid. The week before xmas we had enough and downed tools so to speak. Unbelievably there were still people working, one man saying to me "I'm here to work". I said, you're here to get paid to work, stand up for yourself and come to the canteen with us; to which he shrugged his shoulders and carried on being a good little worker. That's society in the UK today I'm afraid. Sit down and take it like a bitch. Following day they paid us in cash (Tax deductions taken care of ofc), said bloke was first in the queue :rolleyes:
Reply 461
Original post by original_username
I wouldn't call my viewpoint cynical.

I'd rather government money go toward subsidising people working minimum wage and struggling to make ends meet than bailing out the banks. If a minimum wage job isn't enough to lead a comfortable life that is surely the fault of the market/economy and not the individual.

The attitude of a 'jobs a job' is people shooting themselves in the foot. I had a Christmas job for where none of us were getting paid. The week before xmas we had enough and downed tools so to speak. Unbelievably there were still people working, one man saying to me "I'm here to work". I said, you're here to get paid to work, stand up for yourself and come to the canteen with us; to which he shrugged his shoulders and carried on being a good little worker. That's society in the UK today I'm afraid. Sit down and take it like a bitch. Following day they paid us in cash (Tax deductions taken care of ofc), said bloke was first in the queue :rolleyes:

I'd rather have that than people unnecessarily disobeying authority.

Karma. :h:
I too am sick and tired of looking for jobs. I'm wondering what I can realistically do with a Computer Games Production degree. -_-
I'd rather have that than people unnecessarily disobeying authority.

Karma. :h:

It was completely necessary.
Reply 464
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
I struggled to find a job during my gap year, but I earn £10 an hour now. Don't give up hope.

What are you doing to earn £10 an hour?

Original post by sassy123
Been reading this thread it I thought it was just me that was sick of it.I have been looking at Apprenticeships and no luck no matter how good my application is.I keep hearing people getting jobs i suppose i will just have to keep trying.

What's your grades like sometimes they reject applications for being "overqualified".

If I had to, I wouldn't mind working a minimum wage job as long as it kept food on the table and bills paid. I would certainly want this to be short term as I am more ambitious but at the same time I wouldn't expect taxpayers to fund my lifestyle. The only time I change my perspective is if the family/individual in question contributed to tax and a min. wage job wouldn't be enough.

Employees' lives don't surround around their job. They just have to go in, do the work, come home and do what they like to do in their free time. I find it silly when people are rude about cleaners/shop assistants/ etc. because they perform worthwhile jobs and the recession has proved it can happen to anyone. Hence why I think the attitude 'a job's a job' has been more evident in the last four years.

I see your point, but you're being a bit too cynical towards owners when they're not really that bad!

I don't think minimum jobs necessarily equals food on the table and bills paid. It depends on the number of hours work cost of getting to work and back etc all need to be taken into considerations.

Employees lives have to fit around their job especially for jobs such as retail where you're pretty much the employers little bitch for lack of a better word. For example take my interview with M&S yesterday I got asked how flexible I am and because the interviewer was nice she told me to take into consideration the more flexible I am the more likely I'll get the job. So I said I'm completely flexible.
Original post by . .

I monitor people.
Reply 466
Original post by . .

What's your grades like sometimes they reject applications for being "overqualified".

I don't think minimum jobs necessarily equals food on the table and bills paid. It depends on the number of hours work cost of getting to work and back etc all need to be taken into considerations.

Employees lives have to fit around their job especially for jobs such as retail where you're pretty much the employers little bitch for lack of a better word. For example take my interview with M&S yesterday I got asked how flexible I am and because the interviewer was nice she told me to take into consideration the more flexible I am the more likely I'll get the job. So I said I'm completely flexible.

My point is too many people want more than the basic necessities. All we really need are clothes, water, shelter and food. Some leisure activities are nice and will pass the hours, but that's not the responsibility of the government, or the employer, who just wants to provide a service.
Reply 467
My point is too many people want more than the basic necessities. All we really need are clothes, water, shelter and food. Some leisure activities are nice and will pass the hours, but that's not the responsibility of the government, or the employer, who just wants to provide a service.

Wait this is coming from a Thatcher worshipper?
Reply 468
Original post by . .
Wait this is coming from a Thatcher worshipper?

The focus is on the word 'need'.

Why should I have to fund someone else's lifestyle through taxes?
Reply 469
F**king tired of looking for job myself too i feel like giving up also recently homeless... sigh.
Everyday i see jobs i can do, done by morons
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah, I wouldn't hire you either.
Reply 471
Original post by CallieCat
Yeah, I wouldn't hire you either.

Good to know.
I have spent since May applying for every job under the sun for summer, got rejected from all of them or ignored or rejected after interview (I only got one interview). Rejected from places like Tesco, ASDA, pubs, Endsleigh etc..

Walked into my local chippy about a month ago, I have worked there previously and got a part time job on the spot. Still there now and will be till September which my boss doesn't mind about. Just shows the only way I could have got a job for summer is if I knew the employer :/ wasted so much time applying for other jobs!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 473
Original post by G-Hova
F**king tired of looking for job myself too i feel like giving up also recently homeless... sigh.
Everyday i see jobs i can do, done by morons

I think this really sums it up; so many skilled people without work, yet so many complete fools earning lots of money. You have to laugh at the situation when you see so many useless, rude, incompetent fools who have jobs. The whole thing is just a joke right now, and there isn't really a way out. Life just isn't fair, and life is just one big disappointment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 474
Shame I got an Olympic job for a short term until September but I could not take it due to where I am right now in a flipping hostel and another job for a start up magazine employer trying not to pay me, still haven't paid me for a month wasted.
If any one know of any graphic design or design related field jobs pm me.

Who do i have to kill or sleep with...joking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by . .
Just come back from my interview I passed. They will get back to me in the next couple of days to see whether they want to take me or not as a couple of others have passed the interview today too and they will look over them.

Good luck, I hope you get it! I had an M+S interview on Wednesday and was offered the job. So relieved as I am a recent graduate and couldn't find any graduate jobs - I left it too late after deciding not to do a PGCE because my heart wasn't really in it. Very confused about the direction I want my life to go in so this job will give me some thinking time! Considering saving for a master's degree now.

I really liked Marks and Spencer's method of staff selection - no experience needed to get the interview, and then all you needed to do was demonstrate good customer service skills in the role play. It's nice to know that some companies at least are giving people without years of experience a chance.
Reply 476
Original post by *Boofle*
Good luck, I hope you get it! I had an M+S interview on Wednesday and was offered the job. So relieved as I am a recent graduate and couldn't find any graduate jobs - I left it too late after deciding not to do a PGCE because my heart wasn't really in it. Very confused about the direction I want my life to go in so this job will give me some thinking time! Considering saving for a master's degree now.

I really liked Marks and Spencer's method of staff selection - no experience needed to get the interview, and then all you needed to do was demonstrate good customer service skills in the role play. It's nice to know that some companies at least are giving people without years of experience a chance.

How long did it take you to receive a reply after the interview?

I did too but I've probably messed it up as I told them I "may" be going university depending on my grades. I didn't want to lie straight to their face.
Original post by . .
How long did it take you to receive a reply after the interview?

I did too but I've probably messed it up as I told them I "may" be going university depending on my grades. I didn't want to lie straight to their face.

They told me at the interview that I'd got the job, but I wouldn't worry, I've known other people who have been successful at an interview with M&S who were informed a couple of days later.

If you aren't successful, try Gumtree jobs for your city if you haven't already. There are a lot of questionable jobs on there but also a lot of genuine ones from well-known companies and short term work from smaller businesses is often available too.

This has to be my all-time favourite vacancy: http://www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/drivers-for-paranormal-events/107045792 :biggrin:
I know and have seen so many people that work for reputable IT companies earning £20k+ wages yet have no degree qualifications, A-Levels, poor GCSE grades and fulfill few of the requirements of the role. Makes me feel like I have wasted all my time that I invested in a degree and independent learning. I thought it was relatively easy to get a job in London though I may just have to try a little harder...or elsewhere! :frown:
Original post by Swindon
x

How did the interview go? Hope you did well - mine was very bizarre haha. I had to walk around critiquing the store, staff and displays :s-smilie: she said I'd get a call monday or tuesday though :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending