Original post by Frey
This thread has died! :cry:

Let's resurrect it. :woo:

TSR trip to Oxford? :tongue: :woo:
Reply 2561
Original post by KingMessi
Let's resurrect it. :woo:

TSR trip to Oxford? :tongue: :woo:

Me can't come.. have to wait till October :frown: Need to also figure out how the hell I'm going to pay for all my books (damned joint degree) ahhh, bursary time! :frown:
Original post by Frey
Me can't come.. have to wait till October :frown: Need to also figure out how the hell I'm going to pay for all my books (damned joint degree) ahhh, bursary time! :frown:

Oh, that's a shame. :frown: Well, it'll make it all the more sweeter when you finally arrive...

Well, do you have to buy all of them? Can you not take some out from the amazing Bodleian?

Good luck with the Bursary...:smile:
Can you not take some out from the amazing Bodleian?
You can't (as things currently stand) borrow books from the Bodleian... but it's true there are lots of other libraries that should mean not having to buy all our books!
Original post by fluteflute
You can't (as things currently stand) borrow books from the Bodleian... but it's true there are lots of other libraries that should mean not having to buy all our books!

My bad. :erm: :getmecoat: My point still stands, though. :tongue: :lol:

Have you been doing any preparation for October?
Have you been doing any preparation for October?
No :tongue:

Arguably we should be making the most of our last holiday without Oxford work hanging over us...

Though maybe the sudden occurrence of results day will encourage me to do something. Although more likely, as I'm kinda busy, I won't.
Original post by fluteflute
No :tongue:

Arguably we should be making the most of our last holiday without Oxford work hanging over us...

Though maybe the sudden occurrence of results day will encourage me to do something. Although more likely, as I'm kinda busy, I won't.

Fair enough. That's a pretty good argument, I believe.

I just feel as though doing nothing is setting me up for abject failure. :erm:
Jack, I love how distinctive your writing style is :yes:
I've been studying :getmecoat: old habits and all that. Until this week virtually no progress but now I'm really making headway. It's slower than it could be because I'm writing down all the new words I learn :tongue:

What else has everyone been doing with their unlimited time? I'm genuinely interested :h:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by such_a_lady
Jack, I love how distinctive your writing style is :yes:
I've been studying :getmecoat: old habits and all that. Until this week virtually no progress but now I'm really making headway. It's slower than it could be because I'm writing down all the new words I learn :tongue:

What else has everyone been doing with their unlimited time? I'm genuinely interested :h:

Oh, thank you. :colondollar: :redface:

How's the studying been going? Do you have a reading list? I am trying to do the same but fluctuate.

I've been reading, though I haven't made much headway because of my Olympic obsession. I've also been trying to get fit; some days I've been training twice a day...
Oh, thank you. :colondollar: :redface:

How's the studying been going? Do you have a reading list? I am trying to do the same but fluctuate.

I've been reading, though I haven't made much headway because of my Olympic obsession. I've also been trying to get fit; some days I've been training twice a day...

"get" fit?!?! "get"?!? Aren't you like the sportiest person I know?!?

Okay my best is three times a week. Not because I'm lazy but because of other things like work and family and injury. This is, however, the first time I've ever WILLINGLY done exercise, and so far it's going pretty well, I think. Why is it that you're sporty AND intellectual AND nice AND successful AND good looking etc? Surely you're missing something? Everyone's got to have SOMETHING wrong with them (or maybe you're like Bella and Ana whose greatest character flaw is clumsiness :redface:)

What are you reading? I really want to read Alain du Botton's "Essays in Love" (or "Versuch über die Liebe"), having read the first three chapters in English and the sixteenth in German. Would definitely recommend.

I have two massive reading lists and am worried about the consequences of not finishing them, especially the Spanish one which specifies that I have to have read List A by October :erm: Right now I'm reading the original German of "Spring Awakening" and thoroughly enjoying it :redface: I need to get a move on though :erm:

The closer we get to D-Day, the more I'm terrified I've failed it. I'm going to look like such a tit if I miss my offer :sigh:

"get" fit?!?! "get"?!? Aren't you like the sportiest person I know?!?

Okay my best is three times a week. Not because I'm lazy but because of other things like work and family and injury. This is, however, the first time I've ever WILLINGLY done exercise, and so far it's going pretty well, I think. Why is it that you're sporty AND intellectual AND nice AND successful AND good looking etc? Surely you're missing something? Everyone's got to have SOMETHING wrong with them (or maybe you're like Bella and Ana whose greatest character flaw is clumsiness :redface:)

What are you reading? I really want to read Alain du Botton's "Essays in Love" (or "Versuch über die Liebe"), having read the first three chapters in English and the sixteenth in German. Would definitely recommend.

I have two massive reading lists and am worried about the consequences of not finishing them, especially the Spanish one which specifies that I have to have read List A by October :erm: Right now I'm reading the original German of "Spring Awakening" and thoroughly enjoying it :redface: I need to get a move on though :erm:

Ha, I don't know how sporty the people you know are. I'm in good form at the moment, but if I'm going to stand a chance of success at uni I still need to make gigantic improvements. So that's taking up a lot of my time. :smile:

What sort of thing do you do? Are you training for anything in particular or is it a health and wellbeing thing? Regardless, I'm glad that it's going well. It becomes very addictive, trust me. :smile:

:lol: :confused: I'm extremely flattered that you think so..:colondollar: Hmm, I'm dubious. I think that a lot of those things come down to luck of situation and hard work more than anything else in all honesty. In any case I'd question a couple of those adjectives you've thrown my way, but I don't think that I can discuss character traits without sounding self-absorbed - rather like Bella and Ana. :tongue: (Ironically I actually am pretty malcoordinated; I was persuaded to do a House Dance competition at my school once and it did not end well. :getmecoat: Plus Ana isn't that clever. As you correctly pointed out, she doesn't know what she's doing after her - extremely imminent - graduation and doesn't know why she's doing ninety percent of the things she does. :lolwut: )

I'm currently on 'Paradise Lost' as I've only read one book and it seems that if there are canonical texts that one must read prior to an English Literature degree, that's one of them. You seem to be far better read than I am. :erm: This causes my panic with regards to October.

How long is each reading list? Are you able to speed reed? That seems to be my greatest issue and one that I need to try and rectify by October. I, like you, need to get a move on.
Ha, I don't know how sporty the people you know are. I'm in good form at the moment, but if I'm going to stand a chance of success at uni I still need to make gigantic improvements. So that's taking up a lot of my time. :smile:

What sort of thing do you do? Are you training for anything in particular or is it a health and wellbeing thing? Regardless, I'm glad that it's going well. It becomes very addictive, trust me. :smile:

:lol: :confused: I'm extremely flattered that you think so..:colondollar: Hmm, I'm dubious. I think that a lot of those things come down to luck of situation and hard work more than anything else in all honesty. In any case I'd question a couple of those adjectives you've thrown my way, but I don't think that I can discuss character traits without sounding self-absorbed - rather like Bella and Ana. :tongue: (Ironically I actually am pretty malcoordinated; I was persuaded to do a House Dance competition at my school once and it did not end well. :getmecoat: Plus Ana isn't that clever. As you correctly pointed out, she doesn't know what she's doing after her - extremely imminent - graduation and doesn't know why she's doing ninety percent of the things she does. :lolwut: )

I'm currently on 'Paradise Lost' as I've only read one book and it seems that if there are canonical texts that one must read prior to an English Literature degree, that's one of them. You seem to be far better read than I am. :erm: This causes my panic with regards to October.

How long is each reading list? Are you able to speed reed? That seems to be my greatest issue and one that I need to try and rectify by October. I, like you, need to get a move on.

Oh okay are you planning on reaching university level teams? And mine's just for lowering the risk of disease and not fitting into my clothes :wink: I joke, I really want to build up muscle strength and just generally have a healthy heart :redface: plus boyfriend has suddenly grown muscles since returning to the gym a few months ago and he's been telling me I should exercise for the health benefits etc. additionally, if it becomes part of my lifestyle now, it'll be easier to keep it up next year.

With regards to Bella and anastasia, I meant from the authors' perspective :wink: (ie oh look here's a conveniently pleasant character flaw to stop my self insert being TOO perfect)

I can speed read. I speed read The Descendants today (don't bother). Speed reading in another language, however, is not an option. Especially when that language is Spanish. :no:

You don't need to go into details here, but have you sorted arrangements for your imminent LDR or are you going to play it by ear?

Oh okay are you planning on reaching university level teams? And mine's just for lowering the risk of disease and not fitting into my clothes :wink: I joke, I really want to build up muscle strength and just generally have a healthy heart :redface: plus boyfriend has suddenly grown muscles since returning to the gym a few months ago and he's been telling me I should exercise for the health benefits etc. additionally, if it becomes part of my lifestyle now, it'll be easier to keep it up next year.

I won't reach university level, but I'm going to give it my damned best go - hence all the training. :lol: Those would be perfectly valid reasons. Ha, does he just do weights or is he into the cardiovascular part of it? This is true - and it's such a good distraction when things get tough with regards to work.

With regards to Bella and anastasia, I meant from the authors' perspective :wink: (ie oh look here's a conveniently pleasant character flaw to stop my self insert being TOO perfect)

:lol: Fair enough. I just don't get it - I'm going to credit the authors with the assumption that they've read something of merit. In any classic book - or indeed in any book worth being noteworthy - the character flaws are real, substantial and actually affect their ability to achieve their aims or resolve the plot. So why do they insist upon creating the most nebulous, inconsequential character flaws when it comes to writing their own novel? :banghead:

I can speed read. I speed read The Descendants today (don't bother). Speed reading in another language, however, is not an option. Especially when that language is Spanish. :no:

You don't need to go into details here, but have you sorted arrangements for your imminent LDR or are you going to play it by ear?

Lucky you. :sigh: It was a disappointing read, then? I can imagine - I find speed-reading in my own language hard enough.

Well - we're going to try and do our best, and have thus made arrangements for regular visits but in all honesty I know how hard she found it this year and I don't know how I'm going to feel being so far away for so long. If it gets difficult there's little point in being in a relationship that both people find unsatisfactory, no? Perhaps that's just the cynic in me. As I say, we'll do our best and make sure we do everything we can to keep it going.
Reply 2574
Original post by Frey
This thread has died! :cry:

No.....this is just the calm before the storm....in the run-up to results day people will start checking back in; on results day there will be a *ton* of postings. They will be mostly happy, a few confused when Oxford posts later than the other unis, and a very very tiny number of disappointed people.

Then a few days later Zoe duck duck will morph this thread one more time: no longer "Oxford applicants 2012 (I-IV) or "I've got an interview!" or "I've got an Offer!", it will become

OXFORD FRESHERS 2012

...and yes, you will still be a part of it!
The closer we get to D-Day, the more I'm terrified I've failed it. I'm going to look like such a tit if I miss my offer :sigh:

I've been feeling like this since the 12th of June. That's right, I count days, don't worry, you can't sustain this level of intensity for long, I've already reached stage 5: passive resignation. No doubt in a couple of days I will be back to stage 3 or 4: active anticipation, and then stage 1: pre-Result's day panic :cool:

Original post by DCDude
No.....this is just the calm before the storm....in the run-up to results day people will start checking back in; on results day there will be a *ton* of postings. They will be mostly happy, a few confused when Oxford posts later than the other unis, and a very very tiny number of disappointed people.
Then a few days later Zoe duck duck will morph this thread one more time: no longer "Oxford applicants 2012 (I-IV) or "I've got an interview!" or "I've got an Offer!", it will become

OXFORD FRESHERS 2012

I agree with your post! (I'm also still placing myself in the above category though) I'm slightly happy that no one has actually posted on this thread since I've been away, I haven't even started looking at the official Result's Day thread again, I think that'll be a job for tomorrow :redface:

I haven't started any studying or (academic) reading yet. I'm still in a "there's no point in starting anything because it will be pointless" state of mind...who knows how long this will last :colonhash:

(e.g., until I get my first reading list from somewhere!)
Reply 2576
Original post by DCDude

OXFORD FRESHERS 2012

calm before the storm :teehee:

Can't wait :colondollar:
Reply 2577
Oh, that's a shame. :frown: Well, it'll make it all the more sweeter when you finally arrive...

Well, do you have to buy all of them? Can you not take some out from the amazing Bodleian?

Good luck with the Bursary...:smile:

I have to buy a lot of them; I need a lot of dictionaries/ grammars in particular (of course of which you probably want your own copy), plus the other propblem is since I'm doing quite unsuaual subjects (and a course lots of post grads do) there aren't a lot of books in the library cause they've all been taken out/ they don't have them (I've already had the St. John's librarian to get me a copy of Old Persian Grammar :P) sadness.... :frown:

the soul bursary :sexface:

p.s luckily I got my Sanskrit dictionay as a present from me folks; It's so awesome. It's A4 in size and looks just some some freaky black magick book, look! :teehee: http://www.printsasiaimages.com/852185681/1207A1200305hF6C5ki5.jpg http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbnid=Je8ax86KH1Hv8M:&imgrefurl=http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/9788120603691&docid=gScbMwfJ89RvCM&imgurl=http://www4.alibris-static.com/isbn/9788120603691.gif&w=190&h=187&ei=-hAeUKOPFc7Xsgb4oICYBw&zoom=1&biw=1659&bih=840
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah that dictionary isn't always the best you know, the etymologies are only marginally less ****ty than what you see in those German wortbuchs from times past. The basic OUP stuff (MacDonnel e al) are cheaper and easier on the eyes. For IE stuff there's no point trying to buy the up to date stuff unless you've got thousands lying around.

In that area the Taylorian and the Sackler are decent. The Bod is reference only and isn't as well equipped as it could be unfortunately. :frown:
Reply 2579
Original post by The Lyceum
Yeah that dictionary isn't always the best you know, the etymologies are only marginally less ****ty than what you see in those German wortbuchs from times past. The basic OUP stuff (MacDonnel e al) are cheaper and easier on the eyes. For IE stuff there's no point trying to buy the up to date stuff unless you've got thousands lying around.

In that area the Taylorian and the Sackler are decent. The Bod is reference only and isn't as well equipped as it could be unfortunately. :frown:

It's the one we will use for prelims/exams :tong: I don't need anything seriously badass yet :tongue:

Quick Reply