Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rejected for a student account!?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am with Natwest at the moment and I applied for a student account. I did it online and for some reason they didn't get it :rolleyes: So I sat over the phone and went through the application, didn't go for an overdraft because I'm not gonna bother unless I really need it. Got a letter back today reading:

'We're sorry but we can't help you at this time. As part of our responsibilities we carry out a number of standard checks when you send your application and unfortunately you don't meet the conditions needed for us to approve this'

Erm, I didn't ask for an overdraft? And my credit rating isn't bad anyway, what the actual hell? Has anyone else had this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the time these are automatically generated letters. If I were you I would phone them to find out what the reason for it being rejected was.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    NatWest are getting worse as far as student accounts go. They want £750 paid in every 6 months so they might have rejected it if you haven't paid in that prior to the upgrade request. Definitely ask them why though.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apply in branch. I had exactly the same problem with Santander, and in branch was SO much easier.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-x)
    NatWest are getting worse as far as student accounts go. They want £750 paid in every 6 months so they might have rejected it if you haven't paid in that prior to the upgrade request. Definitely ask them why though.

It has been like this for at least two years and if you receive student loans then this criteria is easily met.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to university for the first time in September? I've looked into getting a student account with NatWest and it seems I have to have proof of going to uni so something saying I have an unconditional offer. I don't know if that matters if you don't want the overdraft though.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    They did the same to me, went to Barclays instead

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation Z710e
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-x)

The terms are true yes, but, I presume that since results day is still over a week away, the OP doesn't have an unconditional offer.

OP you need to show them you have proof you're going to uni - ie, a letter from UCAS confirming that your offer is unconditional.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondie :))
    Are you going to university for the first time in September? I've looked into getting a student account with NatWest and it seems I have to have proof of going to uni so something saying I have an unconditional offer. I don't know if that matters if you don't want the overdraft though.
    Yeah, you need to show your UCAS letter to them BEFORE they will open up a student account.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some banks let you open a student account now, some will make you wait until you have a letter with an unconditional offer. Santander seemed happy with a letter from my uni saying I've accepted my conditional offer.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    HSBC will let you open your account before results day but other bank accounts require unconditional offers before they will open one.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    The way it worked for lloyds (I worked there so I have a wee bit extra knowledge) is that you could not apply for a student account on the phone or online this was due to the fact you have to show proof of being a student such as a SAAS letter or and unconditional letter from your uni/college. Once you've done that you've made the criteria and your standard account would be upgraded. I'd be surprised if it was different for natwest.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.