The Student Room Group

Doctor Who: David Tennant vs Matt Smith

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Cephalus
I absolutely love Torchwood :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jack Harkness just makes the whole show :smile:

Torchwood fans *cries*

Torchwood was my freeking life a few years ago, I love it. A shame Children of Earth was so terrible.
Reply 81
Original post by Ambry
Torchwood fans *cries*

Torchwood was my freeking life a few years ago, I love it. A shame Children of Earth was so terrible.

I know right, Children of Earth wasn't great. But I enjoyed Miracle Day
Reply 82
Original post by Cephalus
I know right, Children of Earth wasn't great. But I enjoyed Miracle Day

I think I am slightly biased towards disliking Children of Earth because they killed Ianto *cries* I have never got over that XD
We should really have a Torchwood thread.
Preferred David Tennant.

The Matt Smith era contains the only episode that's made me change channel - Amy's Choice. Only Midnight came close to that in the RTD/Tennant era.
I prefer David tennant but Matt smith has grown on me!

I just love doctor who :smile:

:smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Ambry
I think I am slightly biased towards disliking Children of Earth because they killed Ianto *cries* I have never got over that XD
We should really have a Torchwood thread.

I cried for hours when Ianto died! I never expected it! :frown:

I thought Children of Earth had a really good story line, Miracle Day was too long and I didn't like half of the new characters!

You should make a Torchwood thread!! :biggrin: <<< I made one about the Characters!
(edited 11 years ago)
I think Tennant will be regarded as the quintessential Doctor for many years to come. Suit and trainers guys, come on
Matt Smith is a better Doctor. However, the writing was better when Tennant was Doctor, making the episodes better, in my opinion.
I feel bad for Matt Smith so I voted for him. :cry2: To be honest, I couldn't call it between the two of them, they're too different.
Original post by The Hedonist
Matt Smith is a better Doctor. However, the writing was better when Tennant was Doctor, making the episodes better, in my opinion.

Ooh, you've just clarified my own opinion on the matter, and it's the direct opposite of yours! I think Tennant's Doctor was a slightly stronger and better developed character (maybe just because he did it for such a long time), but the writing and plotlines of the last few series have been the best ever.
Reply 90
Original post by Flibble22
I think Tennant will be regarded as the quintessential Doctor for many years to come. Suit and trainers guys, come on

Suit and trainers together are cool.
Original post by Norton1
Suit and trainers together are cool.

Absolutely. One day I'm gonna do the same thing just to shock the established order of things :cool:
Reply 92
I honestly preferred Tennant. Him and Billie Piper made for good TV back in the good ol' days
Reply 93
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Preferred David Tennant.

The Matt Smith era contains the only episode that's made me change channel - Amy's Choice. Only Midnight came close to that in the RTD/Tennant era.

I may be misunderstanding what you said here, but do you mean Midnight was one of your least favourite episodes? If so, I must strongly disagree. I'm currently re-watching from the start of Eccleston's series, and Midnight has probably been the best episode of the first four series.

Matt Smith is my favourite of the three newest Doctors, although none have been bad. While Tennant was amazing in the role (and I now prefer him to Eccleston), he feels like a person who happens to be a genius and really good at solving problems, whereas Smith actually seems like an alien who has come to Earth and tried to adapt certain customs.

It probably helps that I like long and ambitious storylines, which Moffatt has provided, whereas RTD's series were basically just collections of episodes.
11 is amazing, quirky, clumsy, brilliant with children and like everyone's best friend. I love him.

But 10 will ALWAYS be My Doctor. Tennant was superb and I miss his era dearly.
Maybe part of what's going on here is that most TSRians are around the age where Tennant is the iconic Doctor from the right time in their childhood. Because all the children who are young enough to have started watching Doctor Who when it was Matt Smith would see him as 'their' Doctor. I reckon even if they later watched Tennant episodes they wouldn't be able to shake off the feeling of Smith being theirs, just like we can't shake off the idea of Tennant being 'ours'.
David Tennant and Matt Smith are both good doctors; David got the best storylines though. The last series with Matt Smith was too...emotional. I wanted monsters - DALEKS, CYBERMEN, ALIENS!
Original post by Cerdog
I may be misunderstanding what you said here, but do you mean Midnight was one of your least favourite episodes? If so, I must strongly disagree. I'm currently re-watching from the start of Eccleston's series, and Midnight has probably been the best episode of the first four series.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I HATED Midnight, it took me ages to appreciate Blink and I never did warm to Love and Monsters. I know that's highly controversial, especially given one of my favourite episodes of the Matt Smith era is Victory of the Daleks, which had pretty bad reviews.
Reply 98
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
That's exactly what I'm saying. I HATED Midnight, it took me ages to appreciate Blink and I never did warm to Love and Monsters. I know that's highly controversial, especially given one of my favourite episodes of the Matt Smith era is Victory of the Daleks, which had pretty bad reviews.

To be fair, Love and Monsters was arguably the worst-received episode of New Who.

Out of curiosity, what do you look for in an episode of Doctor Who? Alternatively, what are other episodes you strongly like or dislike? I ask this because I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone else who disliked Midnight or (especially) Blink, and I'm interested in why you feel differently.
Reply 99
By far David remnant I no longer or very early watch doctor who.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending