The Student Room Group

Have I caught HIV/herpes/aids?

Hi, please anon as this is embarrassing and I am sick to my stomach with worry.

Over the last two weeks, I have seen quite a few different people, who I ended up making out with (kissing only) - this was 7-10 days ago.

On Thursday, I got very drunk and arranged to meet a stranger online. We chatted and kissed a bit, I ended up giving him a hand and blow job. He came, but onto the floor, I didn't have any contact with semen or blood. We didn't have sex either.

The next morning (about 10 hours later) I notice that my glands are slightly swollen. The very corners of my mouth have very tiny little spots that are crusty and dry.

Is this just a coincidence? Would an STD take longer to show? What I mean is, could I have caught something from all the non-sexual making out I was doing 10 days ago, or could it be from the sexual contact I had the day before these mild symptoms showed up?
Reply 1
Could just be a coincidence or you could have contracted something from the kissing/bj but it's certainly not HIV or AIDS, afaik they take several weeks to show up...
Original post by Anonymous
x

If there has been no contact between you and his semen/ blood, then the chances you've contracting HIV are slim. As for AIDs, you can't contract that unless you are already HIV positive. I think you should probably go to a GP or sexual health clinic if you are unsure if you have an STI though, they'll be able to give you more accurate information than anybody on here can. And don't be embarrassed as, chances are, they have seen far worse.
Reply 3
Hi, please anon as this is embarrassing and I am sick to my stomach with worry.

Over the last two weeks, I have seen quite a few different people, who I ended up making out with (kissing only) - this was 7-10 days ago.

On Thursday, I got very drunk and arranged to meet a stranger online. We chatted and kissed a bit, I ended up giving him a hand and blow job. He came, but onto the floor, I didn't have any contact with semen or blood. We didn't have sex either.

The next morning (about 10 hours later) I notice that my glands are slightly swollen. The very corners of my mouth have very tiny little spots that are crusty and dry.

Is this just a coincidence? Would an STD take longer to show? What I mean is, could I have caught something from all the non-sexual making out I was doing 10 days ago, or could it be from the sexual contact I had the day before these mild symptoms showed up?

Its Tonsillitis. Swollen glands making it difficult to swallow anything and probably slight pain in the neck but it nothing an antibiotic cant cure; IT DEFINATELY NOT aids/hiv not sure about stds. Within the following week it should clear up if not check with a doctor.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 4
Original post by ken2
Its Tonsillitis. Swollen glands making it difficult to swallow anything and probably slight pain in the neck but it nothing an antibiotic cant cure; IT DEFINATELY NOT aids/hiv not sure about stds. Within the following week it should clear up if not check with a doctor.

I don't have tonsils, there was no pain swallowing. I've definitely been exposed to something, otherwise gland swelling wouldn't have happened. Whenever I am exposed to something weird, my glands swell up e.g. after hepatitis/typhoid injections.
Reply 5
I don't have tonsils, there was no pain swallowing. I've definitely been exposed to something, otherwise gland swelling wouldn't have happened. Whenever I am exposed to something weird, my glands swell up e.g. after hepatitis/typhoid injections.

Probably a reaction to the injection; Try a syrup formula or tablet substitute instead, if there is any.

Reply 6
Original post by ken2
Probably a reaction to the injection; Try a syrup formula or tablet substitute instead, if there is any.

I didn't say I just had the injection, I said once upon a time I did and the same thing happened did you even read what I wrote?
Reply 7
I didn't say I just had the injection, I said once upon a time I did and the same thing happened did you even read what I wrote?

There is nothing wrong.

Reply 8
bumped
OP, I kissed 17 guys in one night before, a few days later I had a killer sore throat and a cold sore....

That was a very long time ago and am fine now, so from all that making out i would guess youve just picked up a virus or something.

However, monitor it for a week and if its not better go to GP/sex clinic.
Original post by pinkangelgirl
OP, I kissed 17 guys in one night before, a few days later I had a killer sore throat and a cold sore....

That was a very long time ago and am fine now, so from all that making out i would guess youve just picked up a virus or something.

However, monitor it for a week and if its not better go to GP/sex clinic.

How did this happen?
Original post by Wilfred Little
How did this happen?

Sadness, depression and loneliness mixed with alochol= bad combo

thank goodness its far in the past lol.
You almost certainly have not caught HIV from this. the chances of him even having it are incredibly slim, even if he did, it's very, very very unlikely for you to have caught it.

http://www.avert.org/oral-sex.htm

As for the swollen glands, well, you kissed a lot of people, that's a lot of mouth germs.
Reply 13
Original post by salty_candy
You almost certainly have not caught HIV from this. the chances of him even having it are incredibly slim, even if he did, it's very, very very unlikely for you to have caught it.

http://www.avert.org/oral-sex.htm

As for the swollen glands, well, you kissed a lot of people, that's a lot of mouth germs.

Sorry, I should make clear that I am MSM (man who has sex with men).

He didn't cum in my mouth, he came elsewhere so I only sucked his penis.. could germs/possible pre cum on his head give me HIV? Are there any things I need to watch out for over the next week that could be symptomatic of HIV? Also, this happened while 'dogging' so worried that the other guy has done this so often he has STDs.

The swollen glands are - slight swollen gland on neck and slight swollen gland on underarm which have gone down after a day.

I only ask because I haven't had these symptoms before after having sexual contact with other men.

He didn't cum in my mouth, he came elsewhere so I only sucked his penis.. could germs/possible pre cum on his head give me HIV? Are there any things I need to watch out for over the next week that could be symptomatic of HIV? Also, this happened while 'dogging' so worried that the other guy has done this so often he has STDs.

The swollen glands are - slight swollen gland on neck and slight swollen gland on underarm which have gone down after a day.

I only ask because I haven't had these symptoms before after having sexual contact with other men.

Chances are still pretty slim, read the HIV section on the link I posted.
you could have contracted an STI, but it's unlikely, actually most of the information you asked for is in that link. short answer is yes, you could (though probably not) have caught something but I severely doubt it's HIV, it's nowhere near as easy to catch as people think it is.
You should go get yourself checked out at a clinic though, even if it's just to put your mind at rest.

from the NHS website, the early symptoms of contracting HIV are:
fever
sore throat
tiredness
joint pain
muscle pain
swollen glands (nodes)
a blotchy rash

Those things are pretty common symptoms though so absolutely do not worry, I didn't even want to post them here because the chances of you having it are basically zero and those symptoms are so vague. But I figured you'd google anyway. Just go get a check, it's nowhere near as scary as it sounds, promise!

Edit: Whilst I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, in future though be more careful when doing anything sexual if you don't know the sexual history of the person you're doing it with (not preaching at all, I've had my fair share on unsafe sex, but it's not worth the worry or the risk)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15

Yes but given that it was oral sex the same applies.

And the kissing multiple people meaning a lot of mouth germs still stands too.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i

Quick Reply

Latest